Computer Terminology - Help Please

More
14 years 11 months ago #662 by Toast
Could somebody please explain for me about the measurement units of data & how many equal the next level etc?

All this stuff about megabytes, KB, gig, etc.

Also, how many whatevers on a CD & then how many whatevers on a thumb drive?

Get my drift?

Would be grateful as I'm sure I use the wrong terms sometimes.

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48651 by wyseyes
The smallest piece of information that can be stored is a Bit. A bit either has a value of 0 or 1. (On or Off).

Eight bits in a row is known as a byte.
1024 Bytes is a kilobyte.
1024 kilobytes is a Megabyte (think floppy disk = 1.4 Megabyte)
1024 Megabytes is a Gigabyte (size of my first hard drive, 1 Gb)

Current Hard drives are up to 750 Gb.

The average CD holds ~650Mb.
The average DVD holds ~4Gb

Current thumb drives hold anywhere between 128Mb to 16Gb!!!

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 11 months ago #48652 by wyseyes
This just in...

1024 Gigabytes is a Terrabyte

You can buy a 1 Tb hard drive for $738.75.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 11 months ago #48657 by Toast
Thanks. That clears that up for me.

I note that most of my photos are in the 3,000 - 4,500 KB range; also note that some are way down in the low hundreds of KB even though they are virtually the same as some way up in the 3,000-4,500KB. Why is that?

Also, if my photo is 4,500 KB does that mean it would not fit on an old floppy disc?

Thanks.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48660 by wyseyes
Correct, your 4500Kb photo will not fit onto a 1400Kb floppy. Floppy disks are near useless these days. I have one on my desk, I use it to sit my coffee on.

When your camera takes a photo, it records a lot of information. Usually it is made up of lots of little dots, called pixels. Each pixel is a single colour. Most computers have a range of 4 294 967 296 (32 bits) colours.
Your camera probably takes a picture made up of 3072 x 2304 = 7 077 888 pixels, each with their own 32 bits of colour information.
This is why your pics are so big. They contain lots of good information with which to print a fantastic large photo.

Now when you open the pics on our computer, some viewing programs take it upon themselves to do a bit of compression of the file, removing redundant or non-seen colours. Most use clever tricks to save your file a into a smaller file size.
Then if you want to send the file to someone, and you feel that a 4500Kb is too large, you can reduce the size down to... say 1024x768 (also known as VGA). This is roughly 1/10th of the size, but still contains enough information for someone to easily see the photo

More
14 years 11 months ago #48670 by Toast
Thanks.

I realised later that the ones which had become smaller were ones I had re-saved with a different name but not necessarily re-sized.

I learnt in my photography course for the digital camera that for Trademe & sending via email you can reduce to say 640x480 pixels but will lose some quality. This is fine if you are not concerned with top quality but if you are sending a photo which somebody is going to frame & keep it is better to put it on a CD & mail it.

Have I got this right?

Thanks.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48679 by powerguy
Also note that the correct symbol for a bit is b and for a byte is B. These days many people interchange them which is not really correct. So 1024kB = 8192kb.

A byte came about from the early microprocessors which were 8 bit so each "packet" of data consisted of 8 bits. That means 0 was 00000000 and 1 was 00000001. Then the next generation came about which were 16 bit so they used 2 bytes for each packet of data. Etc Etc.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
14 years 11 months ago #48683 by wyseyes
If you are wanting to print a pic, and frame it for viewing, then keep it at the highest resolution you can, and print it on a printer set to the highest dpi (dots per inch = resolution) you can. I always keep the original pics, and then copy and resize if I want to use or send.

I find that reducing pics for trademe down to 640x480 is too much. A picture which has been put through the Windows Picture Manager (the editor which comes with MS Office), and compressed/resized to 1024x768 will come out to about 120KB. This is just nice for having a close look at the item offered, when 640x480 is not much bigger than the little placeholder pic on the auction page.

Don't you hate clicking on the placeholder pic, and getting nothing larger?

More
14 years 11 months ago #48707 by Toast
Thanks.

Just put a whole lot on Trademe last three nights & went to 640/480. More batches to do over next few nights; will do them to the higher number.

Yes, some of the pic's are not much help. I try not to be guilty of that & I crop where necessary & even scribble out scrape marks on walls surrounding items. I don't doctor the actual item though.

I also remember the tutor saying to save a 2nd copy before re-sizing & other editing. Will do that in future. Most of my stuff at the moment is Trademe and record keeping.

Thanks again.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds