Asparagus crown - are these too dry to grow

More
12 years 3 months ago #30146 by railview
After years of searching, I found and bought a few bags of asparagus crowns from the W*hse. They look pretty dried up but I was desperate and hoping that some will at least survive.

Question is : Do you think I should plant these out immediately or wait until June as the packaging suggest? If that was the case, should I leave it in the plastic bag it came in?

Attached files
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407317 by Stikkibeek
How old is the crown? If it was last years crown destined to be planted last June, then you may have to plant now. If it was a fresh crown destined for next June, then I'd wait for next June, but it sounds as if it's old stock and should go in the ground for the best chance of survival

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 3 months ago #407318 by Organix
The W**hse, that's scary [:0] What's the country of origin? [:0][:0][:0]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 3 months ago #407343 by railview

Stikkibeek;403263 wrote: How old is the crown? If it was last years crown destined to be planted last June, then you may have to plant now. If it was a fresh crown destined for next June, then I'd wait for next June, but it sounds as if it's old stock and should go in the ground for the best chance of survival

It would be last years crown. I bought them in December. Packaging didn't say how old they are.

My trench is not ready yet :o so I guess the best bet would be to plant them in some containers for now while I get organised.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407344 by railview

Organix;403264 wrote: The W**hse, that's scary [:0] What's the country of origin? [:0][:0][:0]

Brand is Carnival. Mary Washington asparagus. Country of origin not indicated. So hopefully it is a NZ product ! :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #407382 by 4trees
Hi, give the roots a squeeze and feel if they feel hollow or firmish, if they are firmish they should be ok. If the tips feel hollow, keep feeling them from the tips back up to the main part and see if there is firmness back towards the main part which signifies that it is still quite ok. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
12 years 3 months ago #407464 by railview
Thanks 4trees. Have given the roots a squeeze. Quite a good percentage of the crowns seems to have some firmish roots. :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #407554 by katieb
last year I got crowns from my garden centre... just got them to phone me when their order arrived, I harvested a little from them that year, & more this year :)

I also got seeds from kings seeds last year, planted some in trays but due to me forgetting to water them a bit 3or 4 out of 8-10 survived ops, I planted the rest of the seeds directly in the ground this year & nearly all sprouted :) im going to have sooo much asparagus in a couple of years :D

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
12 years 3 months ago #407568 by Simkin
Soak them in water asap for half a day or so, then heal them in - that means put them into soil in your garden, not necessarily into their permanent position.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds