Dairy product prices rise - and now bread etc too

More
14 years 9 months ago #873 by reggit
Hubby says he heard on the radio today that dairy product prices - butter and cheese in particular - are going up 40%? [:0] Someone please tell me he's heard it wrong?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #51788 by Ronney
No he didn't. Well somebody has to pay for the increased payout don't they and it won't be just those that import our products. So get rid of those Wiltshires and get a couple of East Friesians:)

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 9 months ago #51806 by spoook

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 9 months ago #51807 by reggit
From that article:

"Dairy prices in New Zealand supermarkets are at the mercy of changes in international commodities because Fonterra – which controls more than 90 per cent of the nation's milkflows – exports most of its milk.

Inside Fonterra, the processing plants producing branded foods have to match export prices to obtain their share of the milk."

The joy of market forces - we get to pay the same price as overseas markets...and Fonterra virtually operating a monopoly now doesn't help :(

I don't know the ins and outs of it, but I thought there were regulations to stop monopoly situations like this? I know that there are other situations where two companies have not been permitted to merge because it would create a monopoly...why does this not apply here also? Anyone know?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #51809 by Isla
Right, definitely milking my Angus house-cow! :D

More
14 years 9 months ago #51810 by Ronney
On the radio news this morning Fonterra are said to be pushing the price of butter up by 23%, which will make it around $2.50 per 500grms. It didn't give any other details.

Tigger I don't understand these things either and don't follow them but do remember thinking at the time farmers voted to go with Fonterra, that both the farmer and the public were going to be losers. Farmers might have shares but they are a voice in the wilderness of big business and they have lost the ability to have a say in the running of their dairy company which they did in the past when every district had it's own co-operative.

Isla, I suspect you won't be on your own.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 9 months ago #51814 by Prim
No, you won't be alone milking ... and I have a cheese-making course lined up for Dunnos mid-October. Can't wait. Have friends with milking goats, and hopefully able to obtain/buy some sheep milk locally-ish too, so hope to have a good selection of cheese sometime soon :)

More
14 years 9 months ago #51815 by Isla

quote:Originally posted by Ronney

Isla, I suspect you won't be on your own.

Good, because I'll probably need some help to milk a herd of Angus cows. :D

More
14 years 9 months ago #51843 by spoook
I do not buy butter but had a look at the prices, they were all over $2.50 already. Did I miss something or has the shop got in early. Some was on special at $1.96, I was tempted but as I bent to pick it up I thought of my hips and bum and walked away. Plus I save the money.:D

** please don't lecture me on butter against marg and all the additives........ I'm looking in to it.***

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 9 months ago #51882 by Dream Weaver
We use only butter in this house. They also said cheese will go up in price and now all cafes etc will have to put their prices up to.

More
14 years 9 months ago #51973 by beedee
From my meander down the brightly lit cabinets.. cheese has gone up over $3/k in the past couple of months.. it used to be about $8 full price and now up to $12 or at one store $14/k.
Isla, surely Isla will allow a milking or two[8D]
I am aiming to learn the Iraqii way of making goats cheese, once the goats have kidded.. having been offered the "lecture" as long as it doesnt include running thro the desert with a leather bag over my shoulder away from the bang sticks, to mix it all :p
the one thing I do know from having experienced a friend making it years ago is that the utensils have to be scrupulously CLEAN, else ones tastes buds soon alert any contamination.
Can see I shall have to grow some chives for cottage cheese and chives..
Now is the time for some good recipes and methods to be shared.. poor hens while I practice

More
14 years 9 months ago #51974 by Isla
Beedee, Isla's an old baggage and will only allow a few squirts. She's not due to calve until mid-November, either!

More
14 years 9 months ago #51976 by reggit

quote:Originally posted by beedee

From my meander down the brightly lit cabinets.. cheese has gone up over $3/k in the past couple of months.. it used to be about $8 full price and now up to $12 or at one store $14/k.

Ouch [xx(] cheese is a staple in our house, for both hubby and I. We both make our own lunches and it is always something or other sandwiches etc with cheese as the base...

More
14 years 9 months ago #51977 by Isla
Processed cheese has a shelf-life in the fridge, if unopened from its vaccuum plastic, of several months, if you look. When it's on special at three or four dollars beneath usual price, we buy in bulk.

More
14 years 9 months ago #51978 by reggit
Good thinking, I hadn't realised re the shelf life.

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds