Plants for driveways?

• Bo Peep
14 years 2 months ago #314822 by Bo Peep
Replied by Bo Peep on topic Plants for driveways?
Hi I also have a long drive but flat. I have planted pistashio trees along part of it. On another part I have Maples and one area of ground cover that is cottoneaster. (I must say here though, that the cottoneaster although is a great weed supressor does seem to readily seed elsewhere in the garden.)
I have 2 hectares of garden and am always on the look out for ground covers and have found that rock roses are grossly under utilised. Also escolonias are a really good weed suppresses.
Hope this helps

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #314861 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Plants for driveways?
Hi Bo Peep and welcome to lsb :D

To your pistashio trees fruit (or should that be nut?) Anyway, do you get nuts from them? How easy are they to grow?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 2 months ago #314876 by OakhengeFarm
Replied by OakhengeFarm on topic Plants for driveways?
Thanks for the suggestions so far. We are still in discussions with contractors re having the driveway "surface" re-done. When the subdivision was done, a track was bulldozed and some big rocks dumped on it. This was apparently the "base course" and they never came back to finish it despite various threats etc, so it is now a rocky, potholed disaster area. The developer paid for it in advance, and has since gone bankrupt / disappeared, so no recourse there. Suffice it to say, Burgess and Crowley are NOT on our list of possibles to fix it.

Anyway, once it is all fixed, I will end up with about a metre wide strip on the "downhill" side, next to the boundary fence and the neighbours cow / hay paddock. Their paddock is slightly below our drive level, and gets boggy in heavy rain, but that's not our problem, thankfully.

The other side has a steep bank up to a metre high at peak, with up to a metre wide going to our future cow paddock.

Climate wise, we have an annual rainfall here of 4 and a half metres, so will never dry out. Once the contouring is fixed, it will drain properly, so no boggy bits. Plenty of sun, other than when we're in cloud, or rain.

At the moment I am leaning towards flaxes and grasses / clumpy type plants. (Excluding the dreaded agapanthus, although it would fit well). I have already planted some flaxes at one end, so I think I'll just progressively move along the drive, planting fairly thickly, and stick to the top of the bank until the digger has been.

Any suggestions for something to drape down the bank, some ground-cover type thing, just to cover the bare bank? There will be nothing at the bottom - the driveway will go right to the bank edge.

I'll post photos as soon as it stops raining (if it ever does! lol)

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
14 years 2 months ago #314882 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Plants for driveways?
We have the same dilemma at the moment too; what to plant as ground cover to preserve the bank & look pretty without interfering with the electric fence & without being too high maintenance.

So far, I'm quite keen on that little pink carpet rose (husband is not!) as I think it's one of the few things that ticks all of the boxes. We have extremes up here; hot drought conditions in summer & boggy wetland in winter. We also get the odd frost too. I figured the carpet roses could be a good option as they're really hardy, cope with all extremes, flower prolifically for much of the year & can be chopped back hard when required without damage to the plants.

More
14 years 2 months ago #314894 by kaponga
Replied by kaponga on topic Plants for driveways?
How about ice-plant for the near vertical bits?
Succulant type plant, that has either pink or yellow flowers. Not sure of the latin name, or even a more official name.
Tis hardy, and withstand drought. Not altogether sure on how it goes with wet feet, but on a bank is that too much of an issue?

I too have recently discovered rock roses. Have a yellow one thats been in the garden for years. Just planted a white one with deep red / almost black blotches in the centre of the flower. Can't wait until that flowers. Next summer.

It's fairly invasive, and often considered a weed, but how about Aluminium plant? Tis what I've got growing down the sides of the drive in one area. Useful weed suppressant, doesn't travel into the paddock, copes with the dry, varigated foliage so looks a little interesting year round. Just not something for a small garden, and damn difficult to get rid of if planted in the wrong spot.

More
14 years 2 months ago #314900 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Plants for driveways?
Some of the prostrate coprosmas make for a good trailing ground cover. A bit of weeding while they establish but eventually dense enough to be relatively low maintenance.

Drop me a PM if you're interested in flax thinnings as we have plenty of them from time to time. All 'full size' varieties, some basic colour and some variegated :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 2 months ago #314911 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Plants for driveways?
As others have said, be careful you aren't creating a new problem to solve a problem...species that are fast growing, hardy, seed or spread easily can seem like a quick fix to cover areas like this, but make sure they aren't invasives that will cause you (and other people) more grief further along the track. Cotoneaster and aluminium plant are in that category, along with my beloved (NOT!) aggies [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 2 months ago #314955 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Plants for driveways?
Alternatives that are suggested to the invasive cotoneaster by Councils that are trying to eradicate it are
corokia cotoneaster
Shrub daisy (Brachyglottis greyi)
Taupata (Coprosma repens)

More
14 years 2 months ago #314956 by reggit
Further to hawkspur's info...

There are FREE regional 'Plant Me Instead' booklets available from Weedbusters for a variety of regions (Canterbury and Otago, Southland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Gisborne/Hawkes Bay and Nelson/Marlborough/West Coast) that give suggestions of species (native and non-native) that can be planted in place of weedy ornamental species - not exhaustive, but with a few good ideas for each species. You can get a copy by emailing a request to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 2 months ago #314965 by OakhengeFarm
Replied by OakhengeFarm on topic Plants for driveways?
Thanks Tigger, I picked up a copy of the Waikato one at a recent Fieldays - pity there isn't a Taranaki version.

It now looks like flax will be the one. And thanks Organix for your kind offer - I will PM you for details.

How will flaxes stand up to being less than a metre away from cows? I'm hoping that by the time they're big enough to interest the cows (and for them to reach them) that they will have enough foothold to resist being pulled out? I know the ones I planted on a different border (horse on the other side) is being regularly trimmed / nibbled from the back, with no harm to the actual plant.

I have a firm policy on this place that everything (animals and people included) must be multi-purpose, so just looking pretty is not enough. At least flax has a number of uses (worming animals, feeding native birds, weaving, weed suppression.) And doesn't require much maintenance once established. Hedges that need regular trimming, or roses that bite when you weed them are not on my list.

Perhaps I could break up the long lines of flax by using the coloured varieties, and adding a few extras like toetoe? How would that look?

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
14 years 2 months ago #314968 by reggit

OakhengeFarm;299992 wrote: Thanks Tigger, I picked up a copy of the Waikato one at a recent Fieldays - pity there isn't a Taranaki version.

Working on that, probably combined with Manawatu [;)] about a year away though...

OakhengeFarm;299992 wrote:
Perhaps I could break up the long lines of flax by using the coloured varieties, and adding a few extras like toetoe? How would that look?

I reckon mixed plantings always look good. How about a few cabbage trees to break up the height? Only thing is that if cattle can get to these they will wreck them, apparently they get quite sugary tasting at certain times of the year. And if you are going to be mowing any of these areas nearby the fallen leaves can be a pain. I still love them though and think they are worth the effort.

More
14 years 2 months ago #315080 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Plants for driveways?
Unless it is a tiny variety of flax, and some of them don't flower, it will soon get wider than 1 meter. Be careful that the tyres of the vehicles don't slip on the leaves when the weather is damp, or you will be over one bank or into the other.
With the width that you are contemplating you are going to have to trim the what-evers every month or so. If you must try something other than grass, I would plant tagasaste/tree lucerne. They are much more useful than flax, and much easier to remove.

More
3 years 2 months ago #553917 by EV
Replied by EV on topic Plants for driveways?
OakhengeFarm, very old topic, but I was looking for driveway plant ideas and this topic popped up. Curious as to how your driveway is going now all these years later?

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds