This years garlic - WOW!

More
11 years 5 months ago #447995 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic This years garlic - WOW!
i pulled mine today :D

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #448113 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic This years garlic - WOW!
I googled how to plait them my first year and after hanging them to dry I plaited them and hung them in my Kitchen. Looked neat. Last year we moved and I went back for my harvest and not as good obviously and after drying stored them in a wooden bowl and not so good. This year will hang and plait again. The other week on TV they were storing onions in pantyhose. dropped one in, tied a knot, dropped another in and so on. I guess that could also work for garlic bulbs. Just cut below the knot each time you want one.

More
10 years 5 months ago #477700 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic This years garlic - WOW!
Another question, I noticed my elephant garlic had developed seed/flower heads, and now my ''normal'' garlic is doing the same. I presume its because we have had a few weeks of dry conditions?

Anyhow should I pull my garlic up now? Should I cut off the seed heads and leave the garlic in?

the leaves are not dying, but they are not growing new ones either... most were planted in June.

More
10 years 5 months ago #477713 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic This years garlic - WOW!
Cut off the head on the elephant garlic for sure. I don't know when to harvest my elephant garlic, its my 1st time growing it. Don't no about proper garlic, havn't grown that yet.

File Attachment:

Its on the right. Seed heads having been removed.

Looking GREAT RichardW

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 5 months ago #477715 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic This years garlic - WOW!

Deanna;481059 wrote: Cut off the head on the elephant garlic for sure. I don't know when to harvest my elephant garlic, its my 1st time growing it. Don't no about proper garlic, havn't grown that yet.

Its on the right. Seed heads having been removed.

Looking GREAT RichardW

Awesome patch Deanna!!! Love your soil too.

I took the plunge and pulled my garlic up earlier. Fairly happy with the elephant garlic, but I should have waiting longer for the ''standard'' variety to grow more, esp. after the recent drop of rain.

More
10 years 5 months ago #477718 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic This years garlic - WOW!

swaggie;481061 wrote: Awesome patch Deanna!!! Love your soil too.

I took the plunge and pulled my garlic up earlier. Fairly happy with the elephant garlic, but I should have waiting longer for the ''standard'' variety to grow more, esp. after the recent drop of rain.

Thanks swaggie, we've only been here a year. A very kind person on the TMMB sent me the elephant garlic, but I have no idea how to tell when to harvest, I hope some one can help.

File Attachment:

This is the left hand side. I have pulled out the gone to seed Silverbeet in the other photo and put in some more carrots. :D way in the background is my 1st go at kumeras and closer on the brown mound 4 zucchini plants.

File Attachment:

This went from this to

File Attachment:

To this

File Attachment:

We put in the tunnel house, and it has suffered such severe winds that knocked down hundreds and hundreds of trees. I was really surprised.

File Attachment:

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds