Dairy product prices rise - and now bread etc too

More
16 years 7 months ago #51981 by Nancy F
so much for keeping kids on good food.. off the fizzy and onto milk or water... with the dairy prices on the up our dairy bill is going to be horrific.. we go through about 8-10 litres of milk a week, several pounds of butter (mainly in baking), a block of cheese, yoghurt, sometimes sour cream / cream / cream cheese as well... hate to think what the bill will be now... the milking cow is looking more and more likely...

don't envy people with larger families than our little four members.. not easy..

Nancy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #51987 by oskatd
I buy our cheese when it's on special too, although I find slap and slave doesn't have it on special much these days.... We only eat tasty, which is more expensive too. Consumer did a report on cheese and apparently the budget tasty is one of the better ones in the taste test!

Water is still pretty affordable Nancy!

More
16 years 7 months ago #51995 by Prim
And, you can successfully freeze cheese. I guess you can freeze blocks (I don't actually know about that) but I always ensure I have grated cheese in the freezer.

So, I either buy it in bulk when school is making cheese rolls (you NIers won't know what they are ;) ) or I buy cheese only when on special and if it's surplus just then (not for very long in our house ... it is also a staple here) I will grate it and freeze it. Goes into most things direct from frozen.

Beedee, um, how do you make cottage cheese? Thank [:I]

More
16 years 7 months ago #52032 by beedee
Prim. .. I vaguely remember that it gets warmed by sitting in a pan of hot water.. that is the litre of milk, then sumfink like lemon juice is added and it curdles so the water is then drained away and the curd kept and chopped up and into the fridge.. I think that simple method lasts say 3-4 days..
I will be contacting all my "friends"and IF I can stay on long enough searching uncle Goooogle.

More
16 years 7 months ago #52087 by spoook

More
16 years 7 months ago #52432 by reggit
Ouch. Just checked prices at supermarket, the brand we usually get is $11+ a 1kg block [xx(], so we are trying the plain pack brand ($3 cheaper). Some of the plain packs of other stuff is really nice, some is crap, so will be interesting to see how this compares with what we are used to.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
16 years 7 months ago #52824 by Hobbo007
The farmers have no say in how the company is run? Suppliers are the shareholders have voting rights and appoint directors - quite o the contrary they very much have control of the company. And with the record payout how many famers are complaining? Very few. In a globalised market Fonterra must act in the best interest of its shaholders and sell to the market that maximises sharholder wealth - and if that market is offshore and if that market is paying more than the domestic market it is only right that domestic consmers pay a rate equal to that of the other customer. Its called opporturnity cost

More
16 years 6 months ago #53394 by reggit
Now bread and other grain-based products are going to get hit, 20% by the look of it...

www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10465347

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds