Another extinct species :(

• maggies mum
16 years 6 months ago #707 by maggies mum
Another extinct species :( was created by maggies mum
I feel really sad that the Yangtze river dolphin has been declared extinct. It's a strange feeling knowing something as ceased to exist for ever.

www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/aug/...species.conservation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #49369 by RKH
Replied by RKH on topic Another extinct species :(
I saw that on the news last night too MM, it was a very strange feeling to me too. That river is a disgrace as are the majority of waterways in this selfish world, unfortunately I can't see the Chinese changing their ways for quite some time while their economy is on the rise, in fact in my opinion it's going to get a lot worse. Did you hear how many boats they counted on the river!! I was blown away, poor things didn't stand a chance.

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

More
16 years 6 months ago #49370 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Another extinct species :(
It is highly likely that in our own backyards (for some of us that's literal) the Kiwi will go extinct in our lifetimes.

Bearing in mind this sadness about these far-away dolphins, could you perhaps get more active in fighting for the proper contol of the biggest threat to the Kiwi in our own country and aggitate for people's attitudes to dogs to change? I don't mean that people mustn't have dogs if they choose, but that if they do, they simply must, for instance, be tied up at night when even though you like to believe they're sleeping peacefully at your back door, they're just as likely going off for a wander and finding lovely-smelling things to hunt.

If you can't or won't go in that direction, have a look at supporting organisations like www.kiwifoundation.org.nz so they can do more trapping of dogs, cats, mustelids in areas the Kiwi live and need protection to survive, let alone breed.

The extinction of any species in the world does sadden very much; but imagine how we'll feel if we don't do more now and the Kiwi is part of that headline in a few years time!

More
16 years 6 months ago #49371 by Nancy F
Replied by Nancy F on topic Another extinct species :(
It appears that we may be heading the same way with three of our own endemic dolphins... New Zealand doesn't have the best track record.. very very sad... :(

I guess for a lot of people in China they are living a very hand to mouth existance and preservation of a species would be low on their priorities.. sad....

Nancy

More
16 years 6 months ago #49372 by RKH
Replied by RKH on topic Another extinct species :(
You're right Isla, we all need to be doing what we can to help prevent this to anymore native NZ animals, but unfortunately a lot of us get complacent until it actually happens, then there is a bit uproar of people saying "more should've been done, how could "they" let this happen!" We all need to take responsibility for it. We are having issues down here with sea lions at the moment, they have decided to set up a colony at our beaches and some surfers and fishermen etc want to have them culled, I read that these particular sea lions are one of a kind. Talk about tunnel vision, I think they need to realise that we are invading their territory and not vice versa.

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

• maggies mum
16 years 6 months ago #49376 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Another extinct species :(
We're a destructive species aren't we! It'll be a long time before we're extinct! .....or will it?

More
16 years 6 months ago #49377 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Another extinct species :(
I remember a statement from a chap who works in natural disasters, most of which he says are actually human made (building in wrong places etc) - he says that the planet itself will always survive, our ability to live on it, due to the changes we have created, is another matter entirely...

No doubt we'll take a fair whack of the other species out before we go :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds