Feijoa trees?

More
10 years 1 month ago #37394 by terralee
Feijoa trees? was created by terralee
Hi all green fingered members (something I am not :o ) ...we are thinking of planting some feijoa trees around the edge of our section as the fruit is quite nice and they could supply shade over the fence for the sheep ....so what sort of conditions do they grow in ....and are they fast growing ...fast growing is good[;)]

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485184 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Feijoa trees?

terralee;489286 wrote: Hi all green fingered members (something I am not :o ) ...we are thinking of planting some feijoa trees around the edge of our section as the fruit is quite nice and they could supply shade over the fence for the sheep ....so what sort of conditions do they grow in ....and are they fast growing ...fast growing is good[;)]

Cheers

They can be used like hedges, but will produce less fruit, but that won't matter is you have enough of them.
We planted 10 last winter which were seed grown. They were about 30cm high and over the dry summer they have doubled their height. (did have some irrigation during the worst of the big dry). They are growing in clay with a little poor topsoil. So, not the fastest you can have, but worth persevering with.
Sheep will eat them, so they need to be protected.
They are pretty hardy, tis said you can prune them with a chainsaw!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 1 month ago #485186 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Feijoa trees?

Stikkibeek;489287 wrote: They can be used like hedges, but will produce less fruit, but that won't matter is you have enough of them.
We planted 10 last winter which were seed grown. They were about 30cm high and over the dry summer they have doubled their height. (did have some irrigation during the worst of the big dry). They are growing in clay with a little poor topsoil. So, not the fastest you can have, but worth persevering with.
Sheep will eat them, so they need to be protected.
They are pretty hardy, tis said you can prune them with a chainsaw!

Thanks for that stikki :) ...they sound like my kinda tree (the hardy and chainsaw part[}:)]) ....they will be on the other side of the fence so sheep won't be able to get to them (much:rolleyes:) ...we have a clay pan too but good top soil and plenty of water to irrigate them with ...definitely sound worth giving them a try ...any fruit would be a bonus:p ...how long before they fruit ? Will look into buying some plants for winter planting [^]
Cheers

More
10 years 1 month ago #485192 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Feijoa trees?
OK TL, there are just a couple of things about feijoa.
Firstly they are frost tender when young so small young trees planted now could be damaged by frost if you are prone to it.
They are not overly keen on waterlogged soil so they may struggle a bit.
Feijoa are gross feeders and do need a lot of feeding and horse manure is actually a good diet for them.
If you buy seed sown varieties then you can wait anything from 3-4 years for fruit and you wont know exactly what you are getting in terms of fruit quality. I would say you get a good fruiting from about 5 years onwards, up to then its a bit sporadic.
With named varieties, you will get a faster fruiting as they are cutting rather than seed sown so you can expect fruit any time from the first year onwards. Different varieties will ensure a better pollination of fruit.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485216 by greenfingers
Replied by greenfingers on topic Feijoa trees?
I planted 19 grafted, named varieties when we moved here 3 years ago, all around 1m in height. They are now 1.6m or so and I've not really watered them through the last 2 droughts, although their fruit will be much better if you do! This year I started tipping the ducks water on them, that probably wasn't enough but it got them through. About 6 are carrying fruit now - Apollo, Kakapo, Kaiteri, Den's Choice, and Opal Star.

Cows love them too - we have a large one on our back lawn that the neighbours cows pruned for us when they 'visited' us [:(!] not long after we moved in. It used to hang over our fence into our paddock, and they took it back to the trunk on that side. It'd easily be back over the fence if we didn't trim it back every year.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
10 years 1 month ago #485274 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Feijoa trees?
So, what have I done wrong? I have got two plants, I believe they are heritage types, bought for me some years ago. They are almost the same size as when planted. :(
Looks like my lack of feeding has not been good for it.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 1 month ago #485299 by muri
A horticulturist told me that feijoa are the only plant that should really be put in the ground with fertiliser at planting time as they are such hungry plants. So Spook, out with the shovel and collect some horse or cow manure for you trees, this rain should wash it in

More
10 years 1 month ago #485322 by Stikkibeek
They also do well if you mulch around them during the summer, often just the lawn clippings will help.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485323 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Feijoa trees?
Mmmm?? a horse recently was riden down our road, left a pile behind. Might just have to go collect it.
Our resident heifer's piles would be rather hard to collect after all the rain we had. [;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 1 month ago #485337 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Feijoa trees?

spoook;489446 wrote: Mmmm?? a horse recently was riden down our road, left a pile behind. Might just have to go collect it.
Our resident heifer's piles would be rather hard to collect after all the rain we had. [;)]

Plenty of horse poo here if you want some Spoook ...i pick up twice a day and have some humungus piles ...you are welcome to bring a trailer :)

Cheers

More
10 years 1 month ago #485338 by Stikkibeek

terralee;489461 wrote: Plenty of horse poo here if you want some Spoook ...i pick up twice a day and have some humungus piles ...you are welcome to bring a trailer :)

Cheers

Plant your tomatoes in it next season. You will be astounded by the results!

More
10 years 1 month ago #485343 by greenfingers
Replied by greenfingers on topic Feijoa trees?
Sheep poo or chicken and duck poo is what I use here. I collect buckets of sheep poo from my in-laws and whenever I scoop out chicken poo from the hen house it gets spread around the fruit trees. The ducks are more accommodating, they sleep under the fruit trees and poop there for me :)

I don't use commercial granular fruit tree fertilisers as the chickens and ducks are housed in our orchard and I don't want them eating the fertiliser.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
10 years 1 month ago #485417 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Feijoa trees?
Spook - go gather your goat poo - I've had a bumper corgette season this year and the garden had heaps of goat poo at the bottom of it.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485443 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Feijoa trees?
Second the horse poo, plenty around the base.
Terralee throw all the old sprouted potatoes in with the piles, the spuds will grow and break up the poop and you get a good crop of spuds very cleaned skin. However I recommend letting the first years reseed as it can be a bit close to nature. By the second year the poop is just rich brown compost full of spuds.
Feijoa' s seem to grow well in rubbish soil if well. Ulcers and watered.
We have mixed variety and mammoth is a good one. You can get them quite cheap from warehouse

More
10 years 1 month ago #485455 by muri
I was out for dinner last night in the neighbourhood and we were discussing horse poo -as you normally do at dinner parties - and they put me on to the offerings on the trade me site. I asked the locals what road they were on, found one in my street and have been up filled a trailer with horse poo and am putting it around the trees.
Have a look spook, you might find some in your area
I'll be back for another trailer load next week but then I am going to start composting it, the best use for it, for the following years

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds