Fax Machines

• maggies mum
16 years 10 months ago #696 by maggies mum
Fax Machines was created by maggies mum
Got to go buy one.............ideas anyone!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
16 years 10 months ago #49126 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Fax Machines
C'mon! Wakey wakey!

:p :p :p

I can't make a decision on me own! I might buy the wrong one![:0]

More
16 years 10 months ago #49128 by Scouse Girl
Replied by Scouse Girl on topic Fax Machines
One that will work?
I have no idea sorry?

Ye know what I mean?...no!

• maggies mum
16 years 10 months ago #49130 by maggies mum
Thanks that very helpful! ;)

More
16 years 10 months ago #49132 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Fax Machines
Depends on what you do I suppose but I've got a Brother Laser MFC - scans, copies, prints and faxes. I don't use the scanner a great deal but handy to have, but the machine itself is brilliant for what I do. I also have a cheap printer as a back-up and for colour.

Shop around before you buy though and do a thorough comparison on consumeables. There's a huge variety out there which is all designed to thoroughly confuse you:D

Cheers,
Ronnie

PS - When I was looking, I was looking particularly for something that did a good printing job and could send and receive faxes. The Brother fits the bill.

• maggies mum
16 years 10 months ago #49133 by maggies mum
Thanks Ronney. I'll nip out soon and go ask in Noel Leeming, they'll flog me one no doubt and I'll get flybuys!

Can't be bothered running around asking too many questions, I hate shopping!

More
16 years 10 months ago #49134 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Fax Machines
Hiya MM,

We have been using a Brother All-in-One Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax for the past couple of years. The current model is MFC-5860CN:

www.brother.co.nz/Public/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=MFC5860CN

* Benefits are that it hooks up to your network so anyone can print without first needing to turn a computer on.

* It also functions as a standalone fax, again no PC required to send or receive faxes although of course, you can send directly from your PC if you want to.

* The ink cartridges are cheap and it has separate cartridges for each colour (4 in total) which lets you get the most use out of them.

* Finally, it will print photos directly from the memory card out of your camera.

There are also some Laser Printer based devices, but I suspect they are a bit over the top for what you are wanting.

Cheers,
Grant.

SNAP: Looks like Ronney and I both have the same idea :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

• maggies mum
16 years 10 months ago #49135 by maggies mum
I was hoping you'd be up GK! ;)

That'll do for me mate!!! Thanks

More
16 years 10 months ago #49136 by organicltd
Replied by organicltd on topic Fax Machines
whatever you buy don't get talked into buying a colour fax. They will only print out in colour if the sender has a colour fax. The cartridges are where they make the money. I use a brother mfc 7420 fax printer copier scanner. Works very well.

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

• maggies mum
16 years 10 months ago #49139 by maggies mum
Yeah I was thinking maybe not a colour one!

• maggies mum
16 years 10 months ago #49142 by maggies mum
I'll see what BD wants, he needs it for his new business so he may want to fax the odd colour brochure to clients!

I'll leave that decision to him.

Can you buy faxes with a built in answer machine too?

More
16 years 10 months ago #49144 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by maggies mum

Can you buy faxes with a built in answer machine too?

Here you go MM:

www.brother.co.nz/Public/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=MFC665CW

It has Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax plus Answering Machine as well.

Might just be the one for BD.

quote:Originally posted by maggies mum

I'll see what BD wants, he needs it for his new business so he may want to fax the odd colour brochure to clients!

Don't worry about the Colour Faxing thing. All of these devices have that capability built in but you are not paying any more for it. I must say I have yet to send or receive a colour fax though. Much better to scan and e-mail the file.

P.S. What is BD going to be doing for his new business?

I hadn't caught up with that development. Last I heard, he had started work at Huntly Power Station.

• maggies mum
16 years 10 months ago #49145 by maggies mum
He's still at Huntly. But not long after he left SKF he had a phone call asking if he'd do a spindle for someone. BD explained his situation but the fellas said can you do it anyway?

So he did! In the meantime he's had to use SKFs workshop to do part of it and now they want him to any spindle work that come their way! I mean why did they not set him up as they had intended when they first employed him, that was the whole point LOL! Anyway BD isn't complaining, he more than likely get all their work plus more. After all BD is the only person in NZ that does that kind of work as far as we know, so he's onto a winner!

More
16 years 10 months ago #49146 by OakhengeFarm
Replied by OakhengeFarm on topic Fax Machines
Having just bought a fax for work, I'd say go for laser unless you will be printing lots in colour. The guy in Noel Leeming told me that it costs 18c per page in ink to use an inkjet, but only 3c per page for laser. I also know from my one at home that the colour ink dries out and has to be replaced even if you never use colour, and it won't work if one of the colours runs out.

Don't just look at the cartridge price - inkjet cartridges are much cheaper, but how often do you have to replace them? A laser cartridge is heaps more expensive, but lasts for many months, and doesn't dry up, leak or block its jets.

And speaking from recent personal experience, if you do end up buying an inkjet, don't buy Brother - they have a known fault where the print head fails and has to be replaced (twice so far in our case) under warranty.

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
16 years 10 months ago #49149 by GrantK
Yes, you're right about the per page cost OF, but there's also the capital cost to consider and unless you do a LOT of printing, you won't get that back. Per Page Cost for Colour Laser is a LOT more than 3c by the way, although still less than 18c I suspect.

We also have a Colour Laser Copier/Scanner/Printer at our Auckland house and it gets hammered constantly by our 3 kids printing out all their University work. Definitely saves us money for that purpose.

But on the farm, we don't do anywhere near so much printing and instead of paying $250 + GST just for the Yellow Laser cartridge as I just had to do, we pay around $13 for a Yellow Inkjet cartridge for the Brother.

Regarding the Ink Cartridges drying up, I have had pretty much all available brands of inkjet printers in the past or currently:

HP, Canon, Epson and Brother

* Canon was ALWAYS drying up its ink after not being used for a while and we had to replace the print-head

* HP sometimes says the cartridge is empty, even though it's not. Also, the paper feed is ALWAYS causing problems.

* Epson is used as a backup if the kids run out of toner and it develops "bands" in the printout after not being used for a while. Generally that means replacing the ink cartridge.

* Brother has been the most trouble-free of them all and we definitely get more out of the ink cartridges than the HP or Canon. Probably on a par with the Epson I would say for printing cost, or maybe a little cheaper.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds