What are you sowing this week?

More
12 years 8 months ago #28664 by kai
Thought this might be a useful prompter for people, so say what they are sowing how (tunnel house, outside, windowsill etc) and which part of the country.

Banks Peninsula
Last week chillies in the tunnel house on the flood and drain table
Tomorrow tomatoes ditto, celeriac outside, kale outside.
Lavender - green - tunnel house
aquilegea - random scattering in the shady areas
daisy - turquoise from kings seeds - trays in tunnel house
pumpkin - several varieties, randomly scattered in the usual pumpkin patch
gerkins - sown directly in veggie patch.

and probably a lot more others will update tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391322 by shad297
Well the broad beans we planted a few weeks ago in raised veg plot are going great guns. Hubby has just planted some of last year's runner beans (or could be the year before) that seem to grow really well against a sunny fence.
Palmerston North suburbia!
ps. and he's growing leeks in pots for a Welsh office/desk display (yes Rugby themed thing at work) for the next couple of weeks.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391331 by eelcat
Planted lettuce, mesclun, rocket, raddishes, carrots, parsnips, and peas yesterday. Pumpkins and gherkins in a few days or so, but will need to cover for frost. Fortunately we haev an early warning system for frost here - surrounded by vineyards all their turbnies start when a frost is on its way :-)

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 8 months ago #391332 by kai
Replied by kai on topic What are you sowing this week?

eelcat;385577 wrote: Planted lettuce, mesclun, rocket, raddishes, carrots, parsnips, and peas yesterday. Pumpkins and gherkins in a few days or so, but will need to cover for frost. Fortunately we haev an early warning system for frost here - surrounded by vineyards all their turbnies start when a frost is on its way :-)

what have turbines got to do with frost? (not being in a grape area, I don't know what you are on about)

More
12 years 8 months ago #391335 by shad297
Maybe they raise the temperature/moves the air around or something. Just thinking about our kitchen fan that we have that has two settings Summer/Winter. In summer it rotates one way and moves the warm air up and in winter warm air down....I think???? either way it is quite effective when woodburner is going.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391337 by foufee
I plan to get some eggplant seeds into pots, maybe tomato and cucumber as well and capsicum.
Thinking about sowing out some pumpkin and watermelon into compost piles, but am waiting for the goat to graze out the area first, another couple of days.

but I have no gardening sense so if I were anyone else I would not pay any attention to what I plant, when or where :D

More
12 years 8 months ago #391338 by sod
Replied by sod on topic What are you sowing this week?
foufee you sound like me I just get the idea it is time and go plant in hope :D
Have got loads of pumpkin seeds and been throwing them on compost piles, tomato plants about 3inches high in boxes on verander along with lettuce, silver beet, cabbage and to-day corn,more tomato seeds plus others I find.

Thanks Kai great idea and help to see what others are doing and I aint. :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 8 months ago #391343 by KiplingAngel
I've got tomatoes going, beans, peas, pumpkins, courgettes, carrots, beets, cukes, lettuce, cabbages, peppers, and all kinds of other goodies - think I might have been a little too enthusiastic, so will have to give a few away.

Such is life eh?

A great website is www.gardenate.com/?month=9 for keeping you on track - I have printed these out and laminated them so that they can live in my greenhouse and not disintegrate.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391355 by eelcat

KiplingAngel;385590 wrote: I've got tomatoes going, beans, peas, pumpkins, courgettes, carrots, beets, cukes, lettuce, cabbages, peppers, and all kinds of other goodies - think I might have been a little too enthusiastic, so will have to give a few away.

Such is life eh?

A great website is www.gardenate.com/?month=9 for keeping you on track - I have printed these out and laminated them so that they can live in my greenhouse and not disintegrate.

They also send out monthly emails of what to plant each month.

I assume the turbines keep the air moving so the frost is not so intense. Some places use burning oil, and some, especially when we were first here, used to fly helicopters around.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 8 months ago #391382 by highgirl
What a great idea for a thread Kai...i've been itching to get planting for a few weeks now but am still a bit tentative about what I can do... and I've had the added problem of knowing we'll be moving in Jan.

I'm desperate to get some tomatoes underway because last year my goats cleared the lot of them before I got anything :(

More
12 years 8 months ago #391397 by Seaside
I have only just ordered my seeds, although I did sow seeds of tomatoes (leftover from last year) in the tunnel house (ones that are good for containers) a couple of weeks ago, and also some purple cauliflowers. I have been meaning to plant more peas and snow peas outside, they don't like it when it gets too hot.

We are moving the tunnel house next weekend, and then it will take a couple of weekends to re-cover it and sort out the irrigation, so I might not be planting my heat-lovers until the end of September.

No point sowing gherkins, zucchini, pumpkins or cucumbers outside here - we could easily get another frost in the next month here and they grow so fast they'd be out of the ground in a week or two. I tend to start them under cover and transplant.

HG, you could try indoor tomatoes in pots - better than nothing and they can move with you. The ones I've planted are Tommy Toe, if you pop in sometime you can have some seeds (I have too many), and/or a couple of seedlings (though they are a couple of weeks away from being able to be potted up from the seed cell).

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 8 months ago #391437 by sarniagirl
thanks so much that was really helpful.just started my new veggie pacth at the weekend

More
12 years 8 months ago #391466 by kai
Replied by kai on topic What are you sowing this week?

Seaside;385648 wrote:

No point sowing gherkins, zucchini, pumpkins or cucumbers outside here - we could easily get another frost in the next month here

yikes! is your place really so different from here? it isn't that far away, frosts have been gone for a month now.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391471 by highgirl
Thanks for that Seaside, I was thinking I could pop in next week if you are going to be free. I always have trouble with my tomatoes going lanky :confused: I don't know if it's because they don't get enough light or not but I'll try again this year.

Have you done melons before? My mum just bought some seeds because she thought it would be quite a hot dry summer this year.

More
12 years 8 months ago #391476 by kalnetta
highgirl did You get My pm.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds