What are you sowing this week?

More
12 years 8 months ago #392351 by Stikkibeek
Beans in the green house are up. Capsicums I planted in there a week ago are now twice the height they were when planted. Miscellaneous scarlet runners that got hoed through the garden when OH put the cultivator through it are also up. May transplant some of them to the bean fence. I don't know how well they will do as the ones that come up from the rootstock don't usually emerge until about November. Soil must be quite warm. I should be pricking out the tomatoes tomorrow so I will have to round up some pots for them and get a bit of seed raising mix under way.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #392915 by UsBlacksheep1
We've planted into punnets ...6 tomatoe varieties (all heritage), 2 types of courgettes, 3 lots of corn (some from seed box), lupins, foxgloves, aquelias,calendula,basil,red and choc peppers,2 types of cucumbers,hmm..theres more but cant remember[;)]

back on lifestyle block..so excited!..
Still have a full on Jack Russell,a Bischon X, Lilly cat,our new cat Fudge ,max the horse cat,plus 14 Barnevelders....

More
12 years 8 months ago #392938 by Seaside
Blueberry, I'm green with envy at your seedlings!I didn't plant anything over the weekend because we spent it deconstructing the tunnel house (all 48m of it) and will hopefully reconstruct it in its new spot next weekend. This involved digging 30 holes 80cm deep to remove the pins. On the poplar side, there were thick roots - no wonder nothing was growing!Still getting frosts here, in fact my 50-or-so tommy toe (minature tomato) seedlings got frosted late last week, even in the tunnel house (broccoli seedlings were fine). I think a few will come right though. Am keeping them under cover on the north-facing side of the house.I have my seed order, so I will start planting in earnest in a couple of weeks.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 8 months ago #392943 by Blueberry
Oh, Seaside, i so feel with you - hate it when those carefully babied plants get destroyed by mightier forces:( :(
I have now progressed to 1inch sprouts in the sweetcorn pots, my melons are showing some signs of popping their heads up, and I seeded the - wait for it! - Jicama (mexican water chestnut?), liquourish (sp?) and peanuts.
i'm seriously considering putting the runner beans outside, and the cucurbit family will be getting larger pots this weekend. The cocktail tomatos have decided to come up, too, but the chilli mix prooves elusive. I went through my supply of older lettuce seed and poured some bottom of the bag quantities into trays - not all were viable any more. Still so far I have 5 lettuce varieties showing, a mix of loose leaf and buttercrunch, my personal favorite.
Spent a sunny afternoon yesterday getting some more beds ready for planting. :pSpurred along the by realisation that I may have been overly optimistic with the quantitiy of seedlings..?:p

Still have to transfer more soil into my new glasshouse, so hubby can then put on the glass panes, really making it a glass house :D [^][^]. I spent a bloody fortune on Daltons Organic Compost for the top layer in that brand new greenhouse. i'm sooooo looking forward to a plentyful supply of tomatos!! (or so i hope[:I] :) )

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
12 years 8 months ago #392949 by Leslie_NZ
Ok, I'm going to ask possibly a silly question, So new to this exciting self sufficient vegetable lifestyle, and last year I planted corn way too late in the season and got very little off it, so I'm starting early this time!!!

With Beans, scarlet runners etc, is it best to sprout them and then plant them out, or just plant the seed directly and hope for the best?

Although I dont have a glass house (we sold it when we first moved here as we didnt think we would ever use it... and a year later I'm regretting that idea)! But we have a north facing "sun room" which the ring neck parrot currently utilises, so I was going to place my germinating seeds in there to keep them safe and warm, hence the question, better to germinate first then transplant, or direct sow?

More
12 years 8 months ago #392964 by Nora
Replied by Nora on topic What are you sowing this week?

Leslie_NZ;387365 wrote: better to germinate first then transplant, or direct sow?

I prefer to direct sow, as the transplantees tend not to make it in my hands, either not tall enough to transplant, or die on transplanting.

More
12 years 8 months ago #392969 by Blueberry
Well, Leslie, it depends how much work you want to make for yourself, and how much and what type of large and small ‘wild’ life you have in your garden.
I get much, much, much better results seeding into trays and pots indoors, and then transplanting when they have a good size, as opposed to seeding directly. Snails, slugs and the birds tend to partake freely until the plants get to a certain size, and it’s just so frustrating. Like you, I have a special room (a conservatory) where I can leave my little treasures in plenty of light. It’s attached to the house, and does cool down quite a bit at night, so I don’t need to worry about the plants getting leggy too fast (it also heats the house nicely during the day).
Where we are, it’s mild, and frosts should be done for the season, but we don’t get the big heat in summer (nor the big cold in winterJ) either.

[;)] Blueberry

More
12 years 8 months ago #392994 by Seaside
I find I have much more success transplanting also, especially with corn and curcurbits. And chillies and tomatoes. The only things I plant direct are garlic, onions, carrots, beetroot, and peas. And sometimes beans if it's warm enough. I have more success using seed cells (individual cells with one or two seeds) than seed trays for some reason. Wait until they have three sets of leaves (not including the first 'baby' leaves which aren't true leaves) until transplanting. If you can see the roots poking out the bottom of the seed cell, then you know it's definitely time to plant.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 8 months ago #392995 by Leslie_NZ
Hrmmm, this is a good point Blueberry, regarding the "large" wildlife being chickens, they take care of the slugs and snails... mainly by eating the plants... but they still take care of them!!! Will have to convince the girls to keep out of the garden this year!
Am heading into town tomorrow so will pick up some seed raising mix and try to get some seedlings growing, then I have a little more time to sort out my garden patch from the weeds prior to transplanting! I love gardening... its the weeding I hate, its much like house work, I only do it if I really have to. (I'm planning all my landscaping around no weeding gardens too. flowers = wildflowers or bulbs, and planting native trees etc.

More
12 years 7 months ago #393628 by Xartep
Yesterday I was given a bag of strawberry plants and a clump of sorrel.

Looked up companion planting for sorrel = "strawberries" :D :D :D

So today I weeded one of my garden beds, and removed the 30 add marigolds that were holding places for me in there.

Off down to the neighbours wool shed for the conviently well composted sheep leavings and dug that in, then sprinkled over some dried and mulched seaweed, watered it in and planted it all.

As I had bought 2 punnets of strawberries last week (2 varieties) and found 8 plants that survived the ravages of naughty piglets last year I used the sorrel as a divider between the types, so I can see how each one does and decide which to keep at the end of the season.

One type already has flowers on it :D :D :D :D

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 7 months ago #393722 by Hawkspur

Seaside;385648 wrote: ...
No point sowing gherkins, zucchini, pumpkins or cucumbers outside here - we could easily get another frost in the next month here...

kai;385724 wrote: yikes! is your place really so different from here? it isn't that far away, frosts have been gone for a month now.

Seaside;385805 wrote: Yup! Had a light frost this morning (car windscreen iced up too). They are usually all done by Labour day weekend, but last year we had one after that. It seems to be worse the closer to the mountains you are - Andrea tends to have earlier and later frosts than us, even though she's only 20km-ish further west...

highgirl;385820 wrote: wow, I'm surprised you had a frost this morning SS, we got cold but didn't have a frost...mind you we did have snow last week....

We had a frost yesterday in Christchurch. Banks Peninsula and the Port Hills have some sheltered microclimates that avoid the frost, which is why it is the southern limit for a few frost sensitive native plants like Nikau.

More
12 years 7 months ago #393739 by Blueberry
I've been keeping fingers and toes crossed as well the last two days. Trust the weather to send through a cold snap just after i planted my runner beans outside. [B)][B)]
But we have escaped calamity, and yesterday i cleared 3 10m long beds, so i can lurch into rootcrop seeding tonight - it's a root day by the moon calendar, sooo, taking all the help i can get, it's carrot, raddish, turnip and beetroot day today :) [^]

[;)] Blueberry

More
12 years 7 months ago #393845 by foufee
the vege seeds all went in over the weekend - I might cheat and get some young plants to make sure I have crop before the christmas relly deluge

finally got around to planting my goji seeds - have soaked them for a couple of days, now they are tucked up nice and warm to germinate in the hot water cupboard. If these 20 don't work I have another 80 seeds to try, since I only want 2 plants I think this should give me fair odds :)

More
12 years 7 months ago #393860 by madeit

Blueberry;386216 wrote: yeah, i know, it's disgusting :D :D
i'm impressed with myself, but, to be honest, i generally start out full of verve, and the garden looks great until Christmas, then the berry season comes around, i run out of time, and by the time the berries are harvested, the vege garden is a jungle!
So i'm bragging while i still have reason to :D :D :o

oo is that hospital (theatres) chucked out trays I see there ! :) ther great eyh ! I have heaps my other half bringshome from work , so good to recycle these things as the hospitals produce so much waste ! only wish my seedlings were as far on as yours ![;)]

More
12 years 7 months ago #393861 by eelcat
Beans in the garden are through, as are the peas. A few carrots are up, and lots of salad greens. Today planted more dwarf beans with raddish between as a row marker and a fast crop. Planted some bulbs (oops, a little late but they are shooting) in amongst my beautifully flowering comfrey

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds