Thoughts on shifting rhodo's?

More
12 years 7 months ago #28618 by highgirl
I don't know much about shifting rhodo's but I would have thought now would not be the right time?

Can anyone let me know because the owners of the property I'm in are going to move some in the weekend and I'd like to be able to withdraw my responsibility over their wellbeing if its not the right time...especially because it's been relatively dry considering, and I'm bad at remembering to water at the best of times [:I]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390889 by Blueberry
As they are evergreens, it does not really matter that much, methinks.
If they are in flower now, are soon to be flowering, that might not happen. And i'm also thinking some sort of pruning should take place to keep the evaporation of moisture through the leaves to a minimum.
if they want to plant, why should the watering be your responsibility?

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
12 years 7 months ago #390932 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Thoughts on shifting rhodo's?
Might be silly to ask, but do they know not to put them where stock can eat them? :rolleyes:

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390954 by kaponga
Mid winter is best; they are dormant then. However they go into a sort of dormant state in summer in that they stop growing... they flower in spring and then set buds for next year. I've moved them in midsummer and only lost a few (learnt that pruning them back hard helps here, since I too can be haphazard in watering)
Has it flowered yet?

More
12 years 7 months ago #390964 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Thoughts on shifting rhodo's?
in general they do not like to be moved at any time, they do not like their roots disturbed once established.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds