A water curse?

More
14 years 11 months ago #638 by Ghilly
A water curse? was created by Ghilly
So much for my DIY on the hot water cylinder. I went under the house and had a look yesterday and it's still leaking. This time it's not getting the floor wet because I had to chip away the flooring around the pipe so I could see what I was doing last time. It's not dripping a rusty slurry of water which runs down the pipe and onto the ground. Not only that but the tap thingy that turns the water off and on to the cylinder has started dripping as well.

To add to the water hassles, the washing machine spat it's dummy last week... or was it the week before.....? So after saving up for something entirely different, we went out and spent the savings on a new washing machine. This one only has a cold water hose, no hot water. It heats its own water. Kim went to turn the taps off to the old washign machine and now the hot water tap is leaking. These were brand new when we put the old washing machine in because the old cold water tap was leaking inside the wall. A hole was cut to get to the connection and two brand new taps were attached.

So, we cured the leaking toilet cistern, we have a brand new toilet! We can now flush, and walk away!!!!! It's amazing how we take a simple thing like that for granted.

The spouting is fixed, as far as I can tell, no waterfalls at the corner of the house when it rains.

However, ..... I have just made a cup of tea and it tastes like I filled the kettle from a swimming pool. Chlorinated to the hilt.

We pay for this stuff and sometimes it's undrinkable.
We pay for broadband which is often either slower than dialup or not working at all.

Checking out the rates bill we are also paying for the Auckland Museum AND Lake Taupo, neither of which we visit more than once every three or four years if that.

I'm starting to wonder if we should get a well dug out the back somewhere and tootle out with a bucket on a rope to collect the water.

The slighest whiff of wind or rain and the power goes out. So much for the technilogical age, you seem to pay but not necessarily get, and pay for what you don't always use.

I wish the broadband eggs would reimburse the users for the times they can't actually get broadband (or dialup). That would make them shift their butts into gear.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48330 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic A water curse?
Sounds like you need a few washers for assorted taps and valves.;) Cant help with the broadband, Im still using pedal powered connections[xx(]. Dont know how much it would cost up there to get a bore dug but if the water's not too deep I can point you in the direction of a homemade pump which would cost you mostly time and very little money!:) You think you got it bad[?] In the last month my TV has downgraded itself from color to b/w, my toaster died ( without last rites) Im heating my cup-a-tea up in the microwave. My washing machine doesnt spin anymore, but it does still dance all around the laundry, my vacuum cleaner isnt sucky anymore which really does suck. I also need a new mattress, the centre is about 3" lower than the sides. Wanna swap problems??? Huh???

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48341 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic A water curse?
Oh Yakut. Excuse the pun, but it never seems to rain but it pours for you mate. I so hope things start to look up soon. You do so well at giving anything a go. My washing machines on its way out to. its a smartdrive and its been brilliant, 12 years old now and has done so dam well. I am nursing it through washes but I fear somethings about to go.
Spring will be here soon mate and with it new hope:)

More
14 years 11 months ago #48346 by Nancy F
Replied by Nancy F on topic A water curse?
oooh Valmai.. I'd be very interested in a home made pump.. we've just connected up our new water tank but now have to figure how to get the water from that one to the one that is actually connected to the house.. it will be only when the main tank gets low that we will need it so having a pump that requires time and not money just hits the spot....

I'm too scared to commiserate with you guys because currently (I say this with fingers and toes crossed) everything electrical is working ok in our house... ooooohhh.. perhaps I shouldn't have said that... things are bound to go wrong now.... [:0]

Nancy

More
14 years 11 months ago #48367 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic A water curse?
Sorry to hear of your hassles Valmai, they always seem to come in bunches.
I cleared out the laundry this morning, thinking I'd unhook the old washing machine and get it out of the way.
The tapes were off but when I tried to unscrew the hoses, water came gushing out and it wasn't from what was left in the hoses. These taps were new and have been turned on and left on, so really, they haven't been used. Dratted water! My knowledge on how a tap works is about as much as how a TV or a computer work. I push a button, if it doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's broken end of story.
I'd LOVE someone to come in and re do allllll the plumbing, taps pipes, everything.
I think we'd have to go down along way to find water. Besides, I know what goes into the creek next door and there is no way I'd want any water seepage from that getting into a water supply.
We are a lot higher than the creek. My Dad was worried we'd be flooded out until I told him the paddocks all the way across to SH1 would have to flood first, then SH1 would have to be under metres of water before it even came close to our property, let alone the house so we're ok on that front. As for a well..... well...... like I said, it would have to go down a long way..... and then I doubt if the quality could be trusted. It was just one of those idealic dreams where it never rains when you need the sun and every day is a fresh spring day...... you know the picture book ideal?

A woman wrote about something similar, 'There's a cow in my garden' I think the book was called. She had a picture in her mind of going out every morning to milk a goat. She had a red and white gingham apron on and a little stainless steel bucket and a milking stool and it was all rosey posey. The reality, when it finally came about was a far cry from the daydreams she'd enjoyed. Hooves in buckets, mud to kingdom come, rain dribbling down your neck as you argue with a contrary animal who is dead set against any plans you may have had.
All I can say is Disney has a lot to answer for, putting these idealistic pictures into the heads of many. ;)

We're off to get some new taps, then I am going to draw the short straw for crawling under the house to turn the hot water supply off.

"Life is just a bowl of allbran"

Yakut

More
14 years 11 months ago #48386 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic A water curse?
We did it!!!!!
Picked up some bog standard brass outdoor taps at M.10 for $8 each as opposed to the bog standard laundry taps for $32 each!!!!
I asked the bloke in charge of the plumbing bit if they would do the job and he said yes! Saved us heaps because the last new ones we got were exactly the same as the $32 ones.
Water was turned off, taps replaced.
I chopped a tiny, hen pecked hebe down to nothing and backed the ute up as close as I could to the steps. We only had to get it up two steps and into the porch, then over the door frame thing and slide it into the laundry!!! It was incredibley heavy!!!
The hydraulic stays that hold the top part of the back of the ute canopy don't work so I have a bit of wood I use to hold it up. This was put in place until I needed to move the truck, so I put the wood back into the back of the ute. The 'door' rested on top of the washing machine until we had managed to wriggle the washing machine forward just enough to pivot it and swing it over the threshold.... at which point there was nothing holding up the back of the canopy and it slammed down onto my forehead.
After the many little stars had disappeared, we got the machine over the inside doorway (it's an alloy frame so it sits up about two centimetres from the floor.
The drain hose twisted the wrong way and Kim leant forward to see the back of the machine and whacked the top of her head on the new taps.
I don't know about Kims head but mine is feeling a bit sort of stingy.

Kim set the machine going on a hot wash to clean it out (it was a second and had been used) and now we have some clothes being washed!!! It's so quiet!!!! The automatic front loading washing machine we had when I was a kid had to be bolted to a concrete block in the floor and I mean a block! I was about a yard square! It washed the clothes wonderfully and rocked the house when it hit spin mode. This one... you barely know it's working! It's an Electrolux model and it was a toss up between this one and a 'silencer' of the same make. I can't imagine they could be any quieter. No whirring scream or anything.

I've already been questioned on "where were you? watching the washing machine?" To which a rather halting excuse came " um..... no... I was just... um.... doing something.... in the laundry....... well
Ijust wantedtosee howitwasgettingon!?"
YAY!!!! Kim is thrilled! She always wanted a front loader, she claims they clean the clothes better and they don't wear them out as quickly as agitater washing machines.

Trouble is, now I have to keep the laundry free from the usual floatsom and jetsom that seems to wash up in there for the want of somewhere else to put it. You know the sort of thing? ' I'll just put it in here and put it away somewhere later....'
If I knew anything about the doings of washing machines, I might be tempted to Tu tu around with the old one and see if I could get it going so I can wash animal towels in it.... but I know nothing of these things. It'll be stored until the next inorganic rubbish collection... next year sometime. That's where the old stove went. Shame really, it had come in handy, well just the elements on the top. They were an excellent place to put eggs until I was ready to take them inside. The coils of the elements stopped them rolling around and falling off. The next best thing as Dot the sparrows cage which is waiting for me to dismantle it and put it away. The eggs sit on the top of the cage and don't roll off. I see them after I've finished feeding everyone and take them inside... otherwise I might pick them up when I find them and either put them in a pocket (a disaster waiting to happen) or put them somewhere else and forget them.... or the roll off and save me the bother of taking them inside and eating them. There is logic in all my hording!!!

Yakut

More
14 years 11 months ago #48388 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic A water curse?
Nancy Here you go.. it is good to 150 feet.
www.millennium-ark.net/News_Files/INFO_Files/Hand_Pump.html

www.journeytoforever.org/farm_library/device/devicesToC.html
If this is really your thing you will love this one as well!

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
14 years 11 months ago #48389 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic A water curse?

quote:Originally posted by Valmai

www.journeytoforever.org/farm_library/device/devicesToC.html
If this is really your thing you will love this one as well!

I can thoroughly recommend that site, lots of brilliant information there. I also took the time to copy that book from online into a word document if you are interested.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds