What are you sowing this week?

More
12 years 7 months ago #393904 by dj_fitzm
We are up in Auckland still, in our smaller vege garden and I have just sown more peas, potatoes, eggplant (will be kept indoors a lot longer I think), beans, beetroot, spinach, radish, and lots of annual flowers. I read my Oct copy of NZ Gardener and it said to sow everything except cucumbers, beans... so I went into a frenzy :) though it is not quite October yet.

Just went to Warehouse and saw many seedlings out, tomatoes, cucumbers, all the warm season herbs, basil etc. I think it is too early for them to go into the ground. A lady was buying punnets of basil (at least 10) and I wanted to tell her that it is really too early but in the end I chickened out. I should really as it cost quite a bit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #393990 by Minstrel

Seaside;385842 wrote:
Anyway, I have ordered my seeds and have the usual suspects in terms of chillies, my favourite tomatoes plus others to experiment with (I'm trying two packets of different blends this year to grow more variety for the same price), and some random new-comers, like black peanuts and caigua.

Pardon my ignorance but where do you order seeds from ?? Do you get lots more variety than at the garden centers or M10 ? :)

More
12 years 7 months ago #394011 by Blueberry

madeit;388367 wrote: oo is that hospital (theatres) chucked out trays I see there ! :) ther great eyh ! I have heaps my other half bringshome from work , so good to recycle these things as the hospitals produce so much waste ! only wish my seedlings were as far on as yours ![;)]

Nope, madeit, those are berry trays (take about 1.5 kg berries) we used to use for the blueberries before we got punnets with a lid (lot less likely to be tipped out in the shopping bag[;)]). They are just the right size for 2 seedlings punnets, or 12 of my paper pots, so no worry with watering. and i have a couple thousand of them, so no shortage :D

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
12 years 7 months ago #394012 by Blueberry

Minstrel;388511 wrote: Pardon my ignorance but where do you order seeds from ?? Do you get lots more variety than at the garden centers or M10 ? :)

oohhh, yes Minstrel, loads more choice!!
try www.kingsseeds.co.nz
www.egmontseeds.co.nz
www.italian seedspronto.co.nz
www.koanga.org.nz

and go wild :D :D [;)]

[;)] Blueberry

More
12 years 7 months ago #394016 by Seaside

Minstrel;388511 wrote: Pardon my ignorance but where do you order seeds from ?? Do you get lots more variety than at the garden centers or M10 ? :)

As Blueberry said! This year, I got all of mine from Kings Seeds. There is a minimum order ($15 from memory, but check). I plant hundreds of chilli and tomato seeds and sell the fruit (roadside, farmers market, online, processed), and it can work out cheaper if you are buying in bulk. You can browse their catelogue online or pay for a copy to be mailed, then they seem to send you one for free every year after (mind you, I order every year). I also sometimes order from Egmont and last year I got some really cool corn varieties from Koanga.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 7 months ago #394038 by eelcat
We've just got an order from Kings (very exciting way of shopping) and then I remembered I needed a pack of radishes - I went to local hardward store - they are about $2.50 more expenive than Kings, even allowing for postage!!!!

My beans are up as are some peas and a few miniature carrots

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 7 months ago #394147 by Blueberry
Hey, Seaside, I never have a problem with the minimum quantity stipulated by seed catalogues :D :p :o[:I] - but hubby often has a problem with my maximum quantities :D :D :D :D

I've been into seeding rootcrops: parsnips, beetroot, carrots, radishes, burrdock, onions (beautiful long red ones from Italy), have pricked out the carnations, daisies and sunflowers into individual pots, will do the same with the lettuces tonight, and seed out some more leafy stuff.

getting the beds ready for my cucumbers - 6 or so different varieties[^]

[;)] Blueberry

More
12 years 7 months ago #394213 by Stikkibeek
Having had great trouble tracking down some Red King seed potatoes , I managed to get some last weekend, so I know what I will be doing tomorrow. Have 5 kilo of Red King and 1 kilo of Elam Hardy to put in. Also got some more tomato plants to put out in the green house.

Blueberry, have you tried the Port Albert cucumbers? They are a medium/long white, very sweet when young and well worth growing.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 7 months ago #394356 by Leslie_NZ
I got rather excited this weekend and went out and purchased some little peat pots for my seeds, and have half planned my new vege garden, just trying to figure out how to make a 'weed free' garden with limited resources, I was hoping to track down some cheaper barley straw in northland but to little success. It all seems to be in Canterbury at least on TM anyway.

Next weekend hopefully borrowing dads ute and getting a pile of horse manure to layer over the garden and then put newspaper down to supress weeds, just trying to figure out what to put on top of the paper mulch wise and to prevent it blowing away, and then I have to put up shade cloth to keep my hard work from being tossed all over the place by enthusiastic chickens.

But seeds potted up so far are zucchini, I'm going to end up with an over abundance as I have put in 4 plants and there is only 2 of us.
Corn 12 seeds all potted
Scarlet runner beans.
Cherry tomatos.
Raindow Silverbeet and spinach I'm relocating to an old wooden wheelbarrow that will sit nearby the garden, I figured it will look neat and garden arty at the same time :D
Potatos, my OH managed to obtain the bottom part of a 500l plastic water tank so that I can have a "potato bucket" and wont end up with feral potatos everywhere, and we will try our hand at growing potatos for the first time as well, so the seed potatos are bought and now sitting out ready for chitting.

Carrots I'm currently eyeballing a plastic bin which would be perfect but I have a feeling OH will say no.... :( lettuce I had planned for my raised garden bed, but I have to wait until it is built. so can't plan that part of the garden yet.

Now to ponder what else I can fit in, and the best place to put a couple of vine plants. :D

More
12 years 7 months ago #394393 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic What are you sowing this week?
Hi Lesley - do you have access to some old fleeces or pieces (daggy is good)? I use that on top of my newspaper and pile soil and compost on top of that. Works well for me, helps hold moisture in, and decomposes to the point of being easy to dig in after a year. I've also used fleece as a mulch on top, after plants are in.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 7 months ago #394469 by Minstrel
Got busy on the weekend and spuds in, carrots in, pumpkin in, peas in, corgettes in, rhubarb in - not bad for this amateur :) now just to wait and see if they grow !!

More
12 years 7 months ago #394507 by Blueberry
yeah, weekend was great: more cucumbers, lettuces both heading and cut-and-come-again, sweet corn, and loads of herbs; basil, thyme, corriancer, sorrel, dill, savory.
Pricking out of loose leaf lettuces, sunflowers, garden pinks and daisies. transplanting the last of the first lot cucurbit family into larger pots - they are rooting through the paper pots.

[;)] Blueberry

More
12 years 7 months ago #394511 by Minstrel
After seeing your pics Blueberry I do feel rather inspired ;)

More
12 years 7 months ago #394592 by Blueberry

Minstrel;389094 wrote: After seeing your pics Blueberry I do feel rather inspired ;)

Good on you Minstrel - go for it[;)] - I do so love to inspire people[:I]:o[8D][}:)]

But be careful - it can turn into an addiction, and then your hubby is in for a lot of 'projects' to keep you happy :D [}:)][}:)]

[;)] Blueberry

More
12 years 7 months ago #394602 by Seaside
Well, I still haven't planted anything much. About four of the tomatoes have survived the frost and are starting to get their first true leaves.

However, I do have quite a lot of activity in my front-of-house veggie patch (since I turned it into a bamboo fortress to keep the chooks out), with garlic, beetroot (planted last autumn and sat there with tiny leaves all winters), romanesco broccoli, peas now flowering and runway strawberry plants taking over a third of the patch. And the rhubarb is starting to come away. There are also radish plants which are fairly old and going to seed (will pull them out when it's warm enough for my beans), and a healthy parsley plant.

However, I'm taking a couple of days off work next week, by which time the plastic will be on the tunnel house (weather permitting - I don't fancy putting it up on a windy day) and I will hopefully sow most of my 2000-ish seeds.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds