removing old fruit trees

More
10 years 2 months ago #36912 by kai
removing old fruit trees was created by kai
we have a couple of fruit trees which I think are beyond saving. They are old and we pruned them the first autumn they were here. They have not bounced back, the apricot had zero fruit this year and the few leaves are looking pretty sorry for themselves (not leaf curl, but something else).

So it is time to get them out and plant something different in their place. Ideally I would like to get the stump out of the ground so it makes mowing easier. I was thinking cut the trunk down to say 1metre and then try pulling it out with the 4WD 400cc quad, obviously there would need to be a bit of sawing of the roots at the same time.

Has anyone else pulled out a fruit tree. How big a root system do they have? Any hints at better ways to do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480192 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic removing old fruit trees
OH has used his 2wd ute to pull fruit tree stumps before. A couple of things to bear in mind. Identify as many main roots as you can and cut well below surface. Sometimes there will be a tap root and they are often hard to get at. If you are using a chain saw, be aware that the blade will go dull very quickly if you bite into the earth. Drill and fill on the bark line any heavy roots you can't extract, with a little neat round up. Don't replant in exactly the same spot.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 2 months ago #480204 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic removing old fruit trees
start digging. Depending on size, probably at least 1/3rd what the canopy would be, around.
Fill with diesel and oily rags.
Find a witch and tie to the trunk/stake.

Burn it!

cheers
rob

More
10 years 2 months ago #480205 by kai
Replied by kai on topic removing old fruit trees
you have removed how many trees in your short lifetime?

More
10 years 2 months ago #480209 by zellakanzx

kai;483807 wrote: you have removed how many trees in your short lifetime?

30 in november that required an excavator.
Hundreds of hours on a chainsaw.
burned at least a half dozen to the ground.
Great contribution to the thread! Thanks!

(and i burn a witch every now and then too :))

cheers
rob

More
10 years 2 months ago #480211 by kai

zellakanzx;483811 wrote: .
Great contribution to the thread! Thanks!

I thought it more constructive than someone advocating ethnic/religious cleansing by murder.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480231 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic removing old fruit trees
I used to use a chainsaw to cut tree roots, but the chain would get too blunt too fast, even with thoroughly brushing the dirt off. Now my stump removal tools are an axe, a spade (preferably the trenching shovel) and a crowbar.
My apricots seldom fruit because we get a frost just after flowering, and similarly with peaches.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480239 by zellakanzx

kai;483814 wrote: I thought it more constructive than someone advocating ethnic/religious cleansing by murder.

really?

Just. Wow.

We clearly dont share a humor.
One witch is hardly ethnic cleansing.

Nor ethnic anything, being that 'witch' isnt an ethnicity, but you may be more qualified to speak on that... =)

cheers
rob

More
10 years 2 months ago #480262 by igor
Replied by igor on topic removing old fruit trees
I think we do have at least one member who identifies as a witch.
Have you considered cutting down the trees and then blowing the stumps with explosives? I think you will be lucky to pull a stump with your quad. What else do you have? Can you borrow a tractor? I saw a contractor pull out a peach tree with a small truck years ago and it wasn't easy.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480278 by kai

igor;483866 wrote: Have you considered cutting down the trees and then blowing the stumps with explosives?

yikes! Don't you have to have an explosives license? I have some salt petre in the house (salami making), but I have no idea how to use it and I think it probably is a little too close to the neighbours to risk it.

I think you will be lucky to pull a stump with your quad. What else do you have? Can you borrow a tractor? I saw a contractor pull out a peach tree with a small truck years ago and it wasn't easy.

I doubt we could get a tractor to it due to fence and other mature trees in the way. I don't think the quad could do it from scratch, but if some of the roots had been cut, or get cut as it pulls it could help. It has pulled a car off the beach that got stuck in sand, so it is more powerful than the average quad (100km going two up no problem - boy that was fun)

More
10 years 2 months ago #480279 by muri
Replied by muri on topic removing old fruit trees
When I have taken out a tree,I cut the stump quite high, about 1/2m so the mower doesnt hit it then just leave it to rot. You can turn the stumps into a feature, a pot on top or similar or plant something into the stump if you can.
Saves heaps of trouble

More
10 years 2 months ago #480288 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic removing old fruit trees

muri;483883 wrote: When I have taken out a tree,I cut the stump quite high, about 1/2m so the mower doesnt hit it then just leave it to rot. You can turn the stumps into a feature, a pot on top or similar or plant something into the stump if you can.
Saves heaps of trouble

Yes thats what ive done to three 10 year old plums that refused to grow fruit,drilled some holes,fulled with roundup and left to it

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
10 years 2 months ago #480331 by JustinNeMo
Replied by JustinNeMo on topic removing old fruit trees
How tall is the tree and diameter of the trunk? I have accidentally run a tree down with a small tractor before while spraying the orchard... Or a bale of silage can also knock a few trees off too ;) Any chance of wiggling the tree out? Its easier to uproot it whole, compare to a stump, in terms of leverage.

But I would agree with Richard and muri, I would give anything to have a nice stump for a coffee table or meditating spot among the trees and nature.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds