Finally some work done

More
14 years 9 months ago #889 by Ghilly
Yesterday I was going to get stuck in and clean out the goat shelter.
It rained.
Today I tackled it. Seven barrow loads into the vegetable garden.
Lime sprinkled about and left while I cleaned up the oustide area where it's been muddy and was covered with soggy smelly straw and hay they'd trampled out. I had to move all the 'brisges' I'd made out of bits of old door and planks and stuff. Cleaned it all away, another two or three barrow loads. Then against the wishes of my back. I got stuck into the smaller shelter. The back had bowed out with so many Fatty Arbuckles trying to jam themselves in and hay and straw had been pushed out. I managed to move the shelter over and started to clear the wodges of stuff from the back. Quite a lot had been squeezed out and was dry, so I collected up an armfull and toted it to the wheel barrow. 'Plonk' something fell out of the bundle. Awww it was a hedgehog. It was all balled up. I removed it to the small garden and it started to uncurl. It's since legged it so it must have been ok, just sleeping.
Under the shelter was a very very dead rat. Nowt left but skin and bones. I buried it.
Lo and behold what else did I find? About six eggs, those ratbag brown shavers had decided at some stage it was a good place to lay.
Dozy buggars.

It's all been sorted now. The small shelter was scraped out and hosed out and left tilted up to dry. Shavings are down in the big shelter and straw in the small one. The back board has more nails in it to hold it in place. I just have to waddle out and feed them all now.

One of the dogs has been accused of making rude smells..... from where I'm sitting, it could well be me. If I was a cartoon drawing, I reckon I'd have a wee cloud of flies buzzing around me. Well! You can't expect to smell like a rose when you've been mucking out big time.

The girls were locked in the back paddock to make the whole job easier. Cricket and Koru love to 'help'. It was bad enough dealing with busy chickens, six of them all 'helping'.
There were complaints flying over the gate at me from Koru and Cricket and the odd niggly bleat from Yakut.
When I finally opened the gate again, they were all down at the other end of the race. I called them and they came at a run, all except Athena who is feeling very uncomfortable with just two weeks (give or take a day) to go before she kids. She is massive!!! The darling was trying to hurry along the race, udder swinging wildly. Hopefully she'll settle herself in the shelter and have a nap.
I wouldn't be surprised if she has more than twins.

Pooh, I need a shower.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #52070 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Finally some work done
what a fulfilling day. I took the day off my real (paying) job and did the books for the (non-paying) business. Would ahev rather been outside though.
A good hot shower - you're earned it

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
14 years 9 months ago #52081 by The Kats Place
Hope you haven't overdone it, thats one of the problems with a tricky back - you get a good day and go like hell then pay for in the next few days - take care - pace yourself!

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 9 months ago #52096 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Finally some work done
I was Kats Place. Three wheelbarrow loads and I stopped for a glass of water and a bit of a rest, ten minutes or so, then back into it.

I still have last nights dishes to wade through, dinner is on, animals fed.

I think one important lesson I should remember is 'Don't tutu about with the electric fence when it's starting to get dark, no matter how quick you think you'll be. That bloke Murphy and his ruddy law will be hanging over the fence somewhere waiting to throw a spanner in the works.'

I'll have to sort it out properly tomorrow. I thought I'd just move it forward a bit..... yeah right. Not the way I do things. I need to sit down and nut it out first, keeping the animals out of one area but allowing them to get to other areas, plus keeping a hot wire set up for the trees that have been trying their best to grow. OI! It would be so much easier if I could stick up a permanant fence or even had more polywire and reels and standards but you gotta work with what you've got, just makes you think harder and return to the drawing board a few more times.

Yakut

More
14 years 9 months ago #52104 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Finally some work done
You are truely admired Yakut, for the way you put your heart and soul into everything you do. Your writing brings us all alot of joy and laughter. with the way you describe its almost like we are there with you.
Yes do be careful of that back. Maybe you should try and get one of those back support thingys to wear when you are doing stuff like that. Keep writing we enjoy each and every post.
Sleep well.

More
14 years 9 months ago #52111 by Ghilly
Thanks Smilie. Really, in the great scheme of it all, I get stuff all done. By the time I've woken up, and I don't mean got out of bed, I mean once I've wandered about for a while. I go feed the animals, then it's back inside for a cup of tea. The fatal mistake at this point is turning on the TV. I don't usually get going until about 2 or 3pm. The up side to that is I don't over do things. It also means I don't get much done. I also tend to put off doing things that will take a long time, I plan to do that tomorrow, you know, the day when I turn over a new leaf and get cracking early in the morning.

I tend to look at a clock, see the time, say 9am. Trouble is, I keep thinking it's 9am for a while and the next time I look, it's 9:45.

Some people can wake up, get up and get into it. I can do the wake up, get up bit but the 'getting into it' part... well that takes me a while. I find if I sit up in bed for a while I can get my head organised.

Today was an exception. Maybe I'll have another exception tomorrow, maybe I won't. I do need to sort out that ruddy fence though. It's not like it's a huge job... well it shouldn't be, I just have to think about it from all angles. Move one fence line down to fresh grass, move the other down to close off the area already been grazed and leave a race each side which can be closed off. Aaagghhh Macrame for the mind!

I also have to get the ute around to the garage. Kim thinks the solenoid has gone... or the battery cables..... How come it breaks down just after you've put some petrol in the tank! That buggar Murphy again.

Yakut

More
14 years 9 months ago #52116 by OakhengeFarm
Replied by OakhengeFarm on topic Finally some work done
My hubby maintains that to some people, waking up is a decision, to others it's a process. I and one son are in the "decision" group, but my husband and older son are definitely in the "process" group. At the required time in the morning, I make sure they are vertical and moving, but they don't wake up for another half hour at least! Sound like you are in this group too, Yakut.

At the other end of the day, the same applies. When I go to bed, I conk out pretty quick too - much to the annoyance of my hubby sometimes! (nudge, nudge!)

Another theory is that people are either Larks (earlybirds) or Owls (night birds). I'm definitely a lark. You must be an owl - do you stay up late normally? I tried to convince my hubby that he may wake up earlier if he'd occasionally get to bed by midnight, but he couldn't get his head around that one!

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
14 years 9 months ago #52158 by Ghilly
Definately an Owl! Yes it is a process. Getting 'up and at 'em' is a waste of time. My body is still in sleep mode no matter how much I try and get on with it. If I get up and get moving there's a really good chance I'll blunder on and make stupid mistakes. Eating breakfast is not an option either.
If I get up early and start getting on with things, I'll have about half an hour of morningitis where I just feel lousy, like I want to go and lie down, I feel sick.
Not much you can do about it though. No amount of 'hurrying up' by others will change things and breakfast doesn't help. I've sat with a mouthfull of marmite of toast and it may as well have been marmite flavoured sawdust.
It actually is more beneficial to just let me wake up properly, then I can get on with things, otherwise I'll dither for far longer than the time it takes me to wake up. Body chemicals are strange things. I believe this is what's the cause.

Yakut

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #52163 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Finally some work done
Mornings,[xx(][xx(][xx(] I have just started nightfill at the Warehouse and it suits me fine. At this stage, get home around 12.45. Towards Christmas they stack till all hours apparently. Now, that may be a bit too much. Picking up a few day shifts as well, filling in ones and so far haven't had to start at 8am.:D I reckon that now when people ask what I do for a living, I can say, "I'm in retail"[:X]

More
14 years 9 months ago #52206 by Dream Weaver
Yakut, you sound so much like me. I am definately an Owl, never been a morning person. wish i could be abit more of one but I have tried and failed, its just not me lol. I wake and fall back to sleep like I have been drugged. Hubby will bring me a cuppa bless him before he starts work at 7am. sometimes I will stay awake long enough to drink it, other times I wake to a nice thick skin on it and curse myself for not staying awake to drink it when it was hot. Its like I have no control over the irristable urge to shut my eyes again, infact it is an automatic thing. I get up finally, have a shower,another cuppa and try to remember to take my BP tablet, then TRY and get into it. Motivation is a thing I so need in the mornings. Its a shame because hubby is the opposite to me, he gets up early and goes to bed and BANG he has gone out to it, while I like awake listening to my radio through my headphones for hours. Maybe in a next life Yakut, we will be Larks ha ha

More
14 years 9 months ago #52249 by Ghilly
It took me THREE HOURS!!!! to set up two electric fences in the back paddock today!!! Half an hour of that was ripping the grass away from the bottom wire. I also moved the fence in the shelter paddock. I'm trying to break feed so when Athena has her babies, there will be grass aplenty.
I crawled inside at 3pm and got myself a cup of chlorinated tea (yuck) a wheatie bag and sat on the lazy boy steaming from the heat of the wheatie bag and the fact that the day was rather warm.
I gave up by about 4 and after mucking about for a few minutes I decided I needed to lie down. I had to wash dishes at my friends resturant at 6:30 so I thought just a wee rest might help. I woke up at 5:10, had a look at the clock with one eye open and then sat up with my feet on the floor. I had a bit of a crik in my neck so I lay back down again to un-crik it. The next time I looked at the clock it was 5:39..... Ooh eerr! Do you think I could get it together? I felt like I was walking up a slope, was almost at the top and walked into an area of scree, down I slid. Head full of old stuffing!

I was hot and bothered and felt like I'd taken a sleeping pill. Good grief! All the animals were fed, I got changed and charged a glass with one of those berrocca drinks. Was out the door by 6:15.

They're short of someone to do the lunch shift tomorrow so I have to do a split shift. Well, I don't have to, but this week everyone needs feed, the goats, the calf, the caged birds, the chooks and the turtles now they're out of hibernation. I also need hay, straw and a bale of wood shavings. They may have to wait until next week. Feed comes first.

I think this night Owl is going to have to roost earlier than usual tonight. I'm Kan-ackered. Eyes at half mast, brain not even 1/4 mast.

The radio drives me nuts, especially talkback. I resorted to getting audio books from the childrens section of the library. Not the littlies ones but the slightly older kids ones. I have Harry Potter read by Stephen Fry on tape and Indian in the cupboard read by the author, Lynne Reid banks as well. These are my own and I've listened to them that many times.... tape 1 of Harry Potter got chewed up in the tape deck. I find Stephen Fry has a nice voice to go to sleep by. That's the secret, having the right person narrating. You don't want someone with a voice you find irritating.

Yakut

More
14 years 9 months ago #52256 by Dream Weaver
Maybe a relaxation tape by someone like Louise Hay would help, she has quite a soothing voice.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds