Grosso lavender wanted

More
11 years 3 months ago #33919 by sueandpat
I am looking for about 2 dozen Grosso lavender flower stems, so I can collect the seed. I am wanting to plant a large area next year, and think this may be the cheaper option. I am prepared to pay for them and postage, thanks in advance :) :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #448934 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Grosso lavender wanted
I assume you want the grosso for its qualities such as good oil content etc.
If this is the case, then you would be far better to buy the plants because you cannot guarentee that lavender will come true to seed - thats why there are so many different varieties because they do cross polinate.
So if you want something specific in the way of that particular variety, dont grow it from seed

More
11 years 3 months ago #448943 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Grosso lavender wanted
As Muri said, proprogation from cuttings off a good plant would be more advisable than seed if you want multiple plants with proven characteristics.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 3 months ago #448985 by sueandpat
Replied by sueandpat on topic Grosso lavender wanted
Hi, Thanks for that, I have now sourced some plants for $3 each from a grower!! I can then propagate my own from there. I have a 50 m border to do. Sue

More
11 years 3 months ago #449018 by muri
now is a good time of the year to propogate if they have enough foliage to get cutting material from them. Otherwise I would wait until next late spring which would also be good.
Dont cut them back at the end of winter, better to cut the english lavenders, as grosso is, in the spring and not autumn

More
11 years 3 months ago #449053 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Grosso lavender wanted
The advice for not pruning in autumn is only for those who get severe frosts in winter; enough for the bush to die off. So unlikely to be applicable for anyone in NZ. In England lavender is typically pruned as soon as the last flower has gone.

More
11 years 3 months ago #449074 by muri
Having been a lavender grower for 10 years, I am giving that advice based very much on those years of experience of growing lavender.
If you prune the english type lavenders in autumn, they will do no more growing until spring, [unlike the stoechas or the french types which grow foliage all year]. That means that you will be looking at plants that look quite ugly over the winter, instead of leaving their foliage on. I have also found the english type lavenders come away best in the spring when they havent been pruned in autumn, so its a win win situation.
In fact the best time to prune is in summer when they have finished flowering or you harvest the flowers, then the plants grow more foliage and will look good all year.
If you prune in the autumn, you get plants that dont look at their best over the winter

More
11 years 3 months ago #449075 by sueandpat
Replied by sueandpat on topic Grosso lavender wanted
Thanks for that Muri, always good to get tried and true advice. We get minus 3 frosts here and snow, so will follow your advice. Thanks Sue

More
11 years 3 months ago #449103 by kai
sueandpat, minus 3 is not really a severe frost as far as lavender is concerned it would have to be sever degrees colder to cause it to die off. But good that you agree that just after flowering is the best time to prune. Which would make it early autumn.

More
11 years 3 months ago #449115 by muri
Kai, I am not at all interested in boasting, I am merely explaining that I have had a lot of experience with taking cuttings from these plants.
I try to give other people some help where i can and where I have had experience, as do many others on this board.
Having experience doesnt need to have negative
connotations thanks

More
11 years 3 months ago #449207 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Grosso lavender wanted
Muri, thanks very much for that advice. In the long-term I'm hoping to mass plant lavender in the gardens that I'm trying to put together at the moment. I'm new to propagation, so your replies were brilliant and really appreciated.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
11 years 3 months ago #449292 by kai
Mich, Muri's googling fingers are usually pretty good, however in this case the advice given is really only for climates much, much colder than NZ. If you google the question re pruning/cuttings of this sort of lavender and then check on the location of the answers you will see for yourself.

More
11 years 3 months ago #449344 by minnow
Replied by minnow on topic Grosso lavender wanted
I would like to add that growing conditions etc vary greatly in NZ and even a microclimate can make a HUGE difference to how they grow (and how you grow them) as I have found in moving.

Little fish, big pond [^]

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds