Customer service zero from theDicks at Smith Elect

More
15 years 3 months ago #9267 by witheze
My 8 month old P.C. has gone to Aussie? to have its board and battery replaced.I have been without it for 17 days and have been told it will be another week before it is back. I have just paid $80 pw to have a hire P.C. as my patience wore out, they originally said 10 working days, and would charge me to back up my stuff if required. I would NEVER deal with the above firm again for their customer service. {duty manager's flippant attitude.} And the huge wait to get thru to ACER, the service dept. is no joke either. Be warned [V][V] Both firms refused to give me a loan P.C. [V]I even paid $200 for an extended warranty too :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #148035 by Dream Weaver
Oh Mate, thats awful. brings back memories of long ago when we brought a computer from a place called Gateway. We had NO end of problems with it and they were based in Oz. In the end when we brought a new computer from another place our eldest son took the old dudd computer out and threw it off the deck. He told us he had been waiting to do that for a long long time and that it was such a good feeling, better than thearpy he reckoned Ha ha.

More
15 years 3 months ago #148047 by max2
Dick Smith sold out years ago to some Asian consortium who maintained the name as part of their business purchase right. Please don't think of it as being an Aussie company, cause it ain't...

More
15 years 3 months ago #148050 by wyseyes
Don't EVER think that Dicky Smith representatives are at all knowledgeable about non-sales of their stuff. They are only sales people, not fixits, repairs, replacements, help, service or even niceness. They know Nothing of quality or customer assurance,

I hope you got your data backed up before it left you, I very much doubt you'll see that data again. If it is away longer than they say, then ask nay Demand your money back. Then ask Grant or myself for help for buying a reliable new or tested computer ('tested' = used, but obviously not faulty computer at good prices).

My personal experience with acer computers has met with yours.

Oh, and don't buy extended warranties, even the consumer mag says they are a crock. The consumer goods act in NZ states the equipment sold should have a reasonable ability to do what it claims, without having to pay extra.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
15 years 3 months ago #148052 by grannie Mary
I think you are probably very lucky you do have an extended warranty, but that doesnt help you not having your PC. What does Consumer Quarantee Act say, (durable - last for a reasonable time )I think that over 3 weeks is not a reasonablt time, check it out...

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
15 years 3 months ago #148054 by judes
This company is well known for it really bad after sales service. My friend finally got a new laptop after 3 months waiting for hers to return but then they "lost" it. Beware of Harvey N as well, they have taken the after sales service inhouse and another friend took their pc back for software repairs. The pc was returned to my friend, literally, smashed and the people there then accused my friend of smashing the pc.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
15 years 3 months ago #148073 by reggit
We had similar problems with a camera that took almost 6 weeks to get back to us, it was only a few months old. I suggested that adding that 6 weeks on to the end of my warranty period would be reasonable, they almost laughed at me.

There are some good specialty computer shops around the place, I would never (now) use a general electrical appliance shop to buy one, there is a great one in Hamilton that I wholeheartedly recommend to people who build the computers to the specs that you need and are only fractionally more expensive - and their service is a whole lot better...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 3 months ago #148080 by beedee
How frustrating and awful.. I bought a gateway and it lasted 6 plus years before an electrical storm, blew it away and yes I did have a surge protector on.So never needed their services but certainly got good service on buying the thing and the sales rep gave his contact for me to ask any silly question to.. they ahd it all set up for me to just plug in( yes I know all shops should do that)
Meanwhile.. a word of warning..:D:D
dont eat anything with a powder on it, [like icing sugar,or 2 million probiotics] and read this forum, then laugh and then need to get the vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out of the keyboard.. I lost my tab key up the suckkymotorhose [thankgoodness it wasnt the lot]
now I have a wobbly tab key.. never realised how much I used it[V]
Ive been wary of those chain gang sell ya anything shops,, for anything that goes whirrrrl or bbbrrrrr over $200 and will pay more from a "real"shop[B)]

More
15 years 3 months ago #148096 by wyseyes
Quick, onto TM and do a search for a foldable rubber keyboard. Impervious to dust, water, coffee etc.just drop it into the sink once a month.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
15 years 3 months ago #148098 by beedee
ummm this is my laptop keyboard so a bit difficult unless I hitched the rubber one to it I guess..
then I probably have to get two since my cat loves helping me type..
Im not sure what he sees from the screen but at times gets very interested in it,and its only type, no games or videos

More
15 years 3 months ago #148115 by witheze
Ha beedee, my cats were confused, but have now sussed it, because two of them sprawl alongside the hot spot on the P.C. and the hire job has the hot spot on the other side
which is good because it means there isn't a cat lying all over the mouse!!!!!

More
15 years 3 months ago #148166 by Ghilly
Kim,, being a computer technician, has had to deal with D.S.
She spends a lot of time researching on the internet before she goes anywhere near a techy shop.
After weeks of making up her mind about a new phone, we both trotted into D.S. The sales person gave her a line of techy speak about using a Wdect? phone near a computer.... she'd been doing this with the old one her and in the UK with no problems whatsoever. The only reason we needed a new phone was because her cat Rivka pushed it off the desk and it broke. (and yes, you can visualise her doing this with a purpose and total determination on her face, she'd decided it was 'in her spot' so off it went).

Kim argued the point with the bloke and he got all snooty and muttered something about having to say it wasn't compatible with using near a PC. The then walked off.

A customer needed a new computer, she researched, found the one that would suit, gave the customer all the specifications and the numbers she needed to ask for. Kim went around to install it and found she'd been sold things she didn't want or need. Kim suggested she take it back and ask for what she wanted not what they thought she needed. They put up a fight over it and refused.

Now when she walks in there, most of the staff run and hide and I'm not kidding. We can walk in there and all of a sudden everyone in sight is busy and those that can't find a customer to show interest in disappear through the 'staff only' door. I've seen it happen!
There's one bloke in there though who is a gem. He will help with honest information and if it's not one of his areas of knowledge, he'll admit it and get someone who does.... supposedly. Well at least he doesn't stand there bleating out a line and pretending he knows.

He's a youngish chap, very tall and has a really calm disposition. I have no idea what he's talking about but he has a voice I could listen to him discuss computer parts with Kim for ages.

Kim only uses D.S because it's the closest shop and they generally have what she needs at a reasonable price, plus she can check out if they have the item in the local shop on-line, get the product number, go in and buy it.

Building a computer is different though, those bits are sourced in Auckland or in cyber land.

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds