I have taken leave of my senses - teaching

More
16 years 9 months ago #806 by Louise W
I am mid way through my final teaching placement at present. It has been tough going and today there were tears and, yes, they were mine. I am half way through a unit with a Y11 English class doing Level 1 NCEA. We're doing poetry and I have bent over backwards to try and create a unit that is fun and interactive but the little ****s don't give a damn and it is very demoralising. Today's lesson was the pits and it was the first that I had really looked forward to teaching but they completely trashed it and all my ideas. Would they listen to instructions? No! Would they do as they were asked? No! Would they shut up when I was talking to them? No! In the end, whilst I had them working through a task in pairs, I went around and one by one I got in their faces to extract SOMETHING relative to the topic out of them.

I was shaking at the end, I was so freakin angry and upset - the tears did not come until another teacher asked me if I was ok, then they flowed. I just cannot believe how rude and obnoxious they were yet I don't know why I am surprised as I have seen them in action before.

Right now all I can say is that had I know JUST what the classroom is like these days, I would've never embarked upon this roller coaster ride as I just don't see why the stress is worth it when so many of them could not give a stuff about school or the feelings of anyone other than their selfish, hormonal teenage selves! They have no clue how many hours I have put into these lessons and how much thought I have given to their needs as learners - not a clue and they don't care. Such is the nature of the teenage beast, not a beast I think I am really all that interested in trying to tame any more.

Sorry, that was a rant! Tomorrow is another day but getting out of bed is going to be even harder tomorrow morning.

Thanks for listening :)

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #50689 by reggit
Oh Lou :( sorry to hear that it's gone that badly.

Is that the only class group you teach, or just one of two or three? Are the others better?

A good friend of mine is just doing her 7 week practicum for teaching but luckily has been placed in a school where the kids are quite good. She is exhausted with all the preparation...after all that, it must be so devastating when they are like you describe...

Are they a particularly obnoxious bunch in general?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• Toni - Northland
16 years 9 months ago #50690 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic I have taken leave of my senses - teaching
Well, I don't know how anyone does it really. I just could not, I would lose my rag. They are probably not taught respect at home.

More
16 years 9 months ago #50691 by Kiwismum
Sorry you had such a hard day, but you are right - it is the nature of the teenage beast, and they don't care, remember the developmental lessons in your training.

Also remember that you can't get much out of them before lunch;)

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

• maggies mum
16 years 9 months ago #50692 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic I have taken leave of my senses - teaching
Hit them where it's hurts Louise, set them heaps of homework, and they get detention of they don't complete it!

Hey if you touch just one person in your class a day you've achieved a great thing!

More
16 years 9 months ago #50693 by Louise W
Thanks guys.

I do have other classes and they are ok and I start a new Unit with the Y10 Soc Stud class on Friday - this is the only Y11 and I have only ever seen their teacher go through an exam paper with them and then I was in teaching so, I am having to get to know them as I go. The Y13s are great and the 9's and 10's so far so good although rather 'distracted' some of them. I have timetable clashes so on top of everything I also have to figure out how to teach a couple of units where I am rostered to teach two classes at the same time - No pressure or anything. Associates are great but too busy to give me the time I really need and I am conscious of getting in the way, monopolising their precious time. At this stage in the whole procedure I am just switching to survival mode!

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

• Toni - Northland
16 years 9 months ago #50694 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic I have taken leave of my senses - teaching
Hey, I just had a remember. I was one of 'those' kids.[:I][:I][:I]

More
16 years 9 months ago #50695 by Birman Babe
Lol Toni - me as well!
I spent more time out of the classroom than it it at around 14 years of age. And now I'm a perfect Angel :-)
Must say, my parents were quite strict with me but I was a teenager from hell.

More
16 years 9 months ago #50696 by reggit
Do you think they are just testing you as the newby, Louise?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
16 years 9 months ago #50697 by maggies mum
I was a good gal I was......mind you I did get told orf a lot for talking! Can you believe it!!!

Why the very idea!

More
16 years 9 months ago #50698 by witheze
On the bright side.......I work on a hospital switchboard and when the moon's full, the mental health patients give me, and everyone else I presume,... hell! Last weekend was really bad, I've just been out and can't see the moon at the moment but it may be the reason for the bad behaviour. I'm serious by the way.! Hope things get better, don't let them demoralise you, even, as someone else said, you get through to just one, you've achieved!

• maggies mum
16 years 9 months ago #50699 by maggies mum
Where do you think the word lunatic comes from!!! ;)

The moon causes tides to turn and the human body is made of 75% water, so its feasible it will affect many people!

More
16 years 9 months ago #50701 by reggit
And if you are in Canterbury you also get the nutters affected by the nor'westers [}:)]

More
16 years 9 months ago #50702 by Jan
Lou can I ask which school you are teaching at the moment?

Hang in there Lou...there are good classes and bad classes, unfortunately you hit a bad class. Im sure they won't be all like that. You could always go primary???

Jan

More
16 years 9 months ago #50703 by ronnie
Witheze, having worked in the mental health sector, I fully appreciate your comments;)

I have been tempted to work on the local hospital switchboard of late, but its just too far away for the hours they were offering (22 per fortnight and bound to be the night shift).

Am considering working in a local bottle store instead[:I] To WORK that is - MM I can just see your thoughts from here[}:)]

Am currently working in sales in an industry I knew nothing about until 3 months ago and NOT enjoying it at all.

Gave serious thought to teaching on many occasions, but upon remembering very unfondly my school days, would wonder why anyone would knowingly put themselves thru that hell.

But I do hope the rest of your placement goes well for you Lou, I know you have worked hard toward the end goal - good luck.

Cheers
Jan

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds