What are you sowing this week?

More
12 years 8 months ago #391480 by highgirl
kalnetta, could you please send it again? Sorry it did come but differently from normal and I got confused [:I][:I] ... it doesn't take much to confuse me sometimes [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391492 by thevarneys
I have planted 26 punnets of cherry toms, beef steak toms, money maker toms, 2 diff cucumbers, capsicum, spinich, silverbeet, snow peas, sweet peas, climbing beans 2 types, dwarf beans 3 types, onions, parsnips, and basil. We are in Northland, possibly all done with frosts, started seeds inside but take outside during the day with plastic on top to warm them up.
High Girl - your toms might be lanky due to being kept indoors out of wind etc, they shoot up but have no strength in their stems and then dont do so well when they are outside permanently.

My method is to open up my seed box and get all the packets with the right part of the country shaded for this month, and plant, plant, plant...
I am going to try and plant again every 6 weeks, so instead of having half a ton of tomatoes ripe at the same time (seriously, I made so much relish, about 30 agee jars), I can have them on a constant supply.

I did have the yates calendar somewhere, which also told you what to plant and when.

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391493 by Stikkibeek
I've put in 4 short rows of potatoes, 6 capsicum and replanted some of the Egyptian flat beetroot seed as not much of the first lot germinated. My tomato seedlings which are about 6 weeks late this year (Couldn't find my stored seed) are now 3 inches high and developing their primary leaves. They were looking a little stressed and I think the soil was a bit suspect so I gave them a weak tea of A&B hydroponic solution. Now, a week later they are looking a whole lot better. Will repeat the feeding of them next weekend.

TV, I've tried the delayed planting trick of spreading out various vegetables so they don't all come at once. Doesn't seem to work LOL. the early ones seem to deliberately slow down and the later ones speed up, so that they have all conspired to be ready at the same time. Don't think you can win against plants and their obvious collaboration

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 8 months ago #391542 by Seaside

yikes! is your place really so different from here? it isn't that far away, frosts have been gone for a month now.

Yup! Had a light frost this morning (car windscreen iced up too). They are usually all done by Labour day weekend, but last year we had one after that. It seems to be worse the closer to the mountains you are - Andrea tends to have earlier and later frosts than us, even though she's only 20km-ish further west.

highgirl;385730 wrote: Thanks for that Seaside, I was thinking I could pop in next week if you are going to be free. I always have trouble with my tomatoes going lanky :confused: I don't know if it's because they don't get enough light or not but I'll try again this year.

Have you done melons before? My mum just bought some seeds because she thought it would be quite a hot dry summer this year.

Let me know when and I'll put the kettle on.

Lanky tomatoes are usually due to lack of light.

Yes, I have grown melons and watermelons relatively successfully, BUT I choose a short season variety (they are usually the 'baby' types), I grow them in a very sheltered spot, and I water them heaps using a seeper hose.

Generally speaking, from what I've been told, Canterbury isn't the easiest place to grow melons.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 8 months ago #391552 by kimberj06
Cool thread! So I am in Urban Dunedin (still! [xx(]) I have got cabbage and Broccoli seedlings outside - I use a frost cloth cloche if the weather is looking dodgy. Strawberries and lettuces, Gooseberries, Raspberries, Red Currants and Blackberries are all new to my garden this year. I planted out four rows of carrot seed in a tub last week and rescued last years capsicum from being rootbound in a pot and planted it in a sunny sheltered spot. I still have onions and garlic doing their thing from earlier in the year, and next week or the week after (depending on temps) I plan to put in Peas and sweet corn in one garden and potatoes in another. Then I will be struggling for space! In my tiny wee gro-house I have 6 cherry tomatoes seedlings coming along nicely plus some basil plants to keep them company. Oh - and 6 spinach plants just starting to strengthen, in the ground.

My next challenge is to attempt to build a "proper" compost that doesn't go all anaerobic and stinky on me!

Hoping to get out of the city while I am still young enough to make the land productive.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391556 by highgirl
wow, I'm surprised you had a frost this morning SS, we got cold but didn't have a frost...mind you we did have snow last week.

I think my tomato problem is a combination of the lack of wind to build their strength and a lack of sunlight.

I had heard melons were hard to grow in Canty, thats why I thought I'd ask you because you seem quite good with growing [;)] Mum is a little better than I am which is why I'll leave the melons to her (I'm still in the "apprentice" bracket - and at the lower end of that!) I still haven't even managed to have cucumbers...in fact the only thing I have managed it potatoes and carrots! oh and a couple of beetroot.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391573 by foufee
oh and my Goji seeds have just arrived so I will plant those too for eventual placement in my fruity hedge

More
12 years 8 months ago #391574 by Seaside

highgirl;385820 wrote: I thought I'd ask you because you seem quite good with growing

Thanks [:I] In truth, I don't think I'm particularly good at growing - I can do the watering OK (thanks to irrigation and timers), but I'm slack with feeding and weeding, except when I transplant. Any success I have is down to the tunnel house being such a great place to propogate seeds, especially having a mister to give them a light watering. Once they have a good start, they tend to survive if planted in the right spot at the right time (including melons, zucchini and cucumbers outside). The fact I'm a rampant experimenter, and will try to grow everything and anything, helps also, as something's bound to take :)

Anyway, I have ordered my seeds and have the usual suspects in terms of chillies, my favourite tomatoes plus others to experiment with (I'm trying two packets of different blends this year to grow more variety for the same price), and some random new-comers, like black peanuts and caigua.

I have also ordered rainbow blend for carrots - I'm not good at growing in the soil because my raised beds are only a few cms. So this year, I'm going to grow them in potting mix (possibly mixed with sand to dilute) in buckets. You can get 10l plastic buckets from The Warehouse for $1, and poke holes in the bottom, and voila! A cheap container (with a handle).

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 8 months ago #391576 by foxy nanny
Hi
im in fox glacier n new to gardening, I planted board beans, broc and sprouts back in april which are only really starting to grow now (had them covered with blue plastic sheeting during the frost) only 1 of each died.
Did some trays of spinach, carrots and sliverbeet seeds this week and keeping them in the greenhouse as frost seems to have gone. My house mate wants to get some tomato seeds when we next get chance to get less rural, she did some last year and cucumber, carrots and zuucchni? before the greenhouse got flooded.
I may try n do some beetroot if there is still time? Would also love to do some strawberries in the greenhouse or in the sheltered patio :cool:

More
12 years 8 months ago #391578 by kimberj06
Just to add to what seaaside said about buckets - we find that the "fish bins" at warehouse and mega stores are also great for this - a little heavier to shift around but they do stay where you put 'em! And they are deep enough for good sized carrots. Onions did well this way too and so did lettuces when I had to get a garden going for Dad to take home last year.

Hoping to get out of the city while I am still young enough to make the land productive.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391666 by sod
Replied by sod on topic What are you sowing this week?
We use polystrene boxes (they are free and light) till full) of dirt, compost. Plant on deck under cover against house on north side then move to garden area till all picked, tip soil out and reuse or replace if broken.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 8 months ago #391759 by Blueberry

Seaside;385842 wrote: Thanks [:I] In truth, I don't think I'm particularly good at growing - I can do the watering OK (thanks to irrigation and timers), but I'm slack with feeding and weeding, except when I transplant. Any success I have is down to the tunnel house being such a great place to propogate seeds, especially having a mister to give them a light watering. Once they have a good start, they tend to survive if planted in the right spot at the right time (including melons, zucchini and cucumbers outside). The fact I'm a rampant experimenter, and will try to grow everything and anything, helps also, as something's bound to take :)

Anyway, I have ordered my seeds and have the usual suspects in terms of chillies, my favourite tomatoes plus others to experiment with (I'm trying two packets of different blends this year to grow more variety for the same price), and some random new-comers, like black peanuts and caigua.

I have also ordered rainbow blend for carrots - I'm not good at growing in the soil because my raised beds are only a few cms. So this year, I'm going to grow them in potting mix (possibly mixed with sand to dilute) in buckets. You can get 10l plastic buckets from The Warehouse for $1, and poke holes in the bottom, and voila! A cheap container (with a handle).

aahh, my kind of organisation. SS, I, too, could not resist the black peanut and the Caigua - 2 of which are already 10 cm high in paperpots on the glass table in our conservatory - i'm running out of space!! with Orange, purple and green cauliflower, broccoli, kohlrabi, bulb fennel, various lettuce varieties, various runner beans in larger pots, tomatoes, chillies, 1 red pepper variety, 2 each of 6 different gourds/courgettes, various cucumber and gherkins varieties, 2 melons, a couple trays of flowers. just transplanted the rocket, mustard, and assorted asian greens outside, and poked some peas in the ground. the root veges are up for this weekend; carrots, beetroot, turnip etc.

i LOVE spring!! :D [^]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
12 years 8 months ago #391773 by kai
Replied by kai on topic What are you sowing this week?
Blueberry! people like you make me sick! :D
so flaming organised and months ahead of me!.
Yup running out of space as well.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391810 by KiplingAngel
Well Done Blueberry!!! You're more organised than me! I can point to this thread and say you're my inspiriation now...lol

Hubby is getting a little impatient with the number of seedlings I've popped in - got some new play plants too - purple flowering snow peas, adzuke beans and a few other heritage goodies from Koanga

My tatsoi is flowering like mad, so hopefully I'll have some new seeds soon too

More
12 years 8 months ago #391927 by Blueberry

kai;386052 wrote: Blueberry! people like you make me sick! :D
so flaming organised and months ahead of me!.
Yup running out of space as well.

yeah, i know, it's disgusting :D :D
i'm impressed with myself, but, to be honest, i generally start out full of verve, and the garden looks great until Christmas, then the berry season comes around, i run out of time, and by the time the berries are harvested, the vege garden is a jungle!
So i'm bragging while i still have reason to :D :D :o

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds