Amber isn't too impressed!

• maggies mum
14 years 10 months ago #693 by maggies mum
Amber isn't too impressed! was created by maggies mum
Amber today was not the slightest bit impressed with Isobel's new calf!
Hackles were up and a lot of grumbling was going on! ;)

Amber & Isobel were paddock mates when they were babies and both were hand reared. It brought a little lump to my throat when Amber went to see what her mate had got......soon passed though when Amber started her grumblings!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #49101 by LongRidge
Now that she has had her calf, she will be very hungry. Baleage, sometimes, does not keep well from season to season, so (unless you are certain that it will keep) now is a good time to feed it to the calved cows almost ad-lib.

• maggies mum
14 years 10 months ago #49102 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Amber isn't too impressed!
They've been having it for ages LR!

The bales are just spread between paddocks for ease of access.

More
14 years 10 months ago #49210 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Amber isn't too impressed!
Amber hasn't divided yet, has she? She'll probably understand the new arrival better, once hers have arrived.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

• maggies mum
14 years 10 months ago #49213 by maggies mum
It's a bit of a love hate relationship really, and very strange but fascinating behaviour. Amber will happily sleep outside in all weather foregoing any kind of shelter in order to sit on one side of the fence next to Isobel. And yet when Amber has got into the same paddock they fight like cat and dog, it's Amber who starts it too!! Her hackles go up, she arches her back and rises up and goes for Issy, who them retaliates by just about throwing Amber across the paddock. But if I happen to find them in a paddock together where Amber has gone through the fence they are right as rain. So strange but fascinating.
Amber is due Thursday, the day of the auction, I'm hoping she she either kid the day before, or the day after...I might let her kid in the morning! Failing that some Duct tape might solve the problem!

More
14 years 10 months ago #49221 by llamafarma
Take her down to the auction rooms, bound to bring a few "ah how cute's"!!!!!!!!Could be worth a few $ on the price!!!

2 Goats, 7 Chooks, 1 Cat 1 Dog, (RIP Jake) & 2 Kunekune's.......& a fabulous new rescue GSD,for now.......

• maggies mum
14 years 10 months ago #49225 by maggies mum
Yeah I could throw her in with the price! Mind you what if she started kidding? It might put some of those businessy types right off!

More
14 years 10 months ago #49252 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Amber isn't too impressed!
I think the masking tape has merit. :) Does Amber look like she's getting close to kidding? She might hold off until after the Auction. I hope you get a sunny day on Thursday. It'll make the crowds bigger. We'll be thinking of you then.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

• maggies mum
14 years 10 months ago #49257 by maggies mum
She could be anytime I guess, I was checking on and off all day yesterday as Emerald was due to kid today, well she popped yesterday when I was inside having a coffee, then BD came home and I was delayed going out. By the time we got down there Emmy had kidded, 2 bucks but one was dead, dammit! She probably didn't turn to clean him quick enough, too busy concentrating on the other one. It could have happened to Sapphires 2nd one too had I not been there to burst the bag! Methinks they are popping them out to bloomin' fast.
I'm not overly worried though, Emmy's not a huge goat so she'll be better off with just the one!
2 more to go, I do hope we get some girls! It may be the year of the buck!

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds