Book Review site

More
15 years 9 months ago #6766 by Safi
Book Review site was created by Safi
How about contributing to a site with short review of your latest great read....? It might be a great way to find books that might appeal for when you are scanning library or book shop shelves
I'm willing to start - just finished 'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen. This novel is set in the back blocks of America during the 1930 Depression....it is the story of a young vet who faces (or runs away from) a major life crisis by joining a circus. The story is told through his recollections (as a now 90+ year old) of this time - it's quirky, humorous, romantic, hard, sad, violent and above all very human in it's portral of a life lived well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #117232 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Book Review site
Thanks for the book group tips. The whole thing is on hold till next year but have all the ideas in mind.
Have just finished reading Chasing the Current by Jenny Patrick. Its the story of 'Con the Brake' who is a character in her other 2 books. Follows his upbringing in the Faroe Islands and then his life in NZ. It contrasts the traditional life he knows with the freedom of a young NZ. It also follows the story of Anahuia, the Maori girl with whom he falls in love. I think it has more depth than her first books and I really enjoyed it.

More
15 years 9 months ago #117368 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Book Review site
Oops, the title is Catching the Current.

More
15 years 9 months ago #119358 by Safi
Replied by Safi on topic Book Review site
Just reading Bill Bryson's "The life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid". If you need something to warm you by laughing out loud (and long and hard)I'd recommend it. It's an autobiography of growing up in the 50's in US - only up to chapter 4 and have laughed so hard I frightened the cat off the bed!!! It's also a really interesting wander down the memory lane of simpler times, expectations and a slower pace of life.
Real warm me up in the midst of this sudden cold snap

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds