Fish and Chips?

More
16 years 7 months ago #546 by Ghilly
Fish and Chips? was created by Ghilly
We don't get takeaways very often but the last couple of times, the fish has been really ..... fishy.
I've noticed that when this happens, the really nasty bits seem to be what I think is fat. It's a sort of greyish brown colour and runs in strips down the fillet.
I was wondering if this 'fat' strip is a seasonal thing?
I'm not at all fussed on really fishy tasting seafood and I've seen this strip on fish at different times of the year but the last two times it's been really nasty and from totally different areas so it's not the shop.

Tonight was the second time in about a month. I couldn't eat it and the little bit I did have... I can still taste it! Blech!

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #46765 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Fish and Chips?
We also do not have fish and chips very often, but when we do, we have the Blue cod rather than the "fish" as this could be any old species and not all that great tasting and prone to the problems you are mentioning.

We prefer to pay a little more, but know we are really going to enjoy the fish.

cheers
Jan

• maggies mum
16 years 7 months ago #46767 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Fish and Chips?
Don't you mean "Fush and Chups" ????

More
16 years 7 months ago #46770 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Fish and Chips?
sounds like lemon fish, a species of dog shark. fish n chip shops buy their fish ready to fry as fillets from a limited number of fishery distributers, the "Fish" youget can be whatever there is a glut of in that catch, I tend to ask for gurnard if they have it, or snapper.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
16 years 7 months ago #46784 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Fish and Chips?
Yakut, we had a great feed of fish and chups (and sweet corn fritters, crumbed mussels etc) at Port Waikato the other week, and took an Aussie friend along to enjoy the view.

That shouldn't be too far away from you... and I thought it a good meal as appropriate to the surroundings....

More
16 years 7 months ago #46790 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Fish and Chips?
Fishy fish, is not fresh fish! Simple as that...
That amonia taste is cause it's not fresh.
I am a fish farmer... so know a bit about fish ;)

It's nothing to do with that strip of darkish coloured meat, that's just the flesh closest to the main bone usually.

Sundays

More
16 years 7 months ago #46798 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Fish and Chips?
Swaggie, was that feed from Sunset Beach? That's where we got the first feed that was fishy. We've been there before and it was fine then. The other problem we had at Sunset Beach was the idiots racing around on motorbikes. The plan had been to get there before sunset but I miss timed it a bit and we got there just on dark. Some git was burning rubber outside the shop while we were waiting. We decided it was a bit too cool to sit out on the grass and it just didn't feel safe anyway, so we sat in the car. This moron was hooning around with no helmet and no lights and making the whole outing a regretful experience which wasn't made any better by the whiffy fish.

Because the last time we were there the fish was fine, I wondered if it was just the fatty streak in the fish.

Kaiaua is a fab place to get fush and chups as well. The seagulls take the left over chips from your hand if you hold a chip out and wait. Amazing photos can be snapped with a bit of paitence and a quick camera operater.

Yakut

More
16 years 7 months ago #46808 by max2
Yes Yakut, Sunset Beach is where we head, never been of an evening (yet) but they seem to do a very brisk trade during lunchtimes etc, and as yet, we haven't had a dud batch.

I had heard there was evening problems out there, by some accounts not by locals, but by "blow ins". Not pleasant all the same...

More
16 years 7 months ago #46871 by Louimay
Replied by Louimay on topic Fish and Chips?
Gee you guys are bringing back memories.

I spent most of my childhood and teen years growing up in Tuakau. We regularly went to Kaiaua and Port Waikato for fish n chips. Kaiaua was the best!!

More
16 years 7 months ago #46913 by max2
Louimay, do you remember the beaches clearing of people early afternoon as all the dairyfarmers had to go home for milking in the afternoon?
Its one of Hubby's memories, watching the "mass" evacuation of the beaches....

We watched the old tractors and quads last visit pulling the boats into the water from the baches in the village at Port W, and we both felt that one day, some moron with no regard for anyone would cause injury and then the authorities would ban what has long been a Kiwi tradition of being able to take your vehicle (sensibly) onto the beach.
Sounds from Yakut's post and from what others have been telling us, that although Port W is still "old kiwi" that the day this happens may not be all that long off...:([V]

More
16 years 7 months ago #46923 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Fish and Chips?
We were at Kariotahi beach a couple of years ago, just having a look, not swimming. As we walked and watched, someone was learning to hanglide, a small child and her parents were flying a kite and amidst all of this and other usual beach activities there were people driving 4WD's and quite a few quad bikes and motorbikes belting about. At one point, the kid with the kite had to move up the beach to make way for a 4WD as it blatted through.
It was hardly a relaxing day at the beach. Not only did you have to watch you weren't mown down by some crazed fool, but the perpetual racket set up by the motorbikes drowned out the surf.

Ban them! The only excuse for a motor vehicle on the beach is to get a boat in or out and of course rescue and so forth.

We watched one idiot and his mates at Muriwai, driving the old quad they had, up into the side of the dunes as far as they could without flipping it and then back down onto the beach. They did this all along the beach, back and forth until finally, the quad died. It was a long walk back pushing it but I doubt it put them off doing it again. There were signs all along the edge of the dunes asking people to keep of them as they were eroding and new growth had been planted, plus the mention of nesting birds.

They went racing past us waving and yelling in a wahoo sort of way. "this is fun, aren't we cool". Kim took a few photos of them but they came out all blurry, otherwise we might have been able to hand them over to whoever sorts these idiots out.

Louimay, my favourite beach is Kaiteriteri.... or it was. I heard it has changed so much! I saw a photo in a book I was given. It was a campsite at Kaiteriteri beach motor camp in 1937, there were 8 campsites!!!! Ok so it was well before my time but it didn't seem so bad during the 60's and 70's. There were a few baches and a motel but now the ever increasing decline in public coastline and bays such as Kaiteriteri becoming meccas for ludicrously large holiday homes has wrecked the NZ hoilday ideal.....
Sorry, I'm on my soapbox again. It used to be such a wonderful place and it stings to think what's been done to this gorgeous area. :(

Yakut

More
16 years 7 months ago #46925 by max2
Yes all it will take is one Idiot who will be "sorry" after the event and lots of sensible folk will have another activity stopped that has been responsibly conducted by the majority over many years.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds