Shade Tree

More
8 years 10 months ago #39764 by Remrem
Shade Tree was created by Remrem
Most of our paddocks have some sort of shade, but I'd like to plant a tree in a couple that don't to provide shade for our cattle. The first paddock i'd like to sort is quite wet as we get a lot of water run off from the road running past. Can anyone recommend a good shade tree that doesn't mind wet feet and isn't toxic if the cattle have a nibble. Fast-ish growing would be good too as i'm fairly impatient [;)]

Farming on The Main Drag in the Rangitikei since Feb 2013

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508132 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Shade Tree
Poplar, willow, casurina, possibly the three fastest growing trees that like the wet, but they would need to be protected from cattle for at least the first 5 years

More
8 years 10 months ago #508136 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Shade Tree
Is there any way of diverting or containing the road run off so it doesn't fill your paddock? Ditching or drainage pipe from a collection sump...

Willow doesn't mind damp areas, but be careful with your selection as several are listed as "weeds". Cattle love willow so you may need to protect the tree.

Poplar may be suitable as it also is edible.

Native NZ trees: slower growing
White Pine or Kahikatea. Naturally inhabits swampy land in multiple tree stands. Quite attractive tree. NZ's tallest forest giant up to 60m. Growth rate round 30cm per year (+/-).
www.projectkahikatea.net.nz/
maxa.maf.govt.nz/sff/about-projects/sear...ve-conifer-trees.pdf

One thought... does the wet paddock have higher ground to plant the shade tree on? Cattle need dry ground to rest on... and many feet milling round in shade will make a bog hole if the tree is planted in damp spot.
If you have a dry spot available, you may be able to plant some of the larger nut trees to serve double duty... shade for cattle and food for you.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508174 by Remrem
Replied by Remrem on topic Shade Tree
Thanks for the reply! This particular paddock gets road run off on two sides and the water travels through it from the much higher road to the creek on the other side of the paddock. Its our safest paddock for newborns (we call it the nursery) so is shut up now to give the mums good feed as soon as they have their calves. The shade is really needed in summer when its much drier so less likely to get a bog from them milling - the paddock drains OK if its just a shower. Will look at the kahikatea and be patient thanks :-)

Farming on The Main Drag in the Rangitikei since Feb 2013

More
8 years 10 months ago #508179 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Shade Tree
Remember that the trees must be planted well away from the bottom edge of the slope that goes up to the road (the "batter"). Down here that is 10 meters, and the tree must not shade the road between 10 am and 2 pm on the shortest day.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508192 by muri
The problem with kaihikatea is that they are incredibly slow. I have plants around 5 years old, not even 1m high yet, growing in very wet conditions. They are also an upright tree with little branch development low down so not great shade trees.
If you want natives you can try tea tree which is fast and likes wet and can provide some shading with time

More
8 years 10 months ago #508209 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Shade Tree

muri;514873 wrote: ......
If you want natives you can try tea tree which is fast and likes wet and can provide some shading with time

Note that for a fast growing 'tea tree' kanuka is quicker and larger than manuka.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
8 years 10 months ago #508216 by muri

Organix;514892 wrote: Note that for a fast growing 'tea tree' kanuka is quicker and larger than manuka.

Yes, but the point about Kanuka is it doesnt really like the wet which is why I didnt suggest it

More
8 years 10 months ago #508235 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Shade Tree

muri;514899 wrote: Yes, but the point about Kanuka is it doesnt really like the wet which is why I didnt suggest it

And it still takes about 30 years to make a decent shade tree.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 10 months ago #508240 by Barnrat
Replied by Barnrat on topic Shade Tree
Puriri are the best shade species in the North and very fast growing, but I'm not sure that they would handle your more Southern climate...?

More
8 years 10 months ago #508247 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Shade Tree

Barnrat;514924 wrote: Puriri are the best shade species in the North and very fast growing, but I'm not sure that they would handle your more Southern climate...?

And because stock find them extremely tasty, you'd have to fence them off.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 10 months ago #508252 by muri
I cant grow Puriri here in Auckland, but would love to as I think they are lovely trees

More
8 years 9 months ago #508523 by Barnrat
Replied by Barnrat on topic Shade Tree

Stikkibeek;514933 wrote: And because stock find them extremely tasty, you'd have to fence them off.

Not too difficult to do if your serious about a long term shade project. Four posts and some wooden rails around the young tree, and expect the lower overhanging branches to eventually get grazed.

In my area almost every paddock has a few gnarly old Puriri trees standing like huge umbrellas with an undercut of neatly grazed branches to the exact height of a cattle beast's reach.

More
8 years 9 months ago #508622 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Shade Tree
Puriri trees are introduces plants to Maude Island (Marlborough Sounds) where they grow very well, and to Chatham Islands where they don't grow so well. So if they will grow in Bulls will depend on whether the soil conditions are right. On our soil totaras grow very easily, but beeches are very difficult to keep alive. 20 km away beeches grow easily but totaras don't.

More
8 years 9 months ago #508731 by loopi
Replied by loopi on topic Shade Tree
I'd cast my vote for a willow like crack willow ( even though it is a weed species in wetlands and marginal lands) as there are only male crack willows in NZ it can only spread by the branchlets ('cracks') establishing roots and the cattle will polish them off ... and any eat any low branches and keep it trimmed underneath i.e. like Muri says it will need protection until it establishes. Willow is good fodder when there is not so much grass too so I hear.

Also re kahikatea and kanuka - neither can handle cattle trampling around there roots - I have a picture somewhere of remnant kanuka 'forest' of Canterbury looking tragic and wretched.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds