Tomatoes 2012-13

More
11 years 6 months ago #443629 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
Thats cheap alright,good luck

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443646 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
lol

I guess I'm just cheap...

When I find a good tomato at a farmers market or even the (*Gasp) Supermarket, I squish a cuple of seeds out onto a little window planter, and plonk a wee plastic cover over it... Anyway I ran across some little dark 'heritage' tomatoes at the supermarket the other day, and it was so tasty that I had to squish out the seeds... So now I have about 50 wee seedlings merrily popping up out of the soil and am thinking that I need to get another garden area tilled just to house these tasty wee toms... But I'll still have seedlings to spare...

I am also well known for planting the laterals I pinch off existing tomato plants and planting those - and have about an 80% strike rate which creates new tomato plants... which keeps me in tomatoes through the winter...

More
11 years 6 months ago #443729 by RichardW

I am also well known for planting the laterals I pinch off existing tomato plants and planting those -

Thats what i do a lot of too,all ready given away 50 cutting plants up till now,and when you use the older stems of a tomato plant the strike rate is more like 100%,ive got one lateral grown plant ATM that's 18 months from seed.

Some other tomato type that i'm growing close to ready is a new one for called Grub's Mystery Green (a yellow/green when ripe)

Napal on the right and Brandy Fred F5 on the left

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

More
11 years 6 months ago #443792 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
I have young tomatoes on my store bought plants. Alas, my heritage tomatoes didn't go in until late as we have been so preoccupied with renovations and so I hope I can still get some fruit off these young plants (They are currently 5cm high) as they are really important types. Golden Queen, a beefsteak like gold tomato and Singapore surprise, another beefsteak like red, which is totally peel-able without the need to dip in hot water. Both indeterminate. I wont have the new green house for some months yet, and will have to depend on outdoor growth this year. I might put some in the old greenhouse for the new owner, and ask her to keep me seed.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 6 months ago #443815 by KiplingAngel
Ooh Stikkibeak those two beefsteaks sound wonderful!!!

Any chance I could persuade you to part with a few seeds later in the year?

Happy to pay postage, of if you're close, then meet for coffee

More
11 years 6 months ago #443831 by Stikkibeek

KiplingAngel;443632 wrote: Ooh Stikkibeak those two beefsteaks sound wonderful!!!

Any chance I could persuade you to part with a few seeds later in the year?

Happy to pay postage, of if you're close, then meet for coffee

Well I might be able to pass you a couple of plants from my seedling lot. I have planted more than I can accommodate this season. It could be a good way to ensure their survival. They won't be ready to prick out for another few weeks yet though.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444264 by RichardW
My second tomato to ripen is Azoychka a Russian heirloom,Taste- i give a 7/10:)

More
11 years 6 months ago #444335 by rlmrdl
Replied by rlmrdl on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
My wife Linda had a couple of packets of well-expired seeds so she dumped the lot into a seed tray. 110% germination by the look of it. We are up to HERE in seedlings. But with the cold weather and the late arrival of the greenhouse they are still pretty small, as are the basil seedlings that will go out with them.

Last year was a great lesson for us. I managed to stick to my commitment of taking off EVERY lateral EVERY day, breaking off EVERY leaf that even looked like it might think about touching the ground and EVERY leaf that looked anything but really healthy.

We had the ugliest plants we have ever grown but we were on course for 100KG off about 30 plants; then we sold the suburban lot and bought 10 acres in Bombay. Still managed to get about 30kg off them before we moved.

BUT, what really made the difference I think was the really wet early summer. I was worried they might drown but they came through really well, I now think we have probably under watered them in the past, we should probably have given them twice what we usually do.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444388 by RichardW
Do you know the name of it

More
11 years 6 months ago #444459 by KiplingAngel

rlmrdl;444207 wrote: My wife Linda had a couple of packets of well-expired seeds so she dumped the lot into a seed tray. 110% germination by the look of it. We are up to HERE in seedlings. But with the cold weather and the late arrival of the greenhouse they are still pretty small, as are the basil seedlings that will go out with them.

Last year was a great lesson for us. I managed to stick to my commitment of taking off EVERY lateral EVERY day, breaking off EVERY leaf that even looked like it might think about touching the ground and EVERY leaf that looked anything but really healthy.

We had the ugliest plants we have ever grown but we were on course for 100KG off about 30 plants; then we sold the suburban lot and bought 10 acres in Bombay. Still managed to get about 30kg off them before we moved.

BUT, what really made the difference I think was the really wet early summer. I was worried they might drown but they came through really well, I now think we have probably under watered them in the past, we should probably have given them twice what we usually do.

COOL!! Another LSB in Bombay! We're just in the paparimu Valley - about 12k east of Bombay. Last year we must have got about the same ratio of tomatoes off our plants, but alas we're out of home made tomato sauce, chutney and passata - but will plant out many more plants this year to ensure that we have enough to get us through - doesn't help that far flung family and friends raid my scullery as often as possible...

More
11 years 6 months ago #444981 by RichardW
Next to ripen is Wherokowhai from a F6 cutting which came off a plant sown 16 months ago.
It comes from the Tomatoville dwarf breeding program as is one that i was given the pleasure of naming

More
11 years 5 months ago #445610 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
My poor tomato plants arent doing so well.
The first 3 were flowering well and starting to set fruit after theiy had been moved from their larger planter bags to the new garden bed. The second three seedlings had not long been transplanted into the garden bed and were settling in nicely and starting to flower...

Then we had the huge hail storm earlier in November which shredded the entire garden and left the tomatoes looking like ragged sticks with most their leaves and flowers on the ground around them.
They are beginning to reflower and have put out new leaves, so its regrouping time and time for me to put in the stakes they hadnt needed earlier... so no tomatoes... yet!!

More
11 years 5 months ago #445660 by RichardW
Thats a shame Belle Bosse,at least they are coming away again for you,thankfully large hail is some thing this area never gets for some reason

The third tomato to ripen is another new one for me to try growing,its called Grubs Mystery Green and boy its a lovely tasting tomato too

More
11 years 5 months ago #445696 by Stikkibeek
One I bought has got about 12 nice tomatoes on a bunch like a grape vine, but something (probably sluggy) has eaten holes in the three biggest!
I transplanted some of the Singapore surprise and the golden Queen to the garden, and probably that same slug helped itself to the growing tip on the Golden queen, so I have put another in its place. They are not liking growing outdoors, being nurtured in a green house for the last 40 years, I don't think they are so cold tolerant any more.
Looks as if they need a good feed of something.

More
11 years 5 months ago #445702 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
I recently bought some ''plum something'' tomatoes from Amanda of mandiville gardens Onewhero who sells at some farmers markets. I bought these from Amanda via a school fete and rural womens fundraiser and they are so strong and healthy looking plants, even out competing the commercial variety bought earlier at a popular hardware store.

The plum ''something'' sounded a lot like the toms I mentioned earlier that my MIL used to buy so fingers crossed they will be it.

I will let you know how they go, but I am back down there hopefully tomorrow to buy up on some more.... :D

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds