LAP TOP trouble,advice please

More
15 years 4 months ago #8925 by witheze
My laptop which is still under guarantee is a......not running on its battery altho it seems to be charging. b. When I turn it on I get a FAT 32 warning about a disc displacement which I have been ignoring. ...c ... when I turn it off and get the option to turnoff or standby, when I ask it to turn off ,it frequently displays the hour glass and stops there, so I have to disconnect the power by unplugging. Should I take it back to Dick Smiths and be without it for up to two weeks or is it something easily fixed by someone knowledgable? Advice please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #143967 by kate
Replied by kate on topic LAP TOP trouble,advice please
I'd take it back. If the file allocation table is having a problem you may need a new hard drive. The whole thing sounds as if it's on the way out to me. Why be without it for 2 weeks - ask for a replacement.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
15 years 4 months ago #143968 by wyseyes
Yes, back to the shop. And you be firm with them, they will pull anything to avoid dealing with problem computers, as the staff are mostly sales oriented. Most don't even know their way around the average PC.

It actually sounds like it could be a dodgy motherboard, with the non-running on battery (power circuits), disk errors (data circuits), memory errors (hourglass on shutdown).

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
15 years 4 months ago #143970 by Kiwi303
get the warranty card, read it and make sure it says repair or replacement. and insist on replacement... a lemony computer will break down time and time again, and the lest time it fails, two days out of warranty tey'll stick their heels in and you may as well get another.

MUCH simpler to stick your heels in to start with and get another computer.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 4 months ago #144006 by witheze
I have rung Dick Smith to find when my warranty runs out, and explained the faults and the guy who said he knew a bit, asked me how much it had been defragged:( I said once, he said it needed doing once a fortnight [:0] And to bring it in and they would clean it up. It was defragged for the first time in the weekend by my neighbour.[:I] I'm sure noone defrags my office computer[?]

More
15 years 4 months ago #144020 by kate
Replied by kate on topic LAP TOP trouble,advice please
That's a perfect example of a sales guy who knows next to nothing about the technical side... I've never defrag-ed my laptop and I've had it for three years now. Defragging wont help the battery or much else. If you have a stuffed HDD then you want a new one, not a nicely sorted lemon.

Web Goddess

More
15 years 4 months ago #144049 by wyseyes
"and the guy who said he knew a bit,"

y'see, that's the problem right there... he only knows a bit. Just enough to make him dangerous. Most likely he got told by some friend who was shown by a student who just learned to defrag in a night class, probably in an attempt to get him to go away and stop bothering him.

OK, that's not kind, but would you trust your building extension to someone who just bought a new power drill for $18.93 at Bunnings, and "knows a bit"?

You should have asked him just what a defrag does, and compare the answer to what Kate and I can tell you it really does, and how it does it.

Backup all the data you want to keep (they won't have a show at doing that for you), take it in and demand a replacement/refund.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds