What fruits best in the Waikato?

More
10 years 2 months ago #37038 by Country Girl
Hi I am just checking who grows what in the Waikato - I am in Cambridge and have seen lovely mandarins, lemons, blueberries and also apples, but does anyone have stonefruit that is happily growing or..........too humid? I'm looking at a property so just checking what is successful for an orchard paddock :) oh and pears??

Cheers

A pessimist is never disappointed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481270 by kaybe
Hi Country Girl, I used to live in Mystery Creek and I can vouch that all kinds of plums grow very happily there! Try Luisa, they are delicious and were actually discovered in the Waikato as a random seedling. I'm currently growing a Mavis nectarine in Hamilton which was a similar local discovery (a purple-skinned, purple foliaged, freestone variety). I also grew delicious peaches (Golden Queen I think) and even had a lovely apricot tree for a couple of years, which unfortunately succumbed to silver leaf a couple of years after we bought the LSB. Apricots do seem to be tricky to grow because of the humidity, but it can be done. I also grew small pears, but there is an orchard near Ohaupo which grows delicious large pears, often sold at the farmers' market. In fact Ohaupo used to be a big orchard area for the early settlers, so I think most things which take your fancy can be grown!

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481281 by Country Girl
Thanks Kaybe great to know will look into some of those varieties :)

A pessimist is never disappointed

More
10 years 2 months ago #481324 by max2
I'm northern Waikato and I have a bit of everything, but the easiest stone fruit trees we have would have to be the plums.

We were hit hard with leaf curl on nectarines and peaches even on the ones that are meant to be resistant. Over the last season I ensured I sprayed with copper as I was supposed to, but we were still hit, just not as much. Will be spraying again at leaf drop and again at leaf bud.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481588 by greenfingers
Like Max2, we have a bit of everything. It can be very hit and miss for production - some years are better than others. Many of my trees are too small to fruit yet, so I'll only comment on the ones I know to be working out!
Plums grow really well. We have Luisa and Burbank fruiting happily here. Last year my Coe's Golden Drop also fruited well, but not this year :(
I have a Pear that is currently dripping with fruit but no idea what it is [:I]
My in-laws have a Golden Queen peach and my Mother has a Black Boy peach that both do very well, they both live 5 min away from me, so I planted these two this season so I can have my own :D :D :D
I have a freestone peach that was grown from seed, so no idea what it is/parentage. It does remarkably well and doesn't succumb too badly to leaf curl. Has abundant small sweet fruit and is perfect for eating off the tree.
Apples - Braeburn, Granny Smith and Baujade have all done well here.
Blueberries, Grapes, Nashi pears, persimmons and most citrus grow well here too. As for Figs - I have a White Adriatic that does quite well, but my Brunoro Black has it's main crop too late to ripen properly here :(

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds