Feijoa trees?

More
10 years 1 month ago #485575 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Feijoa trees?

muri;489295 wrote:
Firstly they are frost tender when young so small young trees planted now could be damaged by frost if you are prone to it.

Yes grafted varieties are with temps under -10 C,i lost all my grafted ones three winters ago when we had a -15deg frost yet 30 of my own seed grown bushes had no damage at all.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485577 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Feijoa trees?
Right so where do you buy the feijoa's that are not grafted ...cos' we need the hardiest ,,definitely going to give them a go :)
As for horse poop ...we have pumpkins for Africa ...all harvested now...given heaps away and will have a hard job getting through the rest in a month of Sundays so will continue to send visitors home with a pumpkin or two until our harvest gets down to a more realistic amount ...oh and you guessed it ...grown in 100% Mo-poop ...Tery was going to put some in the compost to rev it up as well .......but Mo poops a heck of a lot for one horse and I do the pooper scoop run twice a day so we are literally up to our ears in it I we pile it[:0]

If anyone wants some from here ...easy pick up as all in big mountains of it[;)] BYOT bring your own trailer:D

Thanks for all the good info re: feijoa's too :)

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 1 month ago #485579 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Feijoa trees?
Terralee, I don't know if you come to South Auckland very often, but Farrell's Nursery at Ramamrama, had seed grown trees last winter. They are very easy to find, just take the Ramarama exit which is the first one you come to after coming down from the Bombay hill, turn right over the bridge so you cross the motorway, and they are about 30 metres past the bridge, on left. Usually open Saturdays and Sundays.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 1 month ago #485583 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Feijoa trees?
They are easy to grow yourself,what ive done is to take seed from as many different varieties as i could,when these start producing that seed should have a wide mixing of genetics,that way i'll be looking for individual plants that excel in my climate.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
10 years 1 month ago #485610 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Feijoa trees?
You can get feijoas from tree and shrub in the Manawatu. www.treeandshrub.co.nz/
4trees is on lifestyle block.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485611 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Feijoa trees?

spoook;489390 wrote: So, what have I done wrong? I have got two plants, I believe they are heritage types, bought for me some years ago. They are almost the same size as when planted. :(
Looks like my lack of feeding has not been good for it.

Feijoa trees are extremely hardy. I badly mistreated mine (forgot to plant it, it then got a bit dry, then I decided to water it by soaking it and forgot about it again). Once it got into the ground it was overtaken by weeds. Finely I got rid of the weeds and I got 1kg of fruit last year, and this year - even more.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485615 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Feijoa trees?
I can send you some seed sown ones can buy them from a nursery for you and post them, would be a couple of dollars each. Just pm me if you want them, they are good trees and he takes them from good fruit. I just got a whole lot for someone else and i would say they are roughly 40cm high.
Farrels are a good nursery and I find their stuff grows well compared with stuff from nurseries for around here. I do believe Stikki they are closed sundays tho

More
10 years 1 month ago #485622 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Feijoa trees?

Stikkibeek;489732 wrote: Terralee, I don't know if you come to South Auckland very often, but Farrell's Nursery at Ramamrama, had seed grown trees last winter. They are very easy to find, just take the Ramarama exit which is the first one you come to after coming down from the Bombay hill, turn right over the bridge so you cross the motorway, and they are about 30 metres past the bridge, on left. Usually open Saturdays and Sundays.

muri;489772 wrote: I can send you some seed sown ones can buy them from a nursery for you and post them, would be a couple of dollars each. Just pm me if you want them, they are good trees and he takes them from good fruit. I just got a whole lot for someone else and i would say they are roughly 40cm high.
Farrels are a good nursery and I find their stuff grows well compared with stuff from nurseries for around here. I do believe Stikki they are closed sundays tho

Thanks ladies ...stikki we bought our citrus trees from Farrell's Nursery last season ...we come past quite regularly en route to watch Jo and Kazz [^] ...we bought a lemon,an orange , a mandarin and a tangelo ...the mandarin and the lemon are going to give us fruit this season[:0] the orange is thinking about it[^] and the tangelo might be thinking about it too:rolleyes: ....will give them a ring and see when they have them in stock and make sure they are not grafted ones tho' :)

Thanks for the kind offer Muri ..haha I am giggling thinking of our postie trying to fit feijoa trees into our community mail box:p if Farrells can't help I shall give you a bell ...

Oh and I think I have a thought in my brain[:0]:eek: telling me that I need both female and a male trees to get fruit ...ermmm just how do I tell a female from a male[:I]:o

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 1 month ago #485627 by muri
No, no males and female but you do need a couple of plants.
Farrells buy their plants from the same growers I get them from, they just grow them on and charge you the extra

More
10 years 1 month ago #485630 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Feijoa trees?

terralee;489781 wrote: ...ermmm just how do I tell a female from a male[:I]:o

Cheers

Ahhh! If you don't know the answer to that by now,should I even tell you? Ah! .....it all begins with the birds and the bees![}:)]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 1 month ago #485723 by muri
Actually, there are three ways of producing feijoa, firstly by seed which is the slowest to grow and the slowest to fruit, secondly by cuttings which will produce plants quite quickly and which could fruit from their first year onwards as they are part of the parent tree and thirdly grafted trees.
Am not sure why anyone would graft feijoa, except because they want to use a particular root stock or else to double graft to get two different trees on the one plant.
If you are buying un-named varieties, they will be seed sown
If you are buying named varieties , they are either grafted or cutting grown,
Cutting grown plants should be the hardiest of them all in my mind and there is no reason not to buy named varieties which are cutting grown.
It pays to read up on the different varieties via google so you have an idea of what you are buying.
I have to say my cutting grown plants are proving to be much better fruiters in the early days, certainly outstripping the seed sown ones. It is however early days - 5-6 years old trees - so I do still need to wait for the seedling ones to come into their own
But so far they have been comparatively disappointing.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485768 by JustinNeMo
Replied by JustinNeMo on topic Feijoa trees?
The only thing I have read about cutting grown feijoa is that they have a weak root system. Hence named grafted varieties, grafted onto seedlings rootstock.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #485892 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Feijoa trees?
Hi Terralee,

If you are thinking of planting a "few" Feijoas you may like to know you can bulk order from the propagating nursery for better prices than from plant centres. The minimum order is usually 10 plants when ordered directly from the nursery. We will be returning to the nursery when it comes time to plant the berry patch!
www.edible.co.nz/fruits.php?fruitid=19 This gives some of the growing information and varieties available.
We ordered 55 feijoa plants and agreed to take some of last season's stock in our bulk order. The older plants were already fruiting while still in their pots.

We have 60 feijoa trees, after planting 57 this last weekend. Spacing at 3 metres will create 3 hedge-like rows. (Each row is about 60m long).

No need to worry about male/female plants; they just need pollen from another variety... and there are so many varieties available!

We chose the larger fruiting ones, but a few are small-medium sized fruit, with early, mid and late seasons covered. We have Apollo, Den's Choice, Gemini, Golden Goose, Kakapo, Karamea, Triumph, Unique, White Goose as well as Mammoth and Wiki Tu.

Wairere Nursery (Hamilton) also carries a good range of feijoa plants and I am hoping to get a couple Tulls Supreme from them. I was recommended the Wiki Tu by a friend as being the nicest.

Have fun with choosing which feijoas you will get!

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485949 by muri

JustinNeMo;489948 wrote: The only thing I have read about cutting grown feijoa is that they have a weak root system. Hence named grafted varieties, grafted onto seedlings rootstock.

Its not necessarily that cutting grown trees have a weak system, in some ways it can be seen as being stronger. They tend to develop one or two really strong roots rather than a denser network of small roots.
This means that if they have been sitting in pots for too long then the roots become too tangled and people often dont know how to tease these out at planting time. Hence the failure of a lot of cutting grown plants.
If you are doing your own cuttings, this shouldnt be an issue tho as you would be planting them out earlier than those grown in nurseries

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485982 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Feijoa trees?
Wow, 60 trees ..... Our 2 bushes provide enough fruit for the 2 of us for a whole year, most of it stewed and frozen. We even give some away but it's hard to find anyone that wants them.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds