Who makes seaweed tea/liquid fertiliser?

More
9 years 2 months ago #39290 by ruthie_rufus
I made seaweed tea, put it in a bucket with water and a loose fitting lid a couple of months ago. It wreaks!!!! Dosnt really matter because the plants Love love love it!
My mum also makes it in napier, but hers dosnt smell at all. Different seaweed maybe?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #503547 by Anakei
Yup it does [xx(] So does comfrey tea and horse manure tea. The only tea I've tried making that doesn't smell is a soil activator involving worm castings, molasses and oxygen.
Oh and urine providing its fresh (what?? its only us that eat the lettuce :D )

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
9 years 2 months ago #503554 by ruthie_rufus
Oh thats good, i thought id somehow done something wrong.

More
9 years 2 months ago #503556 by muri
If you stir it quite frequently, you dont get a lot of smell.
The smell comes from the anaerobic nature of what you are creating so the more you stir, the more there will be air circulation

More
9 years 2 months ago #503559 by ruthie_rufus
Thanks, will try this.

More
9 years 2 months ago #503568 by Kiwi303
I'd have to go find it, and can't be bothered, but in an online story in Mother Earth News from the US I saw a paddle wheel in a creek turning a repurposed car differential to stir a barrel. Keeping the mix in the barrel aerated and avoiding separation of the solids.

Do you have a creek and a set of tools? :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
9 years 2 months ago #503569 by muri

Kiwi303;509725 wrote: I'd have to go find it, and can't be bothered, but in an online story in Mother Earth News from the US I saw a paddle wheel in a creek turning a repurposed car differential to stir a barrel. Keeping the mix in the barrel aerated and avoiding separation of the solids.

Do you have a creek and a set of tools? :D

Maybe some horses or donkeys can push a wheel.
I dont really think it needs that much aeration Kiwi but certainly a once a week or more while it is breaking down will speed up the process and reduce the smell

More
9 years 2 months ago #503584 by ruthie_rufus
Haha, thanks guys ����

More
9 years 2 months ago #503585 by Anakei

muri;509713 wrote: If you stir it quite frequently, you don't get a lot of smell.
The smell comes from the anaerobic nature of what you are creating so the more you stir, the more there will be air circulation

For the soil activator I run an aquarium oxygenator which works really well. I never thought to use it in the manure tea , duh! You can get solar powered ones for ponds so I will try this next time.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
9 years 2 months ago #503590 by muri
I have a small home made 'paddle' that I use for stirring my biodynamic mixtures and i just stir the brews with this which i think will be far more effective than oxygenators , donkeys, horses, or a wheel in the creek.
What you want to be able to do is to stir up the sludge at the bottom so that it becomes part of the mixture and the activity helps it to break down. I dont think an oxygenator wont do that, the seaweed is very heavy and dense

More
8 years 3 months ago #518864 by olmec
I have taken my compost tea creation to a new level recently by introducing a venturi mixer that I use in 2 ways:

1. To top up the drum with highly oxygenated water
2. To mix a small portion into irrigation water as it is being pumped out to a sprinkler etc.

Simple, no moving parts....
www.blockhill.co.nz/what/food_sustainanc...ing_with_compost_tea

low impact rural living - follow the journey at blockhill.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds