Changing from Dial up to Broadband

More
14 years 11 months ago #680 by max2
I going to admit being really embarrassed asking this question, because its probably a stupid one, but here goes:

some time ago, I upgraded with my ISP from dial up to broadband. I followed all instructions to install the speedtouch modem box etc.

A couple of you will know I have had recent issues with my usage being a lot higher since then than what I believe is correct. So while pondering the latest "reminder" email from my ISP re usage, I found (still)[:I] on my desktop the original "package" that I installed for dial up.... so I have removed it from the desktop.

Is it at all possible, that I have been "double using" my ISP usage by keeping this set up on my desktop when in IE supposedly operating on broadband?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
14 years 11 months ago #48905 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Changing from Dial up to Broadband
I dunno why you feel embarrassed! Heck I don't even know what you're talking about! ;)

More
14 years 11 months ago #48907 by wyseyes
Can you describe how the broadband modem connects to your computer? Is it a USB cable? Or is it a blue network cable?

Either way, you would have had to connect the broadband modem to the phone line. Assuming that to do this, you would have had to unplug the dial-up modem from the phone line first. Once disconnected, your dial-up modem will have been useless, and unable to do anything. The old package on the desktop won't have done anything bad, if you had tried it, it would probably just come back with 'can't find dial tone' or something similar.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 11 months ago #48908 by max2
Wyseyes, the broadband modem is connected via black USB cord to the "towerbox", the telephone line is plugged into the back of the modem, and then into the splitter unit for ADSL (Aussie version of being able to use the telephone and internet same time)telephone socket.

with the dial up system, I didn't have a sep. modem, the telephone line (which is a very valid point I didn't consider [:I])used to be plugged into the back of the "towerbox"...

Oh well, I thought I had a solution to my usage, it must really be me after all!

More
14 years 11 months ago #48913 by PeterNZ
Short answer: You internet browser can only use ONE connection!

Don't you have a usage meter? This should show you what you used then. It is usually available online on your ISP's web page.

One other thing you shouldn't forget is, if you download, lets say 1 MByte of data, your usage will be much more than 1 MByte! Every bit transferred across the line in any direction will be added to your usage! Example, you request a webpage, this request is a couple of bits, you then download a video, this will be transferred in packages, every package transferred needs to send a confirmation back to the server. Otherwise the server thinks you haven't received the package and would send it again. This all adds up over time and will be much more than the size of the stuff you download!

ISP's are meanwhile very reliable if it comes to download and upload sizes!

If you say your usage is a lot higher than you think it should be, on what data do you base this? I work with computers and I would have trouble telling you how much I use every day without using tools to measure my traffic. It also depends on what you do! Do you do only emails, then you should not use more than a couple of GBytes. Do you browse web pages then it is a bit more. Do you download videos or use internet telephone apps like skype your usage will be much higher etc.

Hope this helped a bit!

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
14 years 11 months ago #48916 by Kiwi303
If you want to know exactly how much your computer is using, you could invest in a packte sniffer type application that measures the size of each packet being sent and recieved and adds them all up.

PNZ, I think swaggie is talking about how she's had a few times like a trip to NZ or other days with the computer turned off but finding those days have data transfers logged in the online data usage records her ISP provides.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 11 months ago #48922 by max2
Thanks Kiwi303 that was part of the overall issue too. However I will experiment more with that next trip when I also turn off the modem!

PeterNZ, I used to be on a 200 plan for dial up. I came very close to using that allowance, so decided to upgrade to a 400 plan when I went across to broadband.
I was aware that I was looking at this site and another more often, as well as my regular banking etc. No skype, cut down on "video" jokes from friends, etc and I still (even after deleting spyware with adaware) heading up over that allowance too.

so I bit the bullet and went for the whole 600 with Bigpond, my ISP. Now I have gone over that limit twice, and I find the fees quite expensive compared to other ISP's overall. I should consider signing up with a better ISP, however we have our business email listed everywhere, so makes it difficult for someone of my limited understanding of how to keep that addy in the short term, but sign up with another ISP for a greater allowance...

But I am still suss on how my usage keeps growing.... when i don't feel that I am "browsing" much more than I used to, on the smaller plans....

More
14 years 11 months ago #48931 by max2
I forgot to answer the question re usage meter. Up until mid July, the ISP provided a taskbar shortcut so customers could click on it, and the usage meter would immediately be shown.

However I didn't find it up to date, usually it had some sort of delay/problem associated with it, and the ISP has since stopped providing the direct service. I have to log into my account now to see the usage instead.... a bit of a pain, if you want a quick look.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48932 by PeterNZ
Your ISP is required to provide you with a detailed usage report if you question the usage times! And if you had you rPC switched off but still usage during this time they will have to explain this!

I am with Telstra Clear and I can look at my usage online, broken down to the single hour for each day!

Your email problem is a common one. It is funny how people for example use [email protected] as their email address. If they want to change the provider they are either doomed or they have to notify all business partners of new email addresses. I always recommend to people if they don't want to invest in a domain name i.e. [email protected] then at least choose an email provider like gmail or similar which you can keep when you change ISPs! I never use my ISPs email address like [email protected] or [email protected]!

Sorry if I sound like a smarta*se! But IT is my job!

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

More
14 years 11 months ago #48933 by PeterNZ
Just found out that Bigpond provides a daily report as well, see here: bigpond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigpond.cfg...id=1284&p_Platform=N

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz

More
14 years 11 months ago #48959 by max2
Hi Peter, many thanks for that link, its where I found out the usage whilst I was in NZ not using it.... Bigpond told me it was very likely just another modem trying to contact my one. Considering I have the windows firewall turned on, I don't know how it would have been "seen"?

Anyhow, another thought, does checking your emails very regularly add to the usage count? I just realised mine is set to every 1 minute, would this request add up over time?

More
14 years 11 months ago #48969 by wyseyes
Checking your emails regularly would use very little, maybe about 100 bytes each time. Once a minute, email program open 24hrs, for the whole month would get to about 4Mb.

Bigpond's excuse is just that, an excuse. They don't know why, can't be bothered finding out, and have a little list of excuses that the average user doesn't understand and will most likely accept. Like I said before, the only people who could knowingly 'contact your modem' is bigpond. Bigpond should be able to tell you exactly which IP address contacted you, and when. If they use this excuse, they should be able to back it up with proof that it happened, not just pass it off and hope you do too.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 11 months ago #48976 by max2
I think you are right Wyseyes and I really look forward to closing it down when we move across the ditch, which is why I have left it as it is, instead of finding another ISP. Everything is just waiting waiting waiting for the house to sell...

More
14 years 11 months ago #48979 by wyseyes
Swaggie, does your modem have a power connection? Ie a little black wall transformer? Or does it only have the data and phone cables?

More
14 years 11 months ago #48986 by max2
Wyseyes it has its own transformer which I plug into the wall? Do you have a Plan B for me?

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds