Feeding Children

More
16 years 5 months ago #51913 by llamafarma
Replied by llamafarma on topic Feeding Children
www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/...l/26/tearaways.shtml

This show was fantastic as a teaching tool, some food issues turned out to be parental cleanliness issues (actually, all the issues came from the parents!)

2 Goats, 7 Chooks, 1 Cat 1 Dog, (RIP Jake) & 2 Kunekune's.......& a fabulous new rescue GSD,for now.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #51916 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic Feeding Children
I agree with Mike Collett.
lazy parenting!

give them what they want and let them eat in front of the tv. have as little contact as possible with your kids! grrr!
it is lazy parenting not to sit and eat togehther as a family and teach them how to eat and also to get a taste of all kind of healthy "normal" food.

bad habits lead to kids that only eat junk food.
in the mornings all kids gather in town to eat their first meal, chips and coke? when in school they either eat heaps of not healthy stuff that is advertised on tv as good snacks for the kids lunchbox or they eat at same place as they had their first meal, they get home and get money for fastfood dinners.
They grow up totally filled with toxic stuf and added color. They can't sit still in school and they behave bad and never listen and only communicate with their playstation and don't have a clue about what is happening around hem. later we can read about them or hear about them on news on tv and their parents that give interviews and tell that their little Johnathan would never have driven his car in to the crowd or stabbed someone.

kids are to eat together with their parents and eat normal food!

More
16 years 5 months ago #51921 by Nancy F
Replied by Nancy F on topic Feeding Children
we have food issues in our house.. have had them with both kids but the older one has now come through that and is a pleasant eater now.. but.. the little one... gggrrrr... perfect example yesterday when she started performing when she discovered what we were making for lunch and continued on getting more and more snotty and revolting until we were just about finished eating.. she then realised we were completely ignoring her, went to the kitchen, got a bowl, served herself the 'revolting' food and ate it... ;)

we are making big inroads into her horrible eating habbits by insisting she tries one piece of everything on her plate and giving her nothing as an alternative.... when she's hungry enuf she'll give in...

I don't believe in different foods for kids once they are on solids... too much hassle... but you will be surprised with the friends kid.. bet you anything he eats what you serve him.. they are always better away from home....

I will only make the exception with a proven allergy and then we will all eat the same allergy free food...

Nancy

More
16 years 5 months ago #51926 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Feeding Children
Initially because I wanted my daughters friends and cousins to think of their stays with us as pleasant and welcoming, I found they were quick (if given the opportunity) to tell me what they will and won't eat.
So I don't give them that opportunity anymore because we are not a restaurant (meaning we don't multi service a variety of meals at the one sitting).

We just had our 10 year niece here, she hadn't eaten anything the afternoon we picked her up at the airport because "I ate heaps of junk this week[:0] (whilst away)" so in the morning I said well what have you had to eat in the last 12 hours? Nothing she said.

On the way home she was discussing how wonderful a size 6 lady looked [}:)] and how she used to be chubby etc. So I know where her head is going at the moment....

Anyhow I said well you are getting an egg like the rest of us with breakfast this morning... she ate her breakfast (as I knew she would) but would have gone hungry until hitting Maccas down the motorway later on.....[}:)] then not had any dinner either because of getting junk for lunch [:0].

You get to know the bluffs.... and how they operate.

Basically if it contravenes your own family beliefs and practices, then don't do it, or do it so the visiting child knows they must comply to a reasonable degree with what is on your table.

For instance, not everyone likes carrots so I might not serve carrots on one person's plate, but sure enough another vegetable option will be getting served anyhow, so the opportunity arises to trade off with a bit more of that, whilst still getting good food into the kid.
If they don't like that, well, take a pick of the choices, use tomato sauce if they have to, but they are getting either this or this 'cause this is what we are eating tonight at our family table.

If they don't like it at your house because you are too bossy with manners and food, they won't be back to stay anyhow.

More
16 years 5 months ago #51927 by ardnas
Replied by ardnas on topic Feeding Children
I would never force my kids to eat something they genuinely don't like the taste of. I remember as a child not liking the taste of various things and as I became older (and my tastebuds changed)upon trying these foods again I found I liked them.

Often it is the way something is cooked. I remember as a child my mother would boil cabbage to death and I absolutely hated the taste of it, but I was happy to eat it raw. My kids are similar. They are not keen on cooked vegetables whether they are steamed, stirfried or roasted; but they will eat them raw with something like hummus as a dip. So I often leave theirs to the side and cook ours.

We too have the rule in our house that they must try something before passing judgement on it.

As far as junk food goes, they have never really had much of it, esp. at home (mainly at birthday parties and when out) so we don't have the problem of them only wanting to eat that type of stuff.

More
16 years 5 months ago #51930 by clowder
Replied by clowder on topic Feeding Children
"Green eggs and ham" has to be the best book for fussy eaters...how can you not like some food if never tasted...cooked this way!
keep it fun.
it has now become a saying in our household when someone refuses food not tried before.
and always gets them laughing and eating.

More
16 years 5 months ago #51933 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Feeding Children
My cousin visited from England with her two young boys. I took them a couple of Aruacana eggs each for their breakfast, they were GREEN EGGS!!!! Wooo hoooo!
The next morning, they were cooked scrambled eggs. Tears, wailings of disapointment, the eggs weren't green. The next morning, green food colouring was added to the scrambled eggs. "Euuuw I don't want them, they're green".

About a week later, the eldest one (He was about 4 or so at the time) came to spend the night at our place. In the morning he wanted scrambled eggs. He saw the green shelled eggs, I broke them open and cooked him breakfast. He ate the lot, then asked for more.

Apparently, he liked the way I cooked them better than the way his mum cooked them. (As far as I know, there was no major difference, Scrambled eggs are scrambled eggs.)

They wouldn't eat spaghetti if it had sauce on it, it was just the noodles and some cheese grated over.
The youngest, before he'd mastered the art of speech, approached his Nanna, pointed at her jam on toast and said "Dirtyyyyyy". Nanna offered him some, he screwed his nose up and ran away, then he came back and had another look. Another offer was accepted and he ate a tiny bit. Kids are strange.

Yakut

More
16 years 5 months ago #51934 by llamafarma
Replied by llamafarma on topic Feeding Children
Sleeping is the same, we got into a rut of timing Mini LF's sleep around driving somewhere, so getting him to sleep in bed during the day was nigh on impossible (straight to sleep in the evening mostly!!) but he would sleep in a bed in daycare no problem!!!

Our fault completley, thankfully the day time sleeps are just passing!!!

2 Goats, 7 Chooks, 1 Cat 1 Dog, (RIP Jake) & 2 Kunekune's.......& a fabulous new rescue GSD,for now.......

More
16 years 5 months ago #51936 by Celtic_Kiwi
Replied by Celtic_Kiwi on topic Feeding Children
Ardnas !!!!

When my older son was a toddler, he would go to the fridge and eat raw brocoli and cauliflower and call it trees. He is currently a vegetarian, and that is interesting.

Foxwell, may I e-mail you direct and ensure he is getting a balanced diet?

Celtic_Kiwi
AKA Nikki

Tir Na NOg

More
16 years 5 months ago #51961 by Ghilly
Ardnas, Kim found a website the other day, it had a whol heap of photos on it of 'famous' people although I only recognised a couple. They were your generic 'beautiful people' Cameron Diaz was one of them. When you passed the cursor over the photo, it showed you what they actually looked like in the photo, then when you removed the cursor they went back to the image you'd see in the magazine.
OMG!!! They'd had their skin cleared, their figures reduced in some places and enhanced in others, wrinkles around the mouth, eyes and neck were gone and make-up added to. They looked nothing like the real them, the pose was the same but their whole look was glamourised to the last eyelash. Pock marks were gone, blemishes gone, one bloke had a really red blotch on his nose, that had been removed, pimples gone, moles, gone. Talk about airbrushed! Some had their boobs enhanced and their bums reduced, others had their arms enhanced and shaped, calves were shaped, you name it! It was computerized nip, tuck. These are the photos the impressionable people see and want to be more like. Cameron Diaz was actually plumped out at certain points to hide the protruding bones, some other woman had had the same done to her collar bones. In reality, she looked awful with a very pronounced collar bone across from shoulder to shoulder.
You can't have the sort of figure they are going for and keep your bones covered at the same time. If you want a wasp waist, hip bones will show, altering the image on screen to keep them skinny yet hide the bones jutting out is giving a false image. Agghhhh!

It's scary when a 10 year old is worrying about her figure and not eating because she's had junk food.
For me, at 10, a diet was something my Aunt was going to start tomorrow.

Yakut

More
16 years 5 months ago #51962 by Ghilly
Ardnas, Kim found a website the other day, it had a whol heap of photos on it of 'famous' people although I only recognised a couple. They were your generic 'beautiful people' Cameron Diaz was one of them. When you passed the cursor over the photo, it showed you what they actually looked like in the photo, then when you removed the cursor they went back to the image you'd see in the magazine.
OMG!!! They'd had their skin cleared, their figures reduced in some places and enhanced in others, wrinkles around the mouth, eyes and neck were gone and make-up added to. They looked nothing like the real them, the pose was the same but their whole look was glamourised to the last eyelash. Pock marks were gone, blemishes gone, one bloke had a really red blotch on his nose, that had been removed, pimples gone, moles, gone. Talk about airbrushed! Some had their boobs enhanced and their bums reduced, others had their arms enhanced and shaped, calves were shaped, you name it! It was computerized nip, tuck. These are the photos the impressionable people see and want to be more like. Cameron Diaz was actually plumped out at certain points to hide the protruding bones, some other woman had had the same done to her collar bones. In reality, she looked awful with a very pronounced collar bone across from shoulder to shoulder.
You can't have the sort of figure they are going for and keep your bones covered at the same time. If you want a wasp waist, hip bones will show, altering the image on screen to keep them skinny yet hide the bones jutting out is giving a false image. Agghhhh!

It's scary when a 10 year old is worrying about her figure and not eating because she's had junk food.
For me, at 10, a diet was something my Aunt was going to start tomorrow.

Yakut

More
16 years 5 months ago #52003 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Feeding Children
Coming in late (as usual) ... but my 2 cents worth ...

In *my* house we at least try the food put in front of us. If it were me having a child with eating issues staying (and, I have a friend who visits reasonably frequently and one of hers has issues) then the house rules are spelt out at various times (ie, before a meal). You must at least try what is in front of you (oh, and if you dish it up yourself you must eat all of it; they can always go back for seconds or thirds if they only dish up a little bit and like it). If you've asked for it and don't eat it, there's nothing else until the next meal/snack time. This, IMHO, is a biggie. If you say nothing more, please mean it.

I am thankful - my kids eat pretty much anything. DS takes olives in his lunch box to school (!), aioli and carrot sticks to dip, pate is good for boosting iron, V8 juice is a treat, broccoli and blue cheese soup and absolute favourite.

Having said that, for years DS used to eat the mushrooms raw as quick as I cld prepare them. Then, he went to school and decided (or heard s/one else say) he didn't like mushrooms. We still hide them :D and get away with it. It's not that he doesn't like them, I think he think he thinks he shldn't like them, for whatever reason. {sigh}

oskatd, you may want to just say in a quiet voice to the parent/s before your son's friend comes to stay that 'in my house the kid/s eat what we eat, when we eat. I don't make special meals. Will that be ok?'

Oh, and if it's not for a long stay, perhaps you cld just make it 'special'. Green eggs (aracuna???) and ham which the kids help you prepare, for dinner. Picnic bits and pieces out on the trampoline or in the sandpit. Barbeque one night. Home made pizza (made by the kids) another. I dunno ...

Anyhoo, hope this helps.

More
16 years 5 months ago #52006 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Feeding Children
I was a bit surprised too Yakut yet I was the only one to pick up the thread from the few conversations that she made. The rest of the time she remained very quiet (Hubby says sulky) and her mum said the next day she was sure that she was going into puberty and attitude early... yet she isn't a clothes horse type of kid either.

(definately attitude, I caught her walking away from her mum calling at one point, told her to get her bee hind back upstairs and not to ignore mum when she is calling). Yeah I am a tough bag for an Aunty.!

I am a big believer though that poor (junk) food affects personality and behaviour. It was at the field days in June that we were walking out of one of the display areas and a mum was yelling at her toddler/junior to behave and settle down, the fact that he had a near empty fanta bottle in his hand amused me. She obviously hadn't made the connection at all.

This might interest some:

www.additivealert.com.au/

More
16 years 5 months ago #52097 by AdoubleJ
Replied by AdoubleJ on topic Feeding Children
I can remember when I was (much) younger going to stay at a 'friends' place for a couple of days. The rule in their house was that you had to have a bit of everything on your plate and you had to eat it all or you got it back cold at the next meal.....
They served up brussel sprouts.......[:I] [xx(] If there is one thing I cannot stand - it is brussel sprouts!!! I couldn't eat them so left them, thinking 'well I am a guest surely they won't.......', but they did! I told them that if I even tried to eat them I would throw up, they didn't believe me....so......YUP BUCKET PLEASE!!!!! Itis etched in my memory for life :D

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
16 years 5 months ago #52098 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Feeding Children

quote:Originally posted by AdoubleJ

I told them that if I even tried to eat them I would throw up, they didn't believe me....so......YUP BUCKET PLEASE!!!!! Itis etched in my memory for life :D

Fish pie at Brownie camp [xx(] exactly the same, how embarassing. But brussel sprouts I would have eaten by the bucketful if I could have!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds