Internet suppliers

More
14 years 9 months ago #835 by sky
Internet suppliers was created by sky
Does anyone live in the West Eyreton area of Canterbury and have wireless internet connection without a land line or anything to do with Telecom at all.
Could anyone recomment a supplier and also does anyone have any idea of set up costs and monthly cost for broadband this way.
I've tried Whoosh and Scorch but they don't cover the West Eyreton area.
Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers :)

Canterbury

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #51125 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Internet suppliers
According to Kordia's coverage checker:

City/District ---- Town/Suburb ---- Coverage
Christchurch
Eyreton West
Excellent

So it shouldn't be any problem at all.

If you want to sign up right now, Farmside would be your best option, but if you can wait a few weeks, Xnet Xtencity will be the best bet as a phone service will be included:

www.xnet.co.nz/xtencity/

Better still, you can port your existing Telecom number over to this service. We have been Telecom-free for about 18 months now by using this service.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 9 months ago #51172 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Internet suppliers
I just had a look at farmside, and it seems pretty expensive to me.... $129/month for a similar speed and download that I get with telstra for $25/month! Or am i missing something?

More
14 years 9 months ago #51179 by sky
Replied by sky on topic Internet suppliers
Thanks for that Grant I've submitted a form for xtencity.

Just the fact that I won't have to have anything to do with Telecom will be worth it lol

Canterbury

More
14 years 9 months ago #51195 by llamafarma
Replied by llamafarma on topic Internet suppliers

quote:Originally posted by oskatd

I just had a look at farmside, and it seems pretty expensive to me.... $129/month for a similar speed and download that I get with telstra for $25/month! Or am i missing something?

Is it because its wireless?? Farmside are giving $50 to a local school if you sign up to them.

2 Goats, 7 Chooks, 1 Cat 1 Dog, (RIP Jake) & 2 Kunekune's.......& a fabulous new rescue GSD,for now.......

More
14 years 9 months ago #51205 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by llamafarma

Is it because its wireless??

Yes, exactly. There are still many areas where wired (ADSL) broadband does not reach so wireless of some sort is your only option. Of course, this is always going to be more expensive than ADSL, but in my experience with the Kordia variety, it is also much more reliable.

More
14 years 9 months ago #51278 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by sky

Thanks for that Grant I've submitted a form for xtencity.

Hello again Sky :)

I've just heard from the Operations Manager at Xnet and he says that the first few customers are being connected to Xtencity in the next few days, once each of their installations is completed.

They are doing a "soft launch" with a few selected customers just to prove that the internal systems and processes are working correctly. Once that is sorted out, they will start the roll-out in earnest.

I don't have an exact date for this, but I am picking within the next month at most.

More
14 years 9 months ago #51669 by pkb
Replied by pkb on topic Internet suppliers
Hi Grant

Is there some place where I can figure out which companies are selling the Kordia wireless service? I had thought Orcon might, but it doesn't look like they do.

Thanks, Tricia

More
14 years 9 months ago #51675 by pkb
Sorry, answering my own question after a better web search:

Where can I buy Extend?

You can only buy Extend through one of these internet service providers. They'll be able to answer all your questions-and get you up-and-running on the Kordiaâ„¢ network:

Bush Wireless - 09 533 6470
Compass - 0800 640 640
Farmside - 0800 FARMSIDE (0800 32 76 74)
Iconz - 0800 THE NET
Inspire Net - 0800 4 THE NET
NetSmart - 0800 NETSMART (0800 638 762)
NetSpeed - 0800 NETSPEED (0800 638 773)
Xtra Wireless - 0800 555 077
N.B:

Some ISPs offer Kordia's broadband services under their own name or brand. As an example, Xtra Wireless is a Kordiaâ„¢ Extend broadband service.

More
14 years 9 months ago #51754 by GrantK
Hi Tricia,

The list you have posted above is well out-of-date by now. It hasn't changed in the past couple of years in fact! Kordia don't seem to be very good at keeping it updated.

After looking for a web site for Bush Wireless I found they didn't have one! NetSmart and Net Speed last time I looked made no mention of the Kordia Wireless service at all, so I would have to ask how serious any of these companies are about offering the service.

In contrast -- Xnet aren't mentioned and yet they ARE actively promoting Kordia Extend, in fact more so than any of the other players in my opinion. Xnet's Operations Manager has told me I should be connected in the next few days because my case is a "Churn" i.e. switching from one provider to another.

I'll post back to this thread once I'm connected and let you know how it worked out.

More
14 years 9 months ago #52027 by pkb
Thanks for that information!

Do you have any opinion on ICONZ? I just asked them about Extend wireless, and they have offered me a special promotion - installation costs of just $140 (usually $1000 equipment and $499 installation) and then a 5GB 1Mb/340kb 24 month contract for $80/month. That is such a better deal than what they still have posted on their website that I am almost suspicious. Is something big about to happen in the NZ wireless internet world? And why 340kb upload? That seems an odd number...

Any information about your Xnet progress would be welcome...do they offer a plan without the voice over ip component?

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds