Tomatoes 2012-13

More
11 years 2 months ago #455102 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Tomatoes 2012-13

Stikkibeek;456164 wrote: That's interesting Richard. I would never have thought of taking cuttings that way. I have always just used the lateral as plucked. I can see you can maximise the number your way.

Laterals do work but not as reliably as taking thick older stems which are pretty much a 100% strike rate

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #455253 by ArohaW
Replied by ArohaW on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
I just found a website for a lady who sells heirloom seeds in the waikato. I'm going to order some tomato seeds from her and start that way I think! She has some nice varieties as well

More
11 years 2 months ago #455254 by heirloomgardener
Replied by heirloomgardener on topic Tomatoes 2012-13

ArohaW;456351 wrote: I just found a website for a lady who sells heirloom seeds in the waikato. I'm going to order some tomato seeds from her and start that way I think! She has some nice varieties as well

Can you post a link to her website as I'm always on the lookout for new Heirloom tomato seeds to add to my collection.

More
11 years 2 months ago #455270 by ArohaW
Replied by ArohaW on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
Here is a link to her website where you can order seeds. I have ordered Borage off her before but I am definitely going to make use of some of her other seeds as well.

www.howtogarden.co.nz/catalog/

More
11 years 2 months ago #455663 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
Thanks for the photos of the cuttings Richard. Will try that next season.

This year I tried rooting laterals in water, which worked quite quickly, but the plants really havent done much since planting out.
The other thing I tried was to take a cutting from a thick branch that was showing little rooting protrusions close to the trunk. The whole branch "cutting" was stuck straight into the soil and it never looked back. It is now a bush full of flowers and young fruit.
Im not sure if there is enough time left in the season for them to ripen, but it was just an experiment as I did not know that tomatoes were so easy to do as cuttings.

My 6 Roma tomato bushes formed a metre high, thick hedge loaded with tomatoes! It is my first time growing them, so did not know what to expect and left them to their own devices.

Watering them with this prolonged dry through summer and into autumn became a bit of a problem with not knowing if they were getting enough water, though they seemed quite green and happy, then unintentially giving them too much when I gave them a good soaking...
The leaves on 4 of the plants turned yellow and the plants fell over and now some of the stalks are looking brownish... on their way out I guess, as I havent previously taken notice of a tomato plant's life cycle or how the seasons affect their growth.

As to the tomato crop... it has been a great crop of tomatoes and am still picking them as they ripen.

I resorted to slicing and dehydrating them to preserve them. I now have 3x 1.5L preserving jars full of dehydrated tomatoes. The flavour is fantastic! Im enjoying snacking of the dehydrated slices.
A fair amount of tomatoes have also been enjoyed fresh, as well as in freshly made pasta sauces etc.
I'd be happy to grow Roma tomatoes again next season, though I may add the big Beefsteak tomatoes as well, or try growing a giant tomato for the fun of it.

• muhammadfarms1
11 years 2 months ago #456104 by muhammadfarms1
Replied by muhammadfarms1 on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
i also want to grow tomatoes some one help me out and sugest any advice.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459825 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
Ive just started two early tomato plants for next growing season,i'm going to grow them inside the house as pot plants in one of the windows,then mid Aug they will go into the tunnelhouse which by then will be warm enough,so if all goes well there will be tomatoes by late Sep.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds