Grant ,a moment of your time please

More
15 years 3 months ago #9048 by Brookdale
I have been looking at lap tops, I need something that the boys can take to their rooms when it is their turn for the hour on the computer, I need to use the desk top for my job. I see in the latest junk mailout that...A Compaq F503AU Notebook..AMD MK-36 (2.0Ghz), 512MB, 80GB.DVD-RW, 15.4" widescreen, windows vista home basic ..$1299.99...
Now I know I will need to put another 1g on so the boys can run their games, but what I want to know is...how can they sell the computer with Vista and only 512MB, I thought you couldn't run vista with anything under 1GB?? and if a computer has a celeron thingi does that impact on speed, or failer or anything??? I was told that a celeron run computer is said to be so many "whatevers" in speed but it equates to not much at all compared to th Pentium thingi.. am I making sense here????... should I buy the above computer???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #145534 by wyseyes
Be vewy vewy careful... vista is still in the experimental stages, and not at all proven to be stable. Microsoft didn't release it because the software was ready, they released it because their bank accounts were ready for the money. A lot of things still haven't got drivers which work with the new vista (eg printers).

If you want performance, then stop looking at celerons. Either a P4, Pentium M, Centrino or Dual-Core.

Personal experience and dealing with a lot of people bringing me computers to fix, I recommend to steer clear of HP and compaq (same thing now). Most batteries for these have failed within 12 months.

I recommend Dell and Toshiba, as I have had the least amount of trouble with these.

However, after all this, do you *really* need a laptop? Got a spare corner for another desktop computer? Recently I bought a full P4 2.8GHz, 1Gb Ram, 160Gb HD, DVD etc with 19" LCD monitor... $750. Noname brand, but the components are all named and reliable (Intel, seagate, creative, benq).

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
15 years 3 months ago #145538 by Brookdale

quote:Originally posted by wyseyes

Be vewy vewy careful... vista is still in the experimental stages, and not at all proven to be stable. Microsoft didn't release it because the software was ready, they released it because their bank accounts were ready for the money. A lot of things still haven't got drivers which work with the new vista (eg printers).

If you want performance, then stop looking at celerons. Either a P4, Pentium M, Centrino or Dual-Core.

Personal experience and dealing with a lot of people bringing me computers to fix, I recommend to steer clear of HP and compaq (same thing now). Most batteries for these have failed within 12 months.

I recommend Dell and Toshiba, as I have had the least amount of trouble with these.

However, after all this, do you *really* need a laptop? Got a spare corner for another desktop computer? Recently I bought a full P4 2.8GHz, 1Gb Ram, 160Gb HD, DVD etc with 19" LCD monitor... $750. Noname brand, but the components are all named and reliable (Intel, seagate, creative, benq).

Helpful advice, thank you, but I have more questions... I thought Dell had/used celeron? also I have a little house and an office I need to use for my work, the lap top seemed the easiest way for my three boys to share the computer in their own space...ie bedrooms, for the hour a day they use it. I will also be going into companies and downloading information, however a thumb drive is probably all I need there... I don't want to set up a computer in the lounge or dining room, I'm thinking a lap top is my only option.[?][?]

I have a 2005 HP pentium desk top computer and find it works well, the only problem I can't rectify and has been there since the start is a runner error. I googled it up but can't follow the instructions..[:I][:I]

More
15 years 3 months ago #145612 by Ypuk
Could you put the cheap desktop on a trolley arrangement, to wheel from bedroom to bedroom?? I've done that... worked well!

More
15 years 3 months ago #145615 by witheze
I'm taking my Acer back today, 7 months old. Loved it til it got cranky. So I'll be shut up for a while.

More
15 years 3 months ago #145616 by Kiwi303
Thats not a celeron to start with, AMD is a different company to Intel, and Celeron is an Intel Trademark for their cheap slow chips.

My NEC Versa M400 2.4Ghz P4 is a good, reasonably fast laptop, was top of the line a couple of years ago and is still well over some entry level models these days, and there was one on trademe thats relisted for $675. fit a pair of 512Mb RAM to replace the standard single 256 and it will do all your boys need it for. CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo. 27 Gb HDD will hold a LOT of music and games and a 15.1" TFT screen is perfectly adequate for games.

As you can see, you don't need a NEW computer to get good performance. just find a used High end computer from a few years back that is a LOT cheaper than a new low end computer. And has the same performance level :D

the only gripe I have with this comuter is that as a high performance machine the battery has to stand a high drain and only lasts 2 hours working hard, even with the CPU stepping down from 2.4 to 1.6 when the wall transpormer isn't plugged in. But if just reading a Document it'll last 4 to 5 hours at low drain and fewer CPU cycles.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 3 months ago #145620 by Brookdale
Ok, so I get a cheap desk top and put it on a trolly...seems like a good option... thanks all of you for your imput...

Hey Aunty Ypuk did you see I have sold the house??? and just this minute bought another on 2.5 acres in Oxford.... woohooo :D

More
15 years 3 months ago #145710 by GrantK
Hi Brookdale,

Sorry for the late reply, have been flat out with our business this week. I agree with Wyseyes and Ypuk who have suggested the desktop on the trolley arrangement. Inger and I have 3 kids who are all keen gamers and I can tell you that the Video Graphics circuitry in most laptops will not cope well with many of the current games. There is the occasional laptop around which will, but you won't buy it for $1299.

I would also agree with Wyseyes and don't buy a computer with Vista on it (not yet anyway). People I talk to are having too many problems with drivers for all sorts of hardware (printers, scanners etc). Wireless networking frequently doesn't work -- the list goes on...

I would suggest that you go to a PC retailer who has staff that are knowledgeable about gaming. You want a Video Card from either ATI or NVidia which has been produced within the past couple of years. You don't need the fastest by any means, but middle of the pack would be good. If you can afford it, go for a PC with Intel Core2 Duo processor. It will probably cost $200 or $300 extra, but the gaming performance is excellent.

A good Video Card with 19" monitor and 1GB of RAM are the essentials for gaming. A Core2 Duo processor is the icing on the cake. None of these things are that costly any more. I am guessing that you should be able to get it all for that $1299 you were looking at for the laptop, however it will perform HEAPS better for games!

If you can find out what sort of video card is on offer, I will run it by our gaming expert kids and see what they say.

Cheers,
Grant.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
15 years 3 months ago #145747 by Brookdale
Thank you Grant,
I've had some good replies and will heed the advice. I am probably able to buy the computer in the next couple of months, won't be for 6 weeks at least, I will get the info and check with you before I buy..:)

More
15 years 3 months ago #145778 by organicltd

quote:Originally posted by wyseyes

Be vewy vewy careful... vista is still in the experimental stages, and not at all proven to be stable. Microsoft didn't release it because the software was ready, they released it because their bank accounts were ready for the money.

the main reason for this release is because they are slowly loosing market share to apple. With all those ipods and macs being sold you PC people are being slooooooooowwwwwly dragged to the good side. There is nothing on vista, that is any good, that is not already up and running on my mac. I have a powerbook G4. It will do everything you need. The new intel chips enable macs to run PC games faster than on pc machines. Have a look at www.apple.com .

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

More
15 years 3 months ago #145861 by Ypuk
Yes I did, little Niece!!:D:D
...... NOW you just have to winkle the Bush-bashers outta the gorse, and have a party!

More
15 years 3 months ago #146290 by Brookdale

quote:Originally posted by Ypuk

Yes I did, little Niece!!:D:D
...... NOW you just have to winkle the Bush-bashers outta the gorse, and have a party!

I met up with the bush bashers at the fair.... was good to see them, have been meaning to tell you .....will do that tonight....

• maggies mum
15 years 3 months ago #146292 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Grant ,a moment of your time please
Will ya be in 'Chat'?

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds