Alan Carrs, Easy way to stop smoking!

• smilie
15 years 11 months ago #5909 by smilie
Has anyone read, had success with this book?? Have a frined who read it and stopped straight after reading it. From what I have heard it has worked on so many people. would so love to stop and am going to give reading this a try.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #107919 by Pisces woman
Yep my Dad used it and gave up, a year later (December) my brother used it and gave up and in January I read it and gave up and I will never have another cigarette. I have met heaps of other people who also gave up after reading the book. Unfortunately I have a couple of friends who wont read it! I had been smoking for 15 years, and to be perfectly honest I didnt really want to give up but after reading the book my whole belief system has changed. It is great being a non smoker and I cant understand how I smoked for so long. Read it and give it a go!!! I found the first four days a little hard (I just kept busy) then I was fine after that. Good luck!!!

More
15 years 11 months ago #107929 by jrp
I read it a number of years ago - then had a ciggie straight away. Had the same thing with the hypnotist as well - lit up as I drove out his driveway. Say what you like but I was never a quitter.

My sister-in-law even went to one of the Alan Carr seminar things they run (she went in Wellington but the people who ran it were based in Auckland). She went about six months before she started again. But they do have a money back guarantee with the seminars so you wouldn't be losing anything.

After sounding so negative, I must say the book makes some good arguments against smoking - which I may have taken on board and it may have helped when I gave up cold turkey after 20 or so years of puffing away. So go for it.

More
15 years 11 months ago #107942 by Isla
Someone not so far from here smoked for 30-odd years, read the book on recommendation from the GP and with a bit of anti-psychotic (ok, I'm exaggerating a little ;)) drug assistance for the withdrawal anxiety, gave up with the book. Great stuff, since I'd been rather frequently reminding him (Ronnie would have a particularly unflattering word for this one, I'm sure) that he had undertaken to give up when I did about seven years beforehand!
It seems to work wonders for some and not for others, but works so well if it does, that it's worth a try!

More
15 years 11 months ago #108184 by Dream Weaver
Thanks for the feedback. I will buy it and give it a go. I remember after having 2 sessions with a hypnothearipst I ended up in bed feeling so ill. My heading was so weird I was dizzy and felt sick even when lying down. I put up with it for a week but by the Saturday I couldn't stand the vertigo anymore so had a smoke, I so don't want withdrawl symptoms like that again.

More
15 years 6 months ago #131736 by bsadler
i was smoking 40 a day (60 on a good day!!). i had smoked since i was about 18 y.o. and decided to quit when i was around 46 or so. i read carr's book, chewed toothpicks for 2 weeks and have never had a cig since (nor the slightest desire to have one).

i was one very committed smoker but i believe the book worked for me.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132112 by Julie J
Bsadler - Were you really committed to giving up? My husband is a heavy smoker and makes noises of stopping, has tried patches and hypnosis in the past unsuccessfully. I have thought of buying the book for him, but did wonder if you would really "want" to give up for it to work - know he still enjoys his puffs!

More
15 years 6 months ago #132117 by Isla
Julie, the previously heavy smoker I live with had insisted that he wished to continue, so when he was told by a medical professional that he really needed to stop, there was only that (and a fair bit of pressure from me) to propel him in that direction, but as the Dr had suggested the book, he followed its instructions and hasn't had the urge to smoke since. Now he's one of those dreadful reformed people and goes around making loud noises about the stink of others who still do it. I presume you have to want to do it on at least some level of conciousness, but it can work on those who aren't completely committed.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132122 by Julie J
Could be a Christmas present I think! :)

More
15 years 6 months ago #133836 by bsadler
julie j: i'm not sure that i was that committed to giving up. the problem was that even tho i had done my degree in medical science, and understood perfectly well the risks of smoking, that, in itself, was not enough to make me quit. dire warnings from the nanny state simply made me more determined to keep smoking.

carr's book worked for me because he dealt rationally with the fears smokers have about quitting and, primary amongst those fears, was the fear that life simply wouldn't be as enjoyable without a cigarette (would you ever enjoy a drink again, how could you have a cup of coffee, how would the post-coital glow be and on and on).

i understood his logic and accepted that after a short period of discomfort ( a couple of weeks) while the nicotine left my system i probably would have no logical reason to smoke again and, once there was no logical reason to smoke again, i wouldn't want to smoke again.

it worked.

carr says at the beginning of his book words to the effect that "by the time you've finished this book you will have quit". i have known people who refused to finish the book because they knew carr was correct but, for whatever reason, they simply didn't wish to quit.

More
15 years 5 months ago #134173 by Dream Weaver
I have to say I am reading it but at a slower pace than I normally would Lol. The book makes sense and he has written it in such a understanding way, it all makes sense and so fingers crossed. I was told by a friend that a friend of theirs had stopped 3/4 from the end of the book, left it a year and re read it and it worked even after all that time.
I have been warned by my Dr to STOP! I have a STRONG family history of heart problems and also my cholestrol is very high. I know I have to do it and yes I do really want to quit, wish i had never begun but the more i try to tell myself that I do not want a smoke the mind then goes into panic and wants one more. I know its mind over matter and so will keep reading the book.

• chooky
15 years 5 months ago #134176 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic Alan Carrs, Easy way to stop smoking!
Come on Smiley - you can do it .

More
15 years 5 months ago #134216 by Dream Weaver
Thanks for the support Chooky, its VERY much appreciated and i will give it my best shot.

More
15 years 5 months ago #136263 by Julie J
Well, the book hasn't been opened by my hubby yet - reckons he will read it one day - watch this space!! Good luck Smilie - be strong!

More
15 years 4 months ago #138937 by Dream Weaver
Thanks Julie J, and tell hubby the book is amazing, weird though as while reading it, it makes so much sense that you have this feeling it IS going to work so you tend to slow the reading down,Lol have know alot who do it, its even mentioned in the book how people will slow down but its worked for all I know who have read it.

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds