Has anyone tried Probitas Garden Blend?

More
14 years 2 months ago #22279 by kcousins
Found this on their website: Probitas are proud to introduce Probitas Garden Blend to home gardens throughout New Zealand. Designed for the home gardener and the lifestyle block owner, Garden Blend shields plants from disease and insect manifestations by building stronger, healthier plants, resistant to attack.

www.ecofarm.co.nz/Articles/Probitas+rele...+home+gardeners.html

Has anyone tried it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #320988 by arnie.m
I think there is a lot of for & against this product. Did not MAF have a bit to say a few years back? I might be wrong but it rings a bell.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
14 years 2 months ago #321025 by bethy
Hi kcousins,
Yes, I have seen and tasted the evidence of veges grown with Probitas (solely) and I can definitely vouch for the quality and health and flavour of them. I do not use it (YET) but after seeing the complete turnaround at my friends' place I am definitely convinced as to its efficacy.
Once again don't believe all the 'smear' campaigns that abound through the media - don't forget if a 'little' guy has a product that could get people talking and changing tack, of course the 'big' guys are going to take notice too.....
Anyway the 'smear' campaign did not concern the efficacy of the product.

I am sure that if you wanted to do a trial plot you may be able to get a free sample at Field days etc? or from other people that are already using it. I for one will definitely be trialling it.
Happy researching

More
14 years 2 months ago #321041 by GrantK

bethy;306692 wrote: Once again don't believe all the 'smear' campaigns that abound through the media - don't forget if a 'little' guy has a product that could get people talking and changing tack, of course the 'big' guys are going to take notice too.....

It wasn't a "smear" campaign, they were prosecuted by the Commerce Commission for "deceptive claims about Probitas fertiliser" and were fined the gob-smacking amount of $272,500.

www.comcom.govt.nz/FairTrading/272500pen...eptiveclaimsabo.aspx

bethy;306692 wrote: Anyway the 'smear' campaign did not concern the efficacy of the product.

Excuse me ... how does making "deceptive claims about Probitas fertiliser" not concern the efficacy of the product?

People should read the ComCom judgement and make up their own minds.

Inger was keen to try Probitas at one stage, so we got a visit from the local rep. He was more akin to a snake oil salesman than anything else, and gave us a CD and some literature to support his claims of "paramagnetic rock" which was used to "activate the electrical and magnetic processes in the soil". In a previous life, I was an Electrical Engineer with a Bachelor of Engineering degree from Auckland University, so I knew that these claims were complete and utter bollocks.

There are plenty of other producers of Organic Fertiliser, if that's what you are looking for, so my advice would be to look at alternatives.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 2 months ago #321043 by kcousins
Is Probitas fertiliser separate to Garden Blend or the same thing? :confused:

More
14 years 2 months ago #321044 by Organix
From the ComCom report it would seem like yet another snake oil product sold under the claim of being "organic". Unfortunately there are no shortage of such products being sold either as miracle stand alone products or as genuinely good products being sold by salespeople ignorant of the need for other inputs being required in order to obtain a synergistic effect. By that I mean the use of growth stimulating substances being applied in isolation so effectively 'mining' your soil to exhaustion.

It is interesting to note though that:

“Farmers will not be able to put their losses right by switching fertilisers. They will need to apply more fertiliser than usual to counteract the effects of using Probitas.”

could just as easily apply to continued and isolated use of urea, as over time it effectively depletes the organic matter content and reduces topsoil depth :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 2 months ago #321046 by Organix

kcousins;306712 wrote: Is Probitas fertiliser separate to Garden Blend or the same thing? :confused:

Same company, same names..... same credibility?
One product does not make you organic and there are plenty of more reputable products and advice available in NZ.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 2 months ago #321134 by arnie.m
I think Probitis possibly allowed the plant to access the fertilizer that is there in the soil and was good in the respect. This of course is short term results and after a season the plants went possibly went backwards. good compost, or Maxicrop appeared to do the same, this is my opinion. One has to keep adding nutrients to replace what the plants take. Cost is always a factor. And any free compost is always the way to go first. It works for me.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
14 years 2 months ago #322799 by Whatorganics
The probits guy was only judged against it still hasnt been proven and hasnt had to pay any money yet.
It is a very different theiory to how it works alot to do with the up take and silicon, I had trouble understanding it. Its like way out there and goes against all conventional thinking, hence the reason the conventional fert companies want him gone, if he is proven to be correct they will be all out of work and money big time and the enviroment will sigh with relief.
I havent used it but have had discussions with leading people will supply it. Get hold of a CD that they have its awsome I have the latest model.
There are some good fert companies out there Agrissentials is another.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds