Diana Gabaldon & Sara Donati

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #5412 by bak2basics
Hiya all.

I am going on a shopping spree in August and wanting to know if anyone can suggest to me another good set of books to read. Have started final Diana Gabaldon and have the Sara Donati books lined up next, but they will get knocked over very quickly. I am thoroughly enjoying these two authors so anything similar that you all know of would be great to hear about.
Thanks

Waiting patiently.....:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #102437 by jeannielea
Masterton have just had 'Yarns in Barns" week and I heard Aussie author Peter Watt speak about his books. They are historical novels, usually written in sequence but can stand alone as Diana Gabaldon's do. He's written about the Aus outback, and also Papua and the latest is about NZ-Aus history. Have bought my first one and it looks okay but will let you know. Jenny Pattrick was also at the seminar and her books are good. The Denniston Rose and Heart of Coal are the best known ones.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #102540 by bak2basics
Thanks for that, just checked out Peter Watt and Jenny Pattrick on line...looks pretty good.

More
15 years 11 months ago #105029 by jeannielea
Have almost finished the Peter Watt book. It was Eden, a wartime story about PNG. But I'm disappointed in PW as an author so maybe borrow one of his books first! The story is okay but its rather overwritten for my liking. Other Aussie favourites though are Bryce Courtney's Potato Factory series. And fairly old now but still enjoyable is another series called God is an Englishman but I can't remember the authour. A google search might help.

More
15 years 11 months ago #105201 by bak2basics
I enjoyed Bryce Courtney a lot, although must admit I have not read all his novels. My first intro to Bryce Courtney was 'The Power of One' followed by 'Tandia' and later also 'The Potato Factory'. Wilbur Smith is another good read as is Jean Auel. Searching Randon House web site I discovered Dorothy Dunnet and my sister has sent me a book written by Lady Barker about Station life in New Zealand, first published in 1870.

I don't think I will ever tire of reading, such a joyous way to spend my time.:D

More
15 years 11 months ago #107830 by jeannielea
The God is an Englishman series was by Delderfield so a google search may turn up some info. Have you tried Edward Rutherford's books? Historical novels covering several centuries, usually based around a place like London or Dublin. The same families keep recurring through the generations. A bit like James Michener in style - I like his stuff too. Then Stonehenge was another great read and amazing about how that place came to be though its a novel too.

More
15 years 9 months ago #116514 by jeannielea
What books did you get B2B? I have now discovered Bernard Cornwell and really enjoyed the one I have read so far. He has written lots of historical novels.

More
15 years 9 months ago #118034 by bak2basics
I have ended up getting the latest Wilbur Smith 'Triumph of the Sun' and Diana Gabaldon 'A Breath of Snow and Ashes. Also found a book called 'Foxmask" written by Juliet Marillier, born in Dunedin and now living in Perth, Aussie.

Heading out of town in a few weeks and looking forward to browsing around Kmart and Target and the $2 throw out bins.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds