Growing Vegtables under TPPA

More
8 years 9 months ago #39979 by RichardW
There seems to be a lot of rumors going around at the moment that under the TPPA growing our own food will be illegal, i for one dont believe it as its one of our human rights to grow a garden.

If it became illegal would you stop growing

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510262 by kindajojo
There have been a few threads on other sites taking the mickey about this rumour.....really funny ..ie starting an underground movement for gardeners...
I favour the hydroponic systems in the roof ...but they are mostly illegal now anyway as are some of the other crops some gardeners grow.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510265 by Stikkibeek
Probably won't be anywhere left to grow vegetables in urban areas if housing continues to encroach on every bit of land surrounding cities.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 9 months ago #510266 by Sandra Pedersen
Good evening Richard fancy seeing you here. We have more in common than we knew.
Cheers Sandra

sandra pedersen

More
8 years 9 months ago #510282 by RichardW

Sandra Pedersen;517172 wrote: Good evening Richard fancy seeing you here. We have more in common than we knew.
Cheers Sandra

File Attachment:
.........oookkk......Hi Sandra, can you give me a clue :D

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

More
8 years 9 months ago #510288 by Blueberry

RichardW;517166 wrote: There seems to be a lot of rumors going around at the moment that under the TPPA growing our own food will be illegal, i for one dont believe it as its one of our human rights to grow a garden.

If it became illegal would you stop growing

that might be an urban myth, but i do think that attempts at stopping us from harvesting our own seeds as opposed to buying the commercial hybrid seeds are not so far out of the realm of possibilities.

and with the wusses we have for a government, i am really glad i don't have kids, and don't need to worry about too much of my future any more.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
8 years 9 months ago #510303 by RichardW
Yes harvesting our own seeds from there new commercial varieties maybe,but to say i can no longer carry on saving seed from my landrace varieties that ive developed myself !!, problem is there's people out there that believe it.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510309 by Sandra Pedersen
From the garden page on facebook

sandra pedersen

More
8 years 9 months ago #510328 by RichardW

Sandra Pedersen;517218 wrote: From the garden page on facebook

Yes of coarse, now i recognize your name :)

More
8 years 9 months ago #510333 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Growing Vegtables under TPPA
Trying to stop people gardening would be about as successful as trying to stop them making their own alcohol.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510334 by Stikkibeek

kai;517244 wrote: Trying to stop people gardening would be about as successful as trying to stop them making their own alcohol.

They tried it once under the early years and prohibition, but that gave rise to a very good moonshine whiskey known today as Hokonui.
www.hokonuiwhiskey.com/hokonui.html

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 9 months ago #510340 by RichardW
Never heard of it before,might have to put that on my xmax shopping list

More
8 years 9 months ago #510357 by Scuba_Steve

kai;517244 wrote: Trying to stop people gardening would be about as successful as trying to stop them making their own alcohol.

I don't know... from what I hear Monsanto is having more success than the prohibition & the TPPA is set to allow them access to stomp all over NZ too

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
8 years 9 months ago #510670 by RichardW
Its great to see that few wouldn't except been told they cant remain in control of how they maintain there subsistence.

Been thinking lately on how 'they' could suppress my ability to maintain my own seed lines. They could take my seed, put a plant protection right out on it and then sue me for growing there seed, how would i know that they had taken it through the patent process if they change the name.... i wouldn't, even when it was put out for public viewing and objections,with out genetic testing i wouldn't even know it was mine.
There is one way to safeguard against this and that is, we need our seeds put into long term storage now, this needs an affidavit by someone like a justice of the peace who in turn would be the only person with access to the stored seed. This way if 'they' tried to sue we could prove that 'they' stole our seed and that would give a strong case to counter sue.
Whats everyone's thoughts.......?

More
8 years 9 months ago #511356 by Name123
I agree Richard, I think based on what I've read happening overseas where varieties have been effectively stolen by seed companies, if the variety means anything to you its worth putting some verifiable seed aside in a legally valid manner.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds