Tomatoes 2012-13

More
11 years 7 months ago #33246 by RichardW
Tomatoes 2012-13 was created by RichardW
With having the first of the new seasons tomatoes just changing colour ATM which is two weeks earlier than last year i thought we need a thread where we can all chat and add photos of our seasons bounty,there's such a great range of shapes and colours now days.
Ive been involved in a dwarf breeding program for about 5 years,this seasons plants are mainly F4-6 so are near to being stabilized but may still show up some other colour combinations.

My first tomato out of the 20 different types i'm growing this season is called Napal

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #441956 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
Gosh, you're well ahead of me! My tomatoes are just babies, and we're keeping a close eye on their progress

I was reading about these new tomato 'rasins' that are being sold through Egmont seeds - where you pay $5.50 for TWO seeds - and they're bloody terminator seeds, so you can't seed save and regrow! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

THink I'll stick to my "Bloody Butcher", "Black from Tula" and "Oxheart" varieties plus a few cherry types...

More
11 years 7 months ago #441959 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Tomatoes 2012-13

RichardW;441555 wrote:
I've been involved in a dwarf breeding program for about 5 years

Gosh is that politically correct? [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 7 months ago #441973 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
:D :D :D !

thanks, Stikki, that just distracted me from my funk because my tomatoes are just babies, too!!

*rushes home to re-pot tomato plants and put some fertiliser on....*

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 7 months ago #441987 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Tomatoes 2012-13

Stikkibeek;441566 wrote: Gosh is that politically correct? [}:)][}:)][}:)]

I'm sure there is a law against that sort of behaviour.... :D

More
11 years 7 months ago #441994 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Tomatoes 2012-13

KiplingAngel;441563 wrote: Gosh, you're well ahead of me! My tomatoes are just babies, and we're keeping a close eye on their progress

I was reading about these new tomato 'rasins' that are being sold through Egmont seeds - where you pay $5.50 for TWO seeds - and they're bloody terminator seeds, so you can't seed save and regrow! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

THink I'll stick to my "Bloody Butcher", "Black from Tula" and "Oxheart" varieties plus a few cherry types...

[:0] five bucks fifty!!thats ridiculous,but then there are idiots out there who will pay that sort of money.
Bloody butcher is a nice tomato,grew it years ago.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

More
11 years 7 months ago #441995 by RichardW

Stikkibeek;441566 wrote: Gosh is that politically correct? [}:)][}:)][}:)]

:D:D i'm sure it is

More
11 years 7 months ago #441996 by RichardW
A gardening friend of mine said the other day that he's going to beat me next season to who's got the first ripe tomato for the season,i wont let him beat me hey,this season i started off the seedlings in May and had them inside the house in a north facing window then planted out in the tunnelhouse in mid Aug.For next season i'll take cuttings off 'Napal' in May instead,cutting plants produce earlier than seed raised plants.

More
11 years 7 months ago #442000 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Tomatoes 2012-13

RichardW;441608 wrote: A gardening friend of mine said the other day that he's going to beat me next season to who's got the first ripe tomato for the season,i wont let him beat me hey,this season i started off the seedlings in May and had them inside the house in a north facing window then planted out in the tunnelhouse in mid Aug.For next season i'll take cuttings off 'Napal' in May instead,cutting plants produce earlier than seed raised plants.

So will your friend be saying........"Is that a New World tomato at $12.50 a kilo!"

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 7 months ago #442010 by RichardW
By the time he get his first ripe fruit the prices will be back down to $6 per kg again

More
11 years 7 months ago #442022 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
I'm trying 7 new varieties this year. Most of them are Russian heirlooms,but I am alo trying Motelle which is supposed to be resistant to Psyllid.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 7 months ago #442024 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
envious, mine are still all less than 20cm tall, a variety of varieties :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #442113 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
mine have just hit 5cm tall mark, and I thought I was doing so well :)

I sowed quite a few seeds to allow me some to kill as my gardening skills are minimal :P . Currently I have 8 cheery tomato and 11 beef steak.

I was going to try growing one of each hanging as they are supposed to ripen sooner

More
11 years 7 months ago #442117 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
I didn't have much luck last season with tomatoes, the previous one was ok.

My MIL (based on the Akld North Shore) used to buy a smallish roundish tomato (slightly bigger than a golf ball but not quite tennis ball size) when we visited NZ and it was a tasty sucker. Twice a year or so we used to be able to buy the same in NSW when Aussie tomatoes (the ones in the ground, not hothouse) were not ready.

Any thoughts on what it would be? It wasn't a C****down packaged ''new brand'' but one that she just bought singularly off the shelf.... taste was sensational.

More
11 years 7 months ago #442134 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Tomatoes 2012-13
Richard, what fuel do you use to keep your tunnelhouse warm?

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds