How do you introduce new chooks to an old flock?

More
15 years 6 months ago #14993 by Southland Sue
I have just purchased six one year old caged hens to add to my six hens and a rooster. The hens are brown shavers and last year when I tried to introduce 2 banties, the old bags killed one and I had to give the other back. I have segregated the hen house at this stage and have noticed them attacking each other through the netting. My old hens are free-range in the afternoons and I will eventually let the new hens out as well, but I don't want any more massacres! Any ideas will be greatfully recieved, thankyou.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #228917 by eelcat
welcome to the site SS. I have introduced two new small flocks to my original girls and not had difficulty either way I did it. The first time I introduced new hens I did it at night once the others were asleep. The second lot I kept in a cage during the first day in the run with others for a while, then I let the orginals out into the orchard and then let the newbies into the run. That night I let all back into the run and they all slept together. I then fed them togehter. For the next few days I kept the new girls in the run during the day with the others out. Mine were all the same size so there was I think, less likelihood of picking on smaller ones

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
15 years 6 months ago #229226 by Ferngreen
They find their own pecking order, so to speak. I think if you just introduce them slowly without a great deal of fuss. Just be ready to intervene if needed.

Life is not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain. author unknown.

More
15 years 5 months ago #230761 by celt
I'm with eelcat. I introduced two big mamma wyandottes to some very fiesty bantams that I inherited with the place. I put the wyandottes into a little run next door to the bantams so they could get used to each other without chance of argy bargy. Did this for about 3 days and then let them in together and all was well. A few handbags at dawn moments but no more than usual. I always do this when introducing new birds and it has always worked well. I think the key is to see each other at close quarters ie. through mesh, without chance of harmful contact. Hope helps.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

More
15 years 5 months ago #231314 by Dufangoer
A kindergarten pupil told his teacher he'd found a cat. She asked him if it was dead or alive."Dead," She was informed."How do you know?" she asked her pupil. "Because I pissed in its ear and it didn't move," answered the child innocently. "You did WHAT?!?" the teacher exclaimed in surprise. "You know," explained the boy, "I leaned over and went 'Pssst!' and it didn't move." cheap wow power leveling
buy eq2 plat , eq2 gold , everquest platinum , rs gold , silkroad gold ,

1-80 wow power leveling

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds