griselinia littoralis height?

More
9 years 1 month ago #504061 by muri
Replied by muri on topic griselinia littoralis height?
I wouldnt be tipping plants that are only 12cm high, they are only cuttings at that size.
As i have already stated, I wouldnt plant that close together, you will have trees competing against each other

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504085 by wendy2011

muri;510287 wrote: I wouldnt be tipping plants that are only 12cm high, they are only cuttings at that size.
As i have already stated, I wouldnt plant that close together, you will have trees competing against each other

...But I do want the trees to grow taller, so I thougt I need to grown them close say 50cm apart so they can grow upwards, maybe to 3m or even 3.5m.....?

Yes you are right, they are just 1 year old cuttings which I bought for $1/each. Hope I can look after them well at this young. :-)

More
9 years 1 month ago #504092 by muri
I have one year old cuttings, they are 40cm high

More
9 years 1 month ago #504155 by wendy2011

muri;510322 wrote: I have one year old cuttings, they are 40cm high

Oh, :-)

Do you cut them as 40cm long when you did the cuttings, or they grew to 40cm within a year?

I did some cuttings myself yesterday, and the longest one I made is 25cm. First time doing that but I don't know if I have done all right at all. I cut the tip , and then take off all the leaves on the lower half of the stem, then dip the bottom in honey, then I planted them. (before I plant them, I actually just sink them in water to keep them moistured.)

Is there anything I did wrong?

Thanks.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504157 by muri
I buy my plants in as I dont have the facilities to do cuttings and I get through maybe 1000 griselinia a year which I sell.
You may have some success but probably just planting them into the ground without roots will not give you plants
The growers take cuttings at certain times of the year as there are different types of cuttings to be taken and they are put in to cutting trays and not planted in the ground until roots have developed
Usually the cuttings they do tend to be around the 12 - 15cm mark, not taller

More
9 years 1 month ago #504177 by Barnrat
Late Summer till about now is the right time to take cuttings. Cut approx 15cm and remove most of the leaves (leave the tips). Cut at a sharp angle with a very sharp blade and dip straight into root hormone powder, then plant into a mix of 3/4 clean river sand to 1/4 potting mix. They should take root within about 6 weeks, then pot on into straight potting mix and grow for several months before planting out. It's all a slow business.

Your supplier that advised planting 50cm apart was trying to sell you more trees. 80cm to 1 metre apart will create a very thick hedgerow.

The larger leaf variety grows taller than the regular griselinia littoralis, and is not so good for close together hedgerow planting.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504254 by wendy2011

Barnrat;510417 wrote: Late Summer till about now is the right time to take cuttings. Cut approx 15cm and remove most of the leaves (leave the tips). Cut at a sharp angle with a very sharp blade and dip straight into root hormone powder, then plant into a mix of 3/4 clean river sand to 1/4 potting mix. They should take root within about 6 weeks, then pot on into straight potting mix and grow for several months before planting out. It's all a slow business.

Your supplier that advised planting 50cm apart was trying to sell you more trees. 80cm to 1 metre apart will create a very thick hedgerow.

The larger leaf variety grows taller than the regular griselinia littoralis, and is not so good for close together hedgerow planting.

Thanks for the details for doing cuttings. I did my cuttings in a rush, and they are in ground already now. I will just leave them and see what will happen. If they die, I will follow your way next time when I do it. But hope they can survive. I planted them along the south wall so no sun for them, and I water them a bit about morning tea time and before bed to keep them moistured hoping it will work as a moisture tent for them. :-) basically just trying, better than just thinking. ;-)

More
9 years 1 month ago #504255 by wendy2011

muri;510394 wrote: I buy my plants in as I dont have the facilities to do cuttings and I get through maybe 1000 griselinia a year which I sell.
You may have some success but probably just planting them into the ground without roots will not give you plants
The growers take cuttings at certain times of the year as there are different types of cuttings to be taken and they are put in to cutting trays and not planted in the ground until roots have developed
Usually the cuttings they do tend to be around the 12 - 15cm mark, not taller

I read a little bit of material, it says for hard wood cutting, it can be 25cm, but if it is semi-hard wood cutting, it needs to be shorter. When I looked at the things I got from my friend, I wasn't too sure if they were hard wood or semi- hard wood, the stems looked quite hard, so I thought I would just try the hard-wood cutting length. Fun trying new things though. :-)

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds