I did everything wrong, so why?

More
9 years 2 months ago #39348 by kai
have I got the best ever harvest of tomatoes? I did not feed them, water them prune them or stake them. I am now picking a couple of kilos per day from 4 plants. They are sprawled out on the ground, hanging over the edge of the bed. The fruit are ripening in complete shade from the overhanging branches and fruit. No caterpillars or pests.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #503979 by catherinelee33
The tomatoes in the garden in the place I just bought are like this -- sprawling all over, no stakes or laterals removed. They are fruiting ok but some are rotting cos they're hard to find under all the foliage. She had done a permaculture course and I'm not sure if that's what they recommend? They were fed with worm wee I think.

More
9 years 2 months ago #504044 by Anakei
For goodness sake save some seeds - you may have discovered the perfect tomato :D

Have you any idea what they are? And do they taste good?

I sometimes think that we gardeners over think stuff - sometimes it seems the more attention we lavish the worse the outcome is. Healthy neglect may be the key:rolleyes:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
9 years 2 months ago #504045 by Deanna
I have them tied up in the tunnel house, outside with supportive frames in one garden and planted in last years potting mix from the tunnel house along a sheep wire fence fending for themslves, all are doing perfectly well.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 2 months ago #504064 by kai
Replied by kai on topic I did everything wrong, so why?
Here are the two types I have. The red variety is actually ready for picking when it is like the far right in colour. It has an unusual shape a bit like a wooden Russian doll but a flatter head. It has a firm flesh with fewer seeds than your average tomato.

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
9 years 2 months ago #504079 by max2
Mine are more rounded in shape of medium size. For various reasons they were planted inbetween crops of corn. Initially staked and then not.... I have had fabulous tomatoes off them without blight as my cheap plastic house ones have had despite window and door open.

My heritage seeds failed to germinate though.... so buggered if I know.

More
9 years 2 months ago #504090 by Name123
I've had decent sized plants with plenty of nice big green tomatoes this year, but like my peaches and nectarines, the only tomato I've had that has ripened was damaged. There's another one coming up, but I suspect it's more of the same.

Time to look for some more green tomato recipes. Got an unspectacular green tomato chutney in the cupboard, and made some okay fried green tomatoes last year.

More
9 years 2 months ago #504110 by Anakei
I knew an old boy who used to pull his tomatoes up by the roots at the end of the season and hang them upside down in the greenhouse, the theory being that the remaining green tomatoes will ripen off slowly. I haven't tried it myself but would consider it for a late crop. You can only do so much with green tomatoes. :(

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
9 years 2 months ago #504114 by kai
Green tomatoes I always bring inside and plonk on a table or windowsill in full sun, they still ripen.

More
9 years 2 months ago #504116 by JustinNeMo
this is a good year for tomatoes ;)

More
9 years 2 months ago #504140 by RichardW
This is why ive thought about getting a few of these tomatocage.com/index.html that way tomato plants can just sprawl there way up and over them,would have less rooting being off the ground.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
9 years 2 months ago #504146 by Stikkibeek

Name123;510319 wrote: I've had decent sized plants with plenty of nice big green tomatoes this year, but like my peaches and nectarines, the only tomato I've had that has ripened was damaged. There's another one coming up, but I suspect it's more of the same.

Time to look for some more green tomato recipes. Got an unspectacular green tomato chutney in the cupboard, and made some okay fried green tomatoes last year.

My mother used to make great green tomato jam. Think it was an Aunt Daisy recipe which I might still have in my inherited cook book. From memory it had slivers of candied ginger in it. If interested, let me know and I will look it up and post in recipes.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 2 months ago #504149 by kai

RichardW;510376 wrote: This is why ive thought about getting a few of these tomatocage.com/index.html that way tomato plants can just sprawl there way up and over them,would have less rooting being off the ground.

A bit of sheep netting rolled up does the same thing. I used to use them for beans

More
9 years 1 month ago #504739 by rivercottage

kai;510291 wrote: Here are the two types I have. The red variety is actually ready for picking when it is like the far right in colour. It has an unusual shape a bit like a wooden Russian doll but a flatter head. It has a firm flesh with fewer seeds than your average tomato.

Kai these look exactly like what I'm getting off some of my Roma plants. I always thought Roma were oval shaped but half of mine have a waist and a big bottom. Brilliant for drying. I have a dehydrator but you can do it in a low oven. Store in olive oil.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504741 by kai
I have got a dehydrator. The lot that I picked today I will probably dry. I have put loads in the freezer and will use in place of the tinned tomatoes I usually use.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds