Peaches still not ripe

More
9 years 1 month ago #39364 by llvonn
Is anyone else having this problem. Usually my Black Boy peaches are picked at the end of February, but my tree is loaded and they are still firmly attached to the tree. They are also a really good size, but just not ripe. This summer season has been completely wrong.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504075 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Peaches still not ripe
Same here! They are still very firmly hanging on to the tree and the birds have been ignoring them so far.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504077 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Peaches still not ripe
My Hiawatha has just been picked but my golden queen still has a few.... the seasons are certainly changing.

Being inundated with passion fruit and gala apples too right now.

Far Nth Waikato, west coast.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504081 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Peaches still not ripe
I have three peaches on my hiawatha tree (planted this winter), but they are still holding on. I must check them. They are on the small side - but I really wanted to try them out.
My Black Boy has branches that are touching the ground and the odd peach is being pecked by my chook (it's in their enclosure - so I'm not worried). The wait is giving me time to organise my preserving jars.

My passionfruit has not done well, what way do they entwine - clockwise or anticlockwise?

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504088 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Peaches still not ripe
Nectarines not ripe yet, except the damaged ones. Black boy peach not ripe, with hard not great sized fruit, looking like they're in it for the long haul.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504101 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Peaches still not ripe

llvonn;510310 wrote: I have three peaches on my hiawatha tree (planted this winter), but they are still holding on. I must check them. They are on the small side - but I really wanted to try them out.
My Black Boy has branches that are touching the ground and the odd peach is being pecked by my chook (it's in their enclosure - so I'm not worried). The wait is giving me time to organise my preserving jars.

My passionfruit has not done well, what way do they entwine - clockwise or anticlockwise?

Have you watered in epsom salts on your passionfruit roots? Cheaper if you buy it from the laundry aisle at the supermarket than the popular brand name in the gardening section... as for entwining, mine doesn't have a set plan, just where it goes and held up on the fence with baling twine.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504113 by llvonn
This is the second time I had planted a passionfruit. The first I forgot and it spraled on the ground. A friend tied it up and it promptly died. This one is not yet big enough to grab the main support (my dck, so I will need to tie something so it can grow. It is a vanilla passionfruit so hopefully it will not die where it is.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504118 by JustinNeMo
Replied by JustinNeMo on topic Peaches still not ripe
I had a peach tree here that have loads of peaches every year and never ripens. I'll put it down to either being too exposed to the elements (wind) or lack of certain nutrients.

I planted my passionfruits underneath the tagasaste and they climbed right into it.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504124 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Peaches still not ripe
We finished our three weeks ago, so i think maybe you have had a cooler than normal summer.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 1 month ago #504128 by Andrea1
Uh... nope, not here anyway.... MUCH hotter than normal, and much drier as well. We usually get warm to hot days, and the nights cool down considerably. This summer, many nights were up near 20C. There's also only about 1/3 of the normal sized BB peach crop, but the peaches are bigger than usual.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504138 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Peaches still not ripe
What about blossom time then. Later than usual?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 1 month ago #504156 by wendy2011
Replied by wendy2011 on topic Peaches still not ripe

llvonn;510301 wrote: Is anyone else having this problem. Usually my Black Boy peaches are picked at the end of February, but my tree is loaded and they are still firmly attached to the tree. They are also a really good size, but just not ripe. This summer season has been completely wrong.

Our 9 black boy peaches hanged on to the 1 year old tree firmly as well, but they are ripe, I just picked them and tried, yummy. That is the first time we have black boy and I didnt' know when to pick. When I felt 2 of them had soft skin when pressed, I picked them but they tasted a bit too ripe, so I picked all the rest, and they are yummy, juicy and sweet. We live in Waikato.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504178 by Barnrat
Replied by Barnrat on topic Peaches still not ripe
I picked my last peaches as the storm was approaching last week and preserved four jars. My earlier variety were finished in late January.

I need to plant a late variety like Golden Queen and ideally a Black Boy for luscious continuity.

Right now feasting on Figs, Grapes, Mandarins and Apples, and picking Pears but they need to ripen off the tree.

Still eating last years figs preserved in Brandy, and not harvesting so many this year that I can preserve. The next variety is just about to ripen and they are loaded, so I'm hoping the weather allows good ripening for preserving. If it rains they get water overload and ferment as they ripen. OK there could be advantages in that, but I'll leave it to the birds to get tipsy on them...!!!

More
9 years 1 month ago #504183 by Andrea1
Same flowering time as usual here. I've also just noticed that hardly any of our herb plants have flowered this past summer! There should still be plenty of flowers on for the bees, but there aren't any flowers anywhere on the herbs. Feeding the bees in late summer/early autumn is one of the reasons I have so many herbs plants...

More
9 years 1 month ago #504328 by llvonn
Well while I was feeding the chooks (who have been eating the peaches that touch the ground) I checked them again. They are still firm and do not come away from the tree when gently twisted, however they now smell like peaches so they are getting there. At this rate they are a month behind schedule. Looking forward to eating and bottling them.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds