google earth

More
16 years 8 months ago #548 by rob
google earth was created by rob
i am using the free download for google earth,:) does anyone know of a better free one,i dont know how often its updated, if at all

thanks

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #46783 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic google earth
Depends when they take the photos, if you "pull" back out of the immediate area, dates will appear on the "map" showing you when each photo was taken.
For our area, its still in 2006. For some of my family's area in Switzerland, its a lot sooner, as is my parents home in the Blue Mtns NSW.....

I would like it in "real time" though, as I am sure with all the satellites its available, but I doubt it will ever be allowed to go public with privacy regulations etc...

More
16 years 8 months ago #46793 by Desert Rat
Replied by Desert Rat on topic google earth
The main reason you don't see the imagery updated too often on Google Maps and Google Earth is cloud cover. An overhead pass, during the middle part of the day (to maximize contrast and color saturation), with little or no cloudiness to obstruct surface detail, is actually a pretty rare thing in large parts of the world. See the Palmerston North area for illustration....

Google cherry-picks the available imagery from the vendors depending on the region and resolution photographed, and then licenses the good stuff and spends a LOT of people+computer time stitching it together. There are places where, if you look closely, you can see the seasons change from one paddock to the next (around Rotorua airport used to be great, but it's recently been updated). One of my favorites is the Waipa River in flood from Otorohanga all the way to the Waikato.

First rule of holes: When you're in one, stop digging.

More
16 years 8 months ago #46795 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic google earth

quote:Originally posted by swaggie

Depends when they take the photos, if you "pull" back out of the immediate area, dates will appear on the "map" showing you when each photo was taken.

Thanks for that tip Swaggie. I had been wondering how to figure out when the various photos were taken. I just updated to the latest Google Earth 4.0 and love all the new features like Photo Icons which link to photographs that have been posted by various people visiting our area. There are also other new icons for things like Wikipedia entries etc.

All good, but I still can't figure out when the photo of our area was taken. No dates appear on the maps for me, but there is an area in the centre bottom of the viewing window which variously says:

* (c) 2007 Europa Technologies
* Image (c) 2007 Terrametrics
* Image NASA
* Image (c) 2007 Digital Globe

These lines change depending on which exact area of Northland I am looking at, but they don't appear on any of the maps at all. What do you mean by that exactly? Give me a step-by-step guide on how to find this info. if you would be so kind :)

By looking at our property, I know for sure that this photo wasn't taken in 2007. The photo looked exactly the same last year when I first started using Google Earth and there are areas of our property we have changed drastically since the photo was taken. My guess is that it dates from late 2003 but it would be nice to know exactly.

P.S. Sorry I didn't get to meet you at Fieldays. Which days were you there?

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
16 years 8 months ago #46809 by max2
We were there on the Thursday, divided ourselves into the tractor loving group V. rare breeds, woolly garments and animals, cheese lovers group and went from there.

I didn't know where to look for you Grant, but we came into the rare breeds section if you were there. We were hanging around the K ponies for a while looking for GloPony in case she was there.

More
16 years 8 months ago #46810 by max2
just picked up the new version of Google earth too, had a look at our area in NZ (still the same) and our area in NSW (still the same) but neither have their dates on them anymore....

So pulled back out considerably furthermore and found other dates in red on the pictures surrounding each of ours. I am sure the dates were in yellow last time (doesn't matter anyhow) so it hasn't updated photos of our areas at all and no longer has a date (that I can find).

Perhaps that is the same for your immediate photo as well Grant?

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds