Computer cleanup ?

More
14 years 10 months ago #754 by Midge
Computer cleanup ? was created by Midge
I'm thinking of having a computer technician come to my home to do a general examination of my pc to make sure it's running as best as it can. I would also like to have more ram added to the present 256 MB of ram.

This morning I phoned a few business to get an idea of the cost of this and am left mindboggled. One gave a quote of $400 for pc clean up, plus $40 for another 256 of Ram, plus $50 mileage.

Another $50 mileage (which is fair enough) and $40 per hour, couldn't give me an estimate for installation of more ram till they see the pc.

I have very few personal files but hundreds of photos on my pc.

Have any of you had work like this done and been happy with the results and charges[?] Like to share your experiences[?]
Cheers
Midge

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #50049 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Computer cleanup ?
Hi Midge,

RAM is quite easy to install as long as you carefull. Just google "installing new RAM". New RAM needs to be compatable with your other Ram and computer.

All your photos should be grouped in files and the files under a file say "MyPictures"

If you have any old programs you don,t use remove them and then

Download "RogueRemover Free", "Spybot search & destroy" & "CCleaner"

Just Google them and you will find them. They are free. Run them in this order RogueRemover then Spybot Then CCleaner. Do you run an up to date Anti virus program such as AVG or Avast, I use avast. Use the above programs every week or two.

After the clean up Defrag your disc.

That is all you really need to do to clean up your computer.:D

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
14 years 10 months ago #50050 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Computer cleanup ?
If you go to controll panel, internet options, click delete cookies, delete files (tick offline content thingy) clear history and reset amount of days you want to keep your history if you want. Then go to program files, assessories, system tools, then, disc clean-up (if you want) then defrag. PC should then be as clean as you want it without deleting any files, unless of course you want to delete files.
Sorry don't know anything about adding ram.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
14 years 10 months ago #50051 by grannie Mary
Replied by grannie Mary on topic Computer cleanup ?
Wow makes me really appreciate my man, he installed more ram, completely emptied my hard drive & reinstalled what I wanted, cost $100. plus dinner for him & his partner & as much wine as they could drink, (which was plenty)plus accommodation overnight, as it took quite some time to reinstal the programmes
It is now running so fast. Ask around & see if you can find someone similar.

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
14 years 10 months ago #50052 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Computer cleanup ?
Midge, where are you?

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 10 months ago #50082 by Midge
Replied by Midge on topic Computer cleanup ?
Thanks for you ideas guys:)

Nope, no pc techs in our circle of friends and acquaintances GrannyMary:(

Jude, I do keep up with those fairly easy to do clean-ups but feel after 5 years it's time for a major clean-up.

That's interesting that one can install ram yourself Arnie:D I had a quick look at some links from google and see there are ram sticks for sale on good old TM. I run AVG during the night, everynight. Will have to check how often Spybot runs[:I]

There is such a long list of programmes, wouldn't know what half them are but we haven't downloaded them. I'm reluctant to do start uninstalling in case they're essential to running the pc. I thought expert help would help me out in this dept. Yep, photos are all in My Pictures.

Have struck another problem today:(
A couple of weeks ago I installed an external hard drive to back up photos. Thought it was working as it should but when I tried to save pix to it today I got the error message "F:is not accessible"
"The semaphore time out period has expired" Huh[?] It is empty of files so god only knows where the photos that I saved last week have gone!! Anyone have any idea what this means[?]
Some days I just hate pcs:(

I'm down in North Otago Wyseyes.

My pc is a 4 or 5 year old HP Pavilion 522a.
Cheers:)

www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
14 years 10 months ago #50084 by wyseyes
Midge

The memory should be the easy part, we can talk you through the installation. Buying it should be just as easy... except we need to know what you already have.
The 522a has two memory slots, now what we need to know is if you have a single stick of 256Mb in one slot, or two 128Mb in each. If it is one, then just add another. If it is two, then the is a chance that your computer needs pairs installed.

The cheapest I can find DDR266 PC2100 ram is: 256Mb = $40, 512Mb = $51.50, 1Gb = $98.00. The more the merrier.

Given a list of programs I can weed out the possible gremlins, with your help.

TO fix your external drive you probably need to turn it off, and on again. Or yank the USB cable for a minute. The error sound like the computer is having trouble talking to the drive. If you open up My Computer, what drives are available? Should be C, D, and... ?

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 10 months ago #50091 by Midge
Ahh you're a genius Wyseyes!!! External hard drive problem sorted - unplugging the USB cable was the answer:D Hang about - after viewing the photos I had saved to it, I then got an error message saying that there was a fault with a USB cable, bugger!

"My Computer" has A C D and F drives listed. F did disappear for a few minutes there but I'm able to view the photos again.

Many thanks for offering your guidance to sort the pc out, very much appreciated:D

How do we find out whether it has one or two memory sticks installed[?] Do we take the top or side off the motherboard, or will it be recorded somewhere on the pc[?]

Perhaps we should communicate offlist, unless of course others are interested in learning about this too:)

www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
14 years 10 months ago #50093 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Computer cleanup ?
easiest way I know of is to open the CPU case and have a look at the board.

h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCate...cc=nz&dlc=en&lang=en
h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?doc...roduct=85357&lang=en

takes 2x DDR SDRAM PC2100 or PC1600
Max memory of 2Gb

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 10 months ago #50095 by wyseyes
Kiwi has it right, although there was a link on the hp page above which was just the ticket.

h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?doc...roduct=85357&lang=en

It shows two ways - read the BIOS (secret startup screen), or take the side off the case and look.
Both methods are explained, and as long as you don't touch anything it all should be OK.

I have a box of USB cables here, if you email me your address I can send you another. Might not fix the problem, but can rule out one suspected cause.

More
14 years 10 months ago #50133 by Midge
More thanks guys:D That link is great. Hope to have time to check it out further sometime over the weekend.

Re the USB cable, thank you Wyseyes, will be in touch soon :)

www.jerseycows.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds