Grafting time again

More
8 years 8 months ago #510192 by morioka
Replied by morioka on topic Grafting time again
You can get buddy tape from Egmont seeds or tm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #510369 by JustinNeMo
Replied by JustinNeMo on topic Grafting time again
I used electrical tape and have no problem with it. I grafted about 100 apple trees last season on fresh mm106 rootstock with about 70% take.

Half of the grafts I planted them straight into the ground. The other half I have them in planter bags using compost as potting mix.

The end result, I noticed, is that those I planted in planter bags did significantly better than those in the ground, with significantly better shoot extensions.

When I dig out those that I planted straight into the ground to replace with those from planter bags, I noticed the root development wasn't that great with the in situ ones, compared with the planter bags.

I come to conclusion that the ability of the rootstock to grow roots (planted in potting mix, friable, free draining, good moisture levels, a controlled environment) significantly affects the scionwood take and proliferation.

I've also use grafting tool, that does a omega cut, despite comments saying it will only work with wood of the same diameter, I've done mine with wood half the diameter and it still takes.

Only thing, I don't have any luck grafting stonefruit of any sorts. Hopefully some better luck this season.

Other reason it doesn't take is the scionwood wasn't fresh. Too short. The top end wasn't sealed off with pruning paste, thus drying out.

More
8 years 8 months ago #511357 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Grafting time again

JustinNeMo;517285 wrote: I used electrical tape and have no problem with it. I grafted about 100 apple trees last season on fresh mm106 rootstock with about 70% take.

Half of the grafts I planted them straight into the ground. The other half I have them in planter bags using compost as potting mix.

I don't know if anyone else subscribes to Geoff Lawton's permaculture videos which he uses to advertise his online course, but he travels all over the world and visits interesting places doing permaculture.

One of these was in Hong Kong or Taiwan. He visited a park center or public garden or something, and showed the pots they use. They were riddled with a grid of holes around the sides to allow the roots through if I recall correctly self pruning because of the access to the air and to prevent circling of the roots as well as encouraging growth.

Also, have you grafted this year with electrical tape and can you show what a competently done graft looks like when completed?

More
8 years 8 months ago #511385 by JustinNeMo
Replied by JustinNeMo on topic Grafting time again
This is my first attempt at grafting. Done the cut with a knife.
https://2icorchardist.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/2014-07-31-16-31-47.jpg?w=490

Guerilla grafting of stonefruit on some wild plum growing by the road.
https://2icorchardist.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/2014-07-16-15-15-44.jpg?w=490

The graft has taken. Its the only stonefruit graft that has taken out of many I have done.
https://2icorchardist.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/2014-10-16-11-49-26.jpg?w=490

Saw this in a nursery when I went back to my birth country. Air layering to propagate citrus.
https://2icorchardist.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/2014-06-09-12-10-03.jpg?w=490

More
8 years 7 months ago #512666 by olmec
Replied by olmec on topic Grafting time again
I can vouch for buddy tape. Much better than electrical tape for getting a tight seal and degrades over time.

Haven't had much luck with peach / nectarine (have tried a bunch more this year) but apples, pear, apricot usually work.

low impact rural living - follow the journey at blockhill.co.nz

More
6 years 10 months ago #533504 by Evergrow
Replied by Evergrow on topic Grafting time again
Hi
Interesting you mention the 'air pruning' pots. You can get such a thing in NZ, but they are a double layer, rot proof bag which can go in or above ground. Just search for EverGrow Bags.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds