Life without Norton Antivirus

More
14 years 11 months ago #643 by Birman Babe
My system has been running very slowly and I am still on dialup; no Broadband in this area, so I took my system into Thames today and had them remove Norton and reinstal NOD32, which is what they use themselves. I am so happy with the speed I am now running at and just hope my new antivirus works okay. Anyone heard of NOD33, or using it ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48368 by wyseyes
Also understand that you may be in the 30 day free trial, after that they will hassle you for money.
There are free AV programs, like AVG (ugh, had bad dealings with this), and Avast!

Yes, Norton has become a bloated pus filled boil on the backside of Windows, but then again, so has Windows.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 11 months ago #48369 by Birman Babe
wyseyes, I get a 12 months trial with this NOD32 so I thought I may as well give it a go. I mentioned AVG to them but they dont recommend that program either.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48370 by organicltd
get yourself a MAC and all these problems will disappear. I have been on the internet for yonks and used to have norton. now I have nothing.

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48372 by wyseyes
Heh, I gave away all but one of my 30 macs, it is still running fine. Made in 1992.

I think there are a total of 47 mac virii, compared to 47million for windoes.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 11 months ago #48375 by GBpeter
I use NOD32 with the Windows Firewall - it is very highly rated in the PC reviews and runs quietly in the background whereas I found Norton had so many bells and whistles it was a constant pain!

More
14 years 11 months ago #48390 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Life without Norton Antivirus
AVG is fine, have run it for years with no problems, but i agree about norton, it was installed on this laptop when I got it, but made my internet connection (dialup) so slow as to be unusable.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48398 by witheze
My Norton has expired, can I get by without any protection, I dont go into the internet much but do get a few "been around the block emails" Can someone narrow me down to a couple of choices, don't mind paying a bit as long as I can EASILY install? I Know there are threads in archives and I looked on the internet but too much choice! I think the Norton still works on old viruses, didn't know it could be slowing my dial-up down...... Read the above about Nod and AVG, how do I install if you think I need something, I don't download, too slow here.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48401 by Birman Babe
witheze, if you are near a computer techo then it might pay you to pay him $50, or whatever, to download NOD32 or whatever for you as it will take hours on dial-up. For $60 I got a year of NOD32. Picaso (picture programme) and also lots of bugs taken off my system. Was very happy with that and on Broadband it takes no time at all. Otherwise if you google NOD32 you can download from internet.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48404 by Gracelands
I had exactly the same problem BB. An older version of Norton I had ran well, but when renewal time was up, it wasn't supported, and I had to pay $100 for the newer version with all the bells and whistles. It kept locking my oldish system up completely, so I removed it and downloaded and installed AVG.

In the first run-through AVG found and removed two worms that had been there for 3 years!

Would never go back to Norton. AVG's got my vote.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds