Tomatoes 2012-13

More
11 years 7 months ago #442139 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
Its unheated,i did think when i was building it that a small fire box at one end would have been a good idea,but those plans ended up been dropped in my hast to just get started in growing stuff.At the moment i'm adding more stone work to each end the tunnelhouse and later on will add a second layer of plastic,this should help keep it warmer in winter,i'll take some photos which will help explain better what i'm talking about.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #442140 by RichardW

swaggie;441738 wrote:

Any thoughts on what it would be? It wasn't a C****down packaged ''new brand'' but one that she just bought singularly off the shelf.... taste was sensational.

Problem is there must be 1000's of varieties of red tomatoes now days,

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

More
11 years 7 months ago #442141 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
My Mother saw some incredible tomatoes while in Manitoba earlier in the year - one tomato fed four people for lunch - they are so big that you can't stake them - the fruit are just too big and heavy - so they are 'ramblers'... Had anyone heard of that variety over here? Apparently very tasty too!

lol - heard of one person who stuffed themselves silly on the way back from the States a few years ago... and suddenly she had a lot of different varieties in her garden...

More
11 years 7 months ago #442149 by RichardW
In the states its uncommon to 'stake' tomatoes,instead they use cages which they don't even remove the laterals which seems to be a kiwi way of growing.That big tomato would have been grown in one them
tomatocage.com/index.html
Had thought about bring some of these in and selling them on TradeMe,the cages in the link are a good ones because they fold up.

More
11 years 7 months ago #442157 by RichardW
Further to my post yesterday about improving the tunnelhouses heat retention,the frist photo is the south end,the window was a waste of time putting in as i never need to open it,even on the hottest summer days the door open at the other end is enough,so i'm going to full in with stone plus build out a mound of stones 2-3 m wider.

The front end i'm building out also,i'll add some flat sections on both sides that can be used in spring when frost tender plants need to be hardened off before been planted into the garden,then its easy just to put them back inside if a frost is due,also i'm going to terrace up the walls and grow herbs,so having the walls thicker should keep them warmer in winter so that tomatoes can stay alive.

The finale job is then to add a second layer of plastic and insulate the door

More
11 years 7 months ago #442160 by RichardW
Further to my post yesterday about improving the tunnelhouses heat retention,the first photo is looking at the south end,the window was a waste of time putting in as ive never needed to open it as,even on the hottest summer days the door open at the other end is enough,so i'm going to full it in with stone plus build out the mound of stones 2 m wider.

The front end is been built out also,i'll add some flat sections on both sides that (1) it can be used in spring when frost tender plants need to be hardened off before been planted into the garden,then its easy just to put them back inside if a frost is due and (2)a nice spot to sit down when i want to take a breather,also i'm going to terrace up these two walls and grow herbs,so having the walls thicker should keep them warmer in winter so that tomatoes can stay alive.

More
11 years 7 months ago #442208 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
wow that looks so cool (or perhaps hot :P )

More
11 years 7 months ago #442215 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
I'm impressed, Richard. What a wonderful tunnel house. Thanks for sharing.

More
11 years 7 months ago #442217 by RichardW
Thanks guys,i get as much joy building it as i do growing in it,still a lot more work to do on it yet

More
11 years 7 months ago #442254 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
I have 3 Roma tomatoes growing in black bags and doing well. They are not overly tall and have been in flower since the end of September. No tomatoes yet... waiting.

After seeing the price of tomatoes in the supermarket at $8 per/kg, I decided to wait and enjoy a lot more tomatoes than 1kg and bought the 3 seedlings at Mega Mitre 10 for $9. They were in a little "umberella greenhouse" until they began flowering, but bees cant get into that greenhouse, so they are outside now.

Im told that I will need to buy more plants at staggered intervals to keep the tomato supply going over summer, so more will follow... then I might try starting from seed when it warms up a bit...
It is more a matter of becoming familiar with growing things I'm not used to, so 3 is a good start...

I'm hoping to make dried tomatoes when they come into production... I know someone else who is hoping to enjoy fresh tomatoes!

More
11 years 7 months ago #442256 by RichardW
You dont necessary need to have bees to pollinate tomato flowers,the flowers only need movement to which helps drop there pollen down the stamina,remembering that tomatoes mainly self pollinate but also can cross from flowers within its own plant or other neighbouring plants,but more often its wind movement is how most outdoor tomatoes get pollinated,but for indoor plants i have mine tied up to over head netting so all i do is tap the netting a few times and that stakes the plants enough.Large commercial green houses release bumble bees to do there pollination

More
11 years 7 months ago #442325 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
Wow - fantastic structure! Looks amazing and bet the veggies are just wonderful too!

Our toms (also in a tunnel house but without the warmth in structural design) are just waiting there for the warmer weather before they take off, I think (I hope!). :D

Lettuces however are coming along really well - and so have had to buy supermarket toms to go with for the BLTs.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443400 by RichardW
Always wondered why supermarket tomatoes were so tasteless.
www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137371975/how-ind...yed-the-tasty-tomato

More
11 years 6 months ago #443619 by RayH
Replied by RayH on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
Wow tomatoes growing already, i have about 40 plants at the moment just a random mix of cherry and standard varieties, i did however buy 300 plants at the weekend well cos they were very cheap 4.50 for 100 cell grown plants ...if anyone is up my way send a message and i can give you some.... im still trying to fill all my tyres for them to go into ...just been so busy ...i hope to make heaps of t sauce and chutneys this year yay!

More
11 years 6 months ago #443620 by homebirther1
Replied by homebirther1 on topic Tomatoes 2012-13

RayH;443413 wrote: Wow tomatoes growing already, i have about 40 plants at the moment just a random mix of cherry and standard varieties, i did however buy 300 plants at the weekend well cos they were very cheap 4.50 for 100 cell grown plants ...if anyone is up my way send a message and i can give you some.... im still trying to fill all my tyres for them to go into ...just been so busy ...i hope to make heaps of t sauce and chutneys this year yay!

Where did you find these so cheap!?!?! And just out of interest what varieties are they? How awesome for you, hope they produce well :)

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds