Feijoa trees?

More
9 years 11 months ago #486127 by JustinNeMo
Replied by JustinNeMo on topic Feijoa trees?
How do I propagate feijoa via cuttings? When is a good time? A plant that I ordered just arrived with really long leaders that I am going to cut back, so I thought might as well try to root them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #486133 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Feijoa trees?
Fine to do it now. Its quite a good idea when planting trees or plants, to cut them back and prune them at planting time. It enables the roots to get better established as they are not supporting so much foliage.
If you are taking hard wood cuttings, ie not soft tip cuttings, you do that in the winter
On the other hand, the cuttings would probably root more quickly in the spring
But I would give it a go now and chop the growing tops off the cuttings so they are not supporting soft growth

More
9 years 1 month ago #503915 by Henry
Replied by Henry on topic Feijoa trees?
Question from a newbie. We have moved into this new place with a huge Feijoa tree, like more than 2 m tall. We moved in January and since then all we saw were a few sporadic smallish Feijoas. What does the plant need for better fruiting next season?

More
9 years 1 month ago #503916 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Feijoa trees?
Henry it is possible it is one of the older types of feijoa, in which case, it needs a pollinator. Have a look over your neighbour's fences and see if they have one, if not, you may need to start first with a compatible pollinator. If there are other trees nearby, then a judicial pruning; thin out a bit of the older wood, and clip lightly back to a reasonable shape. Feed it now with a good citrus fertilizer and mulch. They do like lawn clippings which I think I have already said in your other thread, just not right up against the trunk. Horse manure, or sheep pellets if you have no access to the horse manure also help. Next flowering season, if it has thousands of blossoms, don't be afraid to take some of them off, and make sure it has water over the summer if the summer is really dry again. What is the soil type you have?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 1 month ago #503982 by catherinelee33
Replied by catherinelee33 on topic Feijoa trees?
LongRidge if you find it difficult to give away spare fruit, please contact this organisation!
www.pickfruit.co.nz -- a charity that collects fruit for those in need.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503984 by wendy2011
Replied by wendy2011 on topic Feijoa trees?

greenfingers;489467 wrote: Sheep poo or chicken and duck poo is what I use here. I collect buckets of sheep poo from my in-laws and whenever I scoop out chicken poo from the hen house it gets spread around the fruit trees. The ducks are more accommodating, they sleep under the fruit trees and poop there for me :)

I don't use commercial granular fruit tree fertilisers as the chickens and ducks are housed in our orchard and I don't want them eating the fertiliser.

You mean you use the chicken poo directly around your fruit trees? I hear chicken poo is too strong before being decomposted and might burn veges, but I am not sure aobut fruit trees...

More
9 years 1 week ago #505220 by olmec
Replied by olmec on topic Feijoa trees?
Another thing to consider with fejoa (and other frost tender fruit trees) is to interplant with tagasaste. These are very fast growing evergreen legume (nitrogen fixing) trees (also sheep love to eat them).

I use them to help feed the neighbouring trees and provide lots of green trimmings for mulch while also giving some wind and frost protection to young trees they overhang. I believe they would also help prevent heavy snow from damaging the fejoa plants.

You should be a little cautious about using horse manure as most animals are given powerful worm killers that can (I have heard) continue to kill worms when added to the garden.

low impact rural living - follow the journey at blockhill.co.nz

More
6 years 10 months ago #533083 by Clarkee
Replied by Clarkee on topic Feijoa trees?
We moved into a house where there were two trees, they would produce fairly average, small fruit.
After cutting down a heap of pine trees bringing them home but by but for firewood we end up with a huge amount of bark.
I alternated the bark and our lawn clippings under the trees. The fruit went from average to very large and the tree produced more. During fruiting season I did water about once every week.or two, although even in Summer under the mulch the ground was wet so probably unnecessary but I wanted lots of fejoas!
Mulch mulch mulch :-)

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds