Disk compression??

More
17 years 6 months ago #7513 by Valmai
Disk compression?? was created by Valmai
Norty me has not been doing 'defrag' as often as I should. Now I have all those 'cannot be moved' bits all over the place, so I dont have lots of continuous free space. Can I move the 'never to be moved' bits with compression or not? Should I compress the free space? My pc is so sloooooowwww!! Please relpy in words of one sylable or less;). HELP.

Carbon-based biological unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #126475 by la granja
Replied by la granja on topic Disk compression??
Hi Valmai
The most important thing you can do at this stage is delete anything you do not want, even the recycling bin. Copy as many as your files into disk and delete from the hard drive, this will give you some space and you might be able to do a defrag then. If you still cannot do it, copy more files to disk.

More
17 years 6 months ago #127008 by Jimbob
Replied by Jimbob on topic Disk compression??
Unmovable files are usually, but not always, System files. This means that you tamper with them at your own risk. If your machine is slow there are usually other issues to look at first:
Disk Cleanup removes many unwanted files, but not all.

Pop onto the internet and get a program called ccleaner and run this. IT will pull a lot of files.

You should also run a good antispyware application and clean out spyware. Ewido is ok.

Update and run your antivirus.

Once you have done these things, then defrag.

There are many variables. For example a FAT disk is more susceptable to fragmentation than an NTFS disk... jargon:)

If you are just an ordinary user, I say to people that it pays to get the machine properly serviced every year/18 months. It is money well spent. Think of it like a car.

Disk compression is something altogether different, and perosonally I do not recommend it unless there is absolutely no other option.

More
17 years 6 months ago #127026 by GBpeter
Replied by GBpeter on topic Disk compression??
Agree with Jimbob - data compression (as opposed to defrag) will slow the data read even further. Large Hard Drives are so cheap that if you are running out of space a new one would be a better solution.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds